The Champagne wine region is the historical land of France. The picturesque countryside is covered with vine, idyllic valleys and pristine forests, decorated with ancient cities, castles and serene abbeys. The region’s impressive cultural heritage derives in part from the heritage of the Counts of Champagne and the region’s thriving trade in the Middle Ages.
The area of the territory is 25 606 km². The rivers Seine, Marne and Aisne flow through it. The largest city is Reims.
History of the region
Region Name Champagne - Ardennes due to the fact that during its formation, most of the land entered it historical area Champagne, as well as several small plots located in the Meuse Valley, near the Ardennes.
Since ancient times, the Champagne-Ardenne region has been marked by many significant historical events:
- In the Roman era, the city of Reims (at that time Durocortorum) was located at the intersection of the main transport routes and was the most populous city north of Rome,
- In the early Middle Ages on Christmas Day 496 (according to various sources from 496 to 506), the great king of the Franks from the Merovingian dynasty, Clovis I was baptized with the hand of St. Remigius in the early Christian cathedral in Reims. Since then, Reims has become the city where all the kings of France crowned until Charles X,
- In 999, the Archbishop of Reims, Herbert of Aurillac, was elected pope by the name of Sylvester II, he was a friend of the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III,
- At the end of the XII-XIV centuries, the province of Champagne became known for its fairs: in the cities of Lagny-sur-Marne (in the modern region of льle-de-France), Provins, Troyes, and Bar-sur-Ob, located on two major pilgrim routes going to Rome
- On September 20, 1792, the battle of Valmey took place, the first military victory of the young French republic,
- Napoleon’s Six Day War in 1814,
- In 1870, the most famous battle of the Franco-Prussian War took place in the Ardennes, the Battle of Sedan,
- During the First World War, an invasion of enemy troops passed through the Ardennes (the headquarters of the Prussian crown prince was located in the now defunct city of Charleville), and a theater of operations was located on the lands of Champagne during the First Battle of the Marne (1914) and during the Second Battle on the Marne in 1918,
- During the Second World War, the invasion of the Nazi armies passed through the Ardennes and there were fierce battles in 1940 (defeat of the French), in 1944 the Ardennes operation took place on these lands,
- The ceremony of reconciliation between France and Germany took place in the Reims Cathedral, which was attended by French President Charles de Gaulle and German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer, the ceremony was consecrated by Cardinal Francois Marty,
- In 1996, Pope John Paul II paid a visit to Reims in honor of the 1500th anniversary of the baptism of St. Remigius of King Clovis I and his troops.
The site contains Champagne sights - photos, descriptions and travel tips. The list is based on popular guides and is presented by type, name and rating. Here you will find answers to questions: what to see in Champagne, where to go and where are the popular and interesting places of Champagne.
The world-famous Reims Cathedral is one of the oldest in Europe. Its history goes back to 401, when the predecessor of the temple, which we can see now, was built. In the XI century, when the original cathedral was dilapidated, in its place the construction of a new temple began, which lasted less than two hundred years and burned down in 1210. And only at the third stage of monumental construction did that grandiose cathedral appear, which has survived to this day in excellent condition.
The western part of Reims Cathedral is decorated with two towers 80 meters high, which are the highest in France. They could be even higher if, according to the architect's intention, the tents were decorated with spiers, but this idea was not realized. In addition to the high spiers, it was planned to build five more towers, but this also remained only in the project. The unique architecture of Reims Cathedral is a matter of particular pride.
The cathedral is decorated with many sculptural compositions depicting saints, kings, bishops, simple artisans and knights. Sometimes it is called the "Cathedral of Angels", because the number of sculptures depicting the inhabitants of the heavenly kingdom is so great that an association with paradise theme unwittingly arises.
Basilica of St. Remigius
The Basilica of Saint Remigius is a Catholic church in Reims, a former monastery church of the abbey of Saint Remigius, founded in the VI century. The modern basilica building was built in the first half of the 11th century. In the basilica is the tomb of St. Remigius, an object of pilgrimage. The church is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Some argue that the story of Victor Hugo's novel "Notre Dame de Paris" actually happened here. But in order to give romance and tragedy, the author transferred the action to Paris.
What sights of Champagne did you like? Next to the photo area there are icons, by clicking on which you can evaluate this or that place.
Attraction "Big puppeteer"
The attraction "Big puppeteer", located in the small French town of Charleville-Mezieres, is a 10-meter figure of a puppeteer, in which only the head and legs are visible to the audience. This machine, created by master Jacques Monestier, is located on the facade of the International Institute of Puppet Puppets.
Every day, from 10.00 to 21.00, “The Big Puppeteer” shows 12 scenes from the 13th century French epic poem “The Four Sons of Emon”. You can fully see the famous legend every Saturday. The performance starts at 21.15. You can enjoy such an interesting sight, only without sound, if you sit at one of the windows inside the Ardennes Museum, from where the view can be seen clearly. On the street, a small playground and street noise do not allow you to hear all the phrases of the narrator.
