In Russia, there are many different architectural monuments, each of which has its own unique history of origin. The mansion of P.P. Forostovsky is one of the representatives of the list of similar buildings that have survived to this day. The house was erected in the period from 1900 to 1901 especially for Pavel Forostovsky, a famous merchant. The building itself has 2 floors, does not differ in outstanding dimensions. It was decided to place the building on 4 lines of Vasilievsky Island in the city of St. Petersburg. In it were not only living rooms, but also the office of the owner himself.
The architect of the mansion was the notorious Karl Schmidt, who was the pioneer of the so-called "brick style", as well as early modernism, popularizing it in Russia.
Forostovsky’s mansion is famous for the fact that it was he who became the first representative of the Art Nouveau style in St. Petersburg. The left part of the building has a high tower, inside which there are 2 spacious floors, when the right part of the room is equipped with only 1 floor with a glazed roof. Inside it was the owner’s winter garden. The middle part of the building is located a little further from the sidewalk. Despite the fact that other buildings are located on the left and on the right side, visually the building really “stands apart”.
The asymmetry of the building is expressed in window openings, special arches, a dome, as well as in the roof of a bay window. Properly selected color scheme markedly distinguishes the building from the rest of the houses on the street. Facing tiles are nothing more than a reminder of the fascination with the brick style from Schmidt. However, it is harmoniously and originally shaded by areas that are faced with granite. Their "ragged" look is created due to the lack of polishing, but at the same time does not affect the violation of calm colors.
However, not everything is as smooth and smooth as it might seem at first glance. The general harmony is slightly disturbed, but at the same time it is decorated with small details that are characteristic of the Art Nouveau style. Thus, the drawings on the fences of the gates and arches have a sufficient number of complex lines that have either a curved or broken shape.
The total cost of construction was the amount of 180,000 rubles, which was a fairly large amount in the old days. All this is due not only to the payment of the work of the architect and builders, but also to the order of imported materials, since Forostovsky knew the transport sector very well, since he himself was engaged in the transportation of materials from Finland to Russia.
What's with the building now?
In Soviet times, there was a children's clinic in this building, and now the office of the Directorate for the Construction of the St. Petersburg Ring Road is based there. With all this, the architectural monument has not lost its former grandeur, remaining the same original and recognizable.
An interesting fact is that Forostovsky's mansion is one of his best creations in his entire career as an architect. Despite the fact that the external structure turned out to be quite restrained, it is still the most “European” in terms of its spirit and atmosphere. Art Nouveau is traced here completely and completely, which is why it is a good example for young architects who are interested in classical styles.
Another feature of the construction is that in its spirit it is somewhat closer to the so-called Art Nouveau style, which was especially popular in Belgium and France. This distinguishes the mansion from many others that stand in glorious Petersburg.
How to book a tour in Russian in any city in the world. Service Overview
The mansion of P.P. Forostovsky
|The mansion of P.P. Forostovsky|
|59 ° 56′28 ″ s w. 30 ° 17′04 ″ c. d. H G I O L|
|Town||St. Petersburg, 4th line V.O., house number 9|
|Project Author||C.K. Schmidt|
|Status||An object of cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation of federal significance. Reg. No. 781620418270006 (EGROKN). Object No. 7810127000 (Wikigid database)|
|Wikimedia Commons Media Files|
The mansion of P.P. Forostovsky Built by architect Karl Schmidt in 1900-1901. for the merchant Pavel Forostovsky. A small two-story building is located on the 4th line of Vasilyevsky Island in St. Petersburg. In it was the owner’s office, as well as living rooms.
Description| edit code
This is one of the first Art Nouveau buildings in St. Petersburg. The asymmetric facade of the building echoes the asymmetry of the plan. The left part of the facade is decorated with a high tower, while the right has only one floor with a glazed roof (there was a winter garden). The middle part of the building is somewhat removed from the sidewalk. These methods allow you to disrupt the familiar plane of the city facade, make you think that the mansion really stands "apart", although other buildings are adjacent to it to the left and right, and the passer-by sees the building only on one side.
