In the capital of Zanzibar, Stone Town is a rather nondescript at first glance three-story building. An ordinary rectangular house with red tiles can hardly attract the attention of tourists in terms of architectural attractions. However, this building is very valuable from a historical point of view - it can literally return us to the era of discoverers and explorers of the once uncharted wild lands of Zanzibar and other parts of the African continent.
This building is also known as Livingston's House - it was from here that the famous explorer of African lands went on his last expedition in life, which ended tragically. The house was built specifically for the Sultan Majid in the vicinity of Stone Town, so that he could stay here to relax, leaving somewhere from the capital. The building was erected for several months in 1860, and it does not constitute any architectural delights.
David Livingston, whose name is well known to us from school history and geography textbooks, was an outstanding traveler from England, who devoted his life to missionary work and the introduction of civilization into wild African lands. In the mid-19th century, he was sent to Africa with a missionary goal - in an attempt to convert the locals to the Anglican faith. But, unfortunately, the great scientist did not have enough oratorical abilities, and instead of missionary work, he decided to study land.
Livingston was most interested in the topic of the search for the sources of the Nile River - this could be an important scientific discovery. To do this, David needed to study a large part of the territories in northern Africa, to conduct research on Lake Tanganyika and the Lualaba River. The expedition was planned carefully and with all the attention to detail. Famous researchers from around the world convened at Livingstone House, which became the starting point. Unfortunately, during the expedition, David Livingston caught malaria, and in 1873 he died in the settlement of Chitambo in Zambia.
David Livingstone's embalmed body was buried after nine months in Britain, but his heart was buried with honors in Chitambo.
After the death of the great traveler, Livingston's House for some time served as a “transit point” for those researchers who continued his work. The building was later used by the Hindu community. And in 1947 it was finally purchased by the Tanzanian government, and several rooms here were reserved for scientific laboratories. Today, the office of the Zanzibar State Tourism Organization is located here, and tours are organized for tourists.
It’s easy to get to Livingstone House - the building is located in the vicinity of Stone Town in the east. Entrance to the building itself is free, and the cost of the tour and the number of people in the group must be clarified in advance. This can be done right on the spot, in the office of the tourism organization.
Address: Zanzibar Island, Stone Town, Malawi rd.
Livingstone’s house david livingstone’s house on zanzibar landmark map (tanzania)
- Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Malawi Rd, Zanzibar Town, Tanzania
- (jerry riley) source ">
Livingston's house is an old, but rather nondescript three-story building in the shape of a rectangle with red tiles and many small windows.
The building is famous exclusively for the fact that it was from here that the famous explorer of Africa David Livingston went on his last expedition in his life. The house was built in 1860, and after the death of Livingston until 1947, the building was used for various purposes by the Hindu community. In the middle of the last century, the government bought the building, and reconstruction was carried out here.
Now here is the office of the Zanzibar State Tourism Corporation, and small excursions are also held for a few tourists.
- Cultural sites
Types of tours
The Anglican Cathedral was built in the 1870s by the University Mission to Central Africa (UMCA) and became the first Anglican Cathedral in East Africa. The church was built on the site of an old slave market. It is said that the main altar stands on the very spot where the tree grew, to which the unfortunate slaves were tied to whipping. The white marble circle surrounded by a red symbolizing the blood of slaves recalls this time in the sanctuary.
The driving force behind the construction of the cathedral was Bishop Edward Stear (1874-1882), and David Livingston became the inspiration, whose call for the help of missionaries in the construction was heard in 1864, when representatives of the UMCA appeared on the island. One of the stained glass windows of the cathedral is dedicated to Livingston. In the cathedral there is a crucifix carved from a tree that grew on the very spot where David Livingstone's heart was buried in the village of Chitambo in Zambia.
It is also worth seeing the monument to the slaves in the square in front of the church. The sculptural composition by Swedish artist Klara Sornas depicts five slaves standing in an earthen pit. Earthen cellars are located under the temple building. When the slave market worked here, dozens of black slaves were stuffed in dozens of these cells. Metal collars are attached to the neck of the figures of the sculptural composition, to which chains were attached.
The cathedral also currently hosts church services on Sunday mornings.SharePinTweetSendSend