In photo mode, you can view the sights in Champagne only by photographs.
The Champagne region is located in the north-east of France. In the north, the region borders on Belgium, in the east - with Lorraine, in the south and south-west - with Ile de France and Picardy. Champagne - a world famous region for the production of champagne wines. It is also famous for its cheeses and a rare delicacy - gray truffles. Champagne is also famous for its attractions.
The Chateau de Montmore is a magnificent castle, which was built in the XV century and rebuilt in the XVI century. Although some historians claim that the castle existed in the XI century. Proof of this, in their opinion, are ramparts and ditches. The lower structure of the castle is characteristic of the early Renaissance. Towers equipped with guns were built on each side. The two lower wings of the castle were destroyed in the 19th century. Instead, a gatehouse with brick towers is built, which also dates from the 19th century. The castle is surrounded by a park. And his ensemble is completed by a 3-arched bridge and a Renaissance-style mansion.
Montmore Castle is a historical landmark in the Champagne region and every year thousands of tourists visit this corner of French land.
Regional Natural Park East Forest
The Eastern Forest Regional Natural Park is located in Amans, in the Champagne-Ardenne region of France. It is a wide park with three lakes located on its territory: East Lake, artificially created to deprive local residents of floods, Lake Amans, famous for the variety of water-motor sports and Lake Temple, intended more for a relaxing holiday. The natural park was created in 1970 and today is among the five best parks in France.
Visiting the East Lake, created in 1966, everyone can compete with each other in rowing sports. Canoeing, windsurfing, diving, catamarans, sailing and even electric boats, there is everything for every taste. Unlike the East Lake, Lake Amans attracts lovers of water-motor sports and offers water skiing and aquabike rides.
For lovers of peace and quiet, birdsong and free flight of the wind Lake Temple is more suitable, giving nature charm with its splash of water. In any case, if you are in the Regional Natural Park called the Eastern Forest, you will find for yourself the entertainment that you will like.
Abbey of St. Remigius
The Abbey of Saint Remigius was founded in the French city of Reims in the 8th century at the burial place of the venerable spiritual patron of the Franks Saint Remigius. The buildings of the abbey that have survived date back to the period of the XVII - XVIII centuries. Nowadays, the Museum of Saint-Remy, representing the history of Reims, objects found during regional archaeological excavations, as well as a collection of objects of military history, has been opened within the walls of the royal abbey.
Pommery is a French champagne wine house located in Reims. At its foundation in 1858, the house received the name Pommery & Greno. The founders were Alexander Louis Pommery and Narcissus Grenoi, the main activity of the trading house at first was the wool trade. After the death of Alexander Louis, the house was taken over by his widow, Louise Pommery, and the company was exclusively engaged in the production of champagne wines and soon the Pommery brand became one of the most famous and largest brands of champagne in the Champagne region
The fort is a historical monument, a place of memory of the First World War. It was built in the years 1880-1883, closing the belt of the Reims fortifications, which was developed by General Sere de Riviere after the war of 1870. This is the only fort that remained in the hands of the Allies during the First World War and provided protection for Reims. The museum contains collections of uniforms, equipment and weapons, horse-drawn carts, mock-ups, mannequins, documents, and everyday life items. Also worthy of attention is a unique collection consisting of 560 headdresses of the imperial army of Germany.
Outlet Mac Arthur Glen
Outlet Mac Arthur Glen is one of the most famous in France and is located about 150 kilometers from Paris, in the small town of Trois.
More than two hundred brands are represented in the shopping center: Burberry, Christian Lacroix, Paloma Picasso, Wolford, Armani, Miss Sixty, Naf Naf, Kerutti, Lancel, Givenchy and others. In addition to designer clothes, shoes and accessories, you can also purchase champagne, chocolate and household goods (VilleroyBoch).
You can dine here in one of the three French restaurants. Please Note: Mac Arthur Glen is closed on Sundays.
Amusement Park "Nigloland"
Amusement park "Nigloland", located in the French town of Dolancourt, 50 kilometers from Troyes, every summer pleases its visitors with new entertainment. The park was founded by two brothers, Patrice and Philippe Jely, who in the past had been organizing performances at fairs in 1987. The name "Nigloland" received from the word "niglo", which in translation from the gypsy language means "hedgehog". Hedgehog is a symbol of the park.
The park, divided into four thematic zones - a Canadian village, a rock and roll village, a fabulous and Swiss village, has many attractions for children and adults. Also at the Nigloland for children are staged performances. In 2005, the park administration opened with him the "Hotel for Pirates", which contains 30 rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a hall for theater performances.
The most popular attractions in Champagne with descriptions and photos for every taste. Choose the best places to visit famous places of Champagne on our website.
Get to Essua:
There is no railway connection with the village.