The asymmetry of the facade rhymes with the predominance of the curved line in the large rhythms of the building: window openings, spans of arches, the dome and roof of the bay window. However, this line, smooth and calm, at the same time smooths out the restless silhouette of the mansion. The walls of the building are covered with soft, light yellow tiles. The tile reminds of Schmidt’s previous passion for “brick style”. It is shaded by areas lined with "torn", unpolished granite. The calm of rhythm and color, taming the general asymmetry of the building, in turn, is disturbed by the expressiveness of numerous small details. In the drawing of the fence, gate, flag holders, curved, broken lines, characteristic of modernity, are more clearly manifested.
Forostovsky's mansion is one of the best works of Karl Schmidt. Despite external restraint, it is also one of the most “European” Art Nouveau buildings in St. Petersburg, approaching the spirit of French and Belgian Art Nouveau architecture.
In Soviet times, the building was a children's clinic. At the moment, the former mansion is occupied by the Directorate for the Construction of the Ring Road of St. Petersburg.
Photo and description
Mansion P.P. Forostovsky, located at 4 line of Vasilyevsky Island, house number 9 in St. Petersburg, is one of the very first Art Nouveau buildings erected in the city on the Neva.
For almost a hundred years, starting from the first half of the 18th century, a piece of land under the Forostovsky mansion belonged to the well-known family of merchants and priests of the Sharistanovs, who came from Armenia. It was at this place that the members of the Sharistav family were going to build a temple for the Armenian community. However, it so happened that it was built on Nevsky Prospect.
In 1850, a plot of land and a wooden house on it were acquired by the family of the Sharistanovs, Mrs. Yudina, who was the daughter of a privy councilor. The composer M. Mussorgsky often visited her house, with whom the hostess was friendly. Here he performed his works for a narrow circle of friends.
At the end of the 19th century, the estate on Vasilievsky Island was bought by P.P. Forostovsky. He was the owner of a forwarding office that delivered various goods from Finland. In 1900 P.P. Forostovsky received a positive response from the city council for the construction of a new house. The project was commissioned by architect K.K. Schmidt. Schmidt was a sought-after master - he is the author of the project of the Alexandrinsky Women's Shelter, the business center of the Faberge firm on Bolshaya Morskaya.
The owner of the house Pavel Forostovsky not only lived in the newly rebuilt mansion, but also worked there. The basement was built taking into account the fact that there will be a warehouse. On the ground floor were office premises. The second floor was occupied by the Forostovsky family. Children's rooms overlooked the garden. He was assigned the sunniest side. In the right wing of the house was a winter garden, one wall of which was glass. In the left wing was a wing for the servant.
In terms of building - asymmetric. On the left side is a high tower, and on the right is one floor with a glazed roof. The central part of the building is deepened. This visually violates the facade line. It seems that the house is behind other houses, in the distance, despite the fact that it is surrounded by other buildings both on the left and on the right.
The facade is faced with brick, the base is made of red granite stone. In general, the facade of the building is dominated by large elements that complement the visual effect of the asymmetry of the house. But this does not give the mansion a restless or chaotic appearance. The overall impression remains calm, and the building seems to be aristocratically sophisticated dandy, dressed in the latest fashion. The walls of the building are tiled with sand. Her tranquility enlivens the base, lined with torn granite. The variety and picturesqueness of the Forostovsky mansion is given by a mass of small details of the decor in the decoration of the house itself, and the fence - the molding of the gate and the fence itself, flag stands.
Mansion of the merchant P.P. Forostovsky is considered one of the best works of the architect Karl Schmidt. This building successfully conveys both “Russianness” and “the spirit of Europe” and has direct similarities with examples of Belgian and French Art Nouveau.
After the October Revolution, the Forostovsky mansion housed the clubs of the Union of Water and Textile Factories named after Slutskaya and Zhelyabov, the Union of Water Transport Workers. Before and after the war, the building contained the district committees of the Komsomol and the party. Since 1960, a children's hospital was opened here, and from the beginning of the 90s the department of the road patrol service was located.
Nowadays, in the mansion of P.P. Forostovsky is the department for the construction of the Ring Road in St. Petersburg. It is a cultural property protected by the state.