SNCF - Line Paris Est-Belfort - Stops in Troyes, Vandevre-sur-Bars, Bar-sur-Aub
Arrival / return from SNCF railway station Vendeuvre-sur-Barse / Essoyes:
- Taxi Cintrat
42 rue République 10360 Essoyes 03.25.29.60.40 / 06.84.96.52.43
- Taxi Sébastien
7, route des lacs 10140 Vendeuvre-sur-Barse 06 89 91 24 37
- From Paris and North: A5 motorway, exit 22 Magnant
- From the south: A5 motorway, exit 23 under Ferté
Troyes 1 hour - Dijon 2 hours - Reims 2 hours - Chalon in Champagne 2 hours 30 minutes - Paris 2:45 - Strasbourg 3 hours - Lyon 3 hours 30 minutes - Lille 3 hours 50 minutes - Brussels 4 hours 30 minutes
Driving directions to Essua by car:
The first settlements on the site of Essua, near the Ource river, appeared already in the time of the Celts. The first written evidence of the village dates back to the 9th century. Between Molesme and Clairvaux, she was heavily influenced by Molesme Abbey. Essoia was ruled by the Sommievre family until the French Revolution.
Since the mid-17th century, the papermaking industry has become popular here, so many windmills can be seen along the Ource River. Paper production continued until the end of the 18th century.
March 12, 1763 in Essua, a terrible fire occurred, which destroyed almost all the buildings. At that time, most of the houses were wooden with thatched roofs, so only a few stone houses survived the fire.
House of Renoir
Renoir began to rent a house in Essua in 1885. He bought his first home in Essua in 1896. When the Renoir couple bought a neighboring house, they were able to turn the lower floor into a studio. Renoir designed the central part connecting the two houses, making the new configuration more natural.
A visit to the Espace des Renoir, garden, workshop and Renoir house lasts about 2 hours. A visit to the garden, workshop and Renoir's house lasts approximately 1 hour.
- The gardens, house and workshop of Renoir are open from March 2.
- March, April, November: Monday - Tuesday - day off, Wednesday - Sunday: 10:00 - 12:30 / 13:30 - 17:00
- May - October: daily, except Tuesday, 10:00 - 12:30 / 13:30 - 18:00
|Parcours Renoir ticket|
(Espace + Maison + Atelier + Jardins)
|Ticket Maison, Atelier, Jardins|
|for adults||14 €||12 €**|
|Student from 18 to 26 years old||7 €||7 €|
|Family (2 adults and children up to 18 years old)||25 €||25 €|
|Under 18 years old||is free||is free|
** Only in March 2019.
"Ball at the Moulins de la Galette" (1876). Renoir.
The workshop, where the famous impressionist painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir worked, was built in 1905 in the garden of his family house on rue de l’Extra.
Pierre Auguste Renoir was born in Lima, in the south of France, in 1841. When he was 3 years old, the family moved to Paris, where little Renoir began to attend the church choir, as well as study painting. In 1890, the artist married Alina Sharigo, whom she met ten years earlier, when she was a 21-year-old seamstress. They already had a son, Pierre, born in 1885, and after the wedding they had two more sons - Jean, born in 1894, and Claude (known as “Coco”), born in 1901 and becoming one of the most beloved models father’s. By the time his family finally took shape, Renoir had achieved success and fame. He was recognized as one of the leading artists in France and managed to get the title of Knight of the Legion of Honor from the state.
In 1897, Renoir broke his right hand, falling from a bicycle. As a result, he developed rheumatism, from which he suffered the rest of his life. Because of rheumatism, Renoir found it difficult to live in Paris, and in 1903 the Renoir family moved to the estate called Colette in the small town of Cagnes-sur-Mer.
After an attack of paralysis in 1912, despite two surgical operations, Renoir was confined to a wheelchair, but continued to paint with the brush that the nurse put between his fingers.
At the end of his life, Renoir gained fame and universal recognition. In 1917, when his painting Umbrellas was exhibited at the London National Gallery, hundreds of British artists and painting lovers sent him a congratulation saying:
“From the moment your picture was posted in line with the works of old masters, we were delighted that our contemporary took his rightful place in European painting.”
Renoir's painting was also exhibited in the Louvre, and in August 1919 the artist visited Paris for the last time to take a look at it.
December 3, 1919 Pierre-Auguste Renoir died in Cagnes-sur-Mer from pneumonia at the age of 78 years. The artist was buried in Essua.
Church of Saint-Remy
In the center of Essua was once the ancient church of Saint-Remy, one of the most remarkable Romanesque churches in the department of Ob. The church was demolished in 1855, having built a new temple in its place, consecrated in 1865. The new church is worth a look at the stained glass windows and organ donated by the Hero family. The church organ is classified as a historical monument.
The old castle was bought and expanded by Olympus Hero (brother of Auguste Hero) in the late 19th century. The castle was bought back by the city in 1936. A school was made in the left wing of the building, and a tax service is located in the right wing.