Palazzo tienne (Italian: Palazzo Thiene) - a palace in the city of Vicenza, built in 1550-1551 by the great Italian architect of the late Renaissance Andrea Palladio.
The future founder of palladianism and classicism in this of his early work is quite restrained. Carefully studying the “Ten Books on Architecture” by Vitruvius and developing his idea of a house with an atrium and peristyle, the architect created a new type of city palace - the palazzo. In the early works in Vicenza, the Palazzo Thien (1550–1551) of Iseppo da Porto (1552), the Paladio is still close to the Florentine palazzo of the 15th century, but already in these works they demonstrate a subtle understanding of the architectonics of the order. In 1994, the palace was listed as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site. Now the building of the palazzo contains an art gallery, which presents works from the 15th to the 19th centuries, 300 engravings of the 18th century, the first printed books, there is also a section devoted to ceramics and sculpture.
Construction history| edit code
The original Gothic building was built in 1490 by the architect Lorenzo da Bologna. Its eastern facade was made of brick, and above the portal was a Venetian pink marble window by Tommaso da Lugano. In 1542, the brothers Marcantonio and Adriano Thiene decided to reconstruct the family palace and turn it into a huge residence measuring 54 by 62 meters. According to their idea, the facade of the building was to be facing the main street of Vicenza (now it bears the name Palladio). The likely creator of the original palace design in 1542 was Giulio Romano, but already during construction, in 1544, when Romano died, it was redesigned by Andrea Palladio. The architectural elements of the Palazzo Tienne, which are attributed to Romano and which are clearly alien to the Palladian style, are easily recognizable. The palace features a four-column atrium, which brings to mind the similar atrium of the Palazzo Te, despite the fact that Palladio changed its arches. Romano also owns the windows and facades of the lower floors, facing the street and the courtyard, while Palladio introduced his features in the entablature and capitals of the upper floors.
General view of the courtyard.
A fragment with a view of the entablature and capitals on the second floor, probably Palladio.
Of the many buildings Palladio in Vicenza, the Palazzo Thienne is the “least palladian-style building”, gravitating more to the architecture of Rome and Mantua (probably the Palladio built the Palazzo Thienne under the influence of the works of Giulio Romano from Mantua) and focusing on his project. Construction work was very slow. In 1552, Adriano Thiene died in France, and subsequently, as a result of family interests, moved to Ferrara when Giulio Thiene (son of Marcantonio) became the Marquis of Scandiano. As a result, only a small part of the grandiose Palladio project was implemented.
One of the main attractions is the Olympic Theater, known far beyond Italy. Designed at the end of the Renaissance, harmoniously blending with the mysterious architecture of the city, it attracts thousands of tourists every year. The theater opened in March 1585 and set an example for numerous theaters around the world. It was created by the outstanding architect Andrea Palladio and became his final work.
The villa was designed by Andrea Palladio specifically for Paolo Almerico. It is a World Heritage Site and is protected by UNESCO. Even after 500 years, the Rotunda is still a place of pure beauty and inspiration. Since 1911, it belongs to the family of Count Valmarana, who opened it to the public in 1986. The Rotunda is an ideal venue for cultural events. In spring and summer, concerts are held in the garden. And for true connoisseurs of artistic architecture, a private and exclusive visit to the Villa is possible.
The building is in the center of Signoria Square. It was originally built in the 15th century. This was the first public work of Palladio, which provided him with the benefit and reputation of local authorities. The roof was destroyed during World War II, but has since been rebuilt in its original style. However, the building itself was also the subject of a complex intervention of architectural restoration. Since 1994, the Basilica has been protected as part of the World Heritage Site. In the large hall of the building often held exhibitions designed for civil events.
Roman Catholic Church, the foundation of which was laid in 1261. Aged in the Gothic style, is one of the rare examples of the religious architecture of Palladio. Despite its small size, the building is harmonious and proportionate. Santa Corona Church has a free digital guide, which is very convenient for foreign tourists. Interesting fact: Palladio himself is buried in this church.
One of the oldest structures in Vicenza is the famous Bissara tower. The tower was built in 1174 and reaches a height of as much as 82 meters. Bissara survived the strong earthquakes and World War II, miraculously surviving to this day. The tower is a real miracle of mechanics. There are clocks on the tower that show not only the time of day, but also the lunar phases, which is quite unusual and interesting. For more than two centuries, the tower has been one of the main historical symbols of the city.
The creation of Villa Guicciola begins around 1799. The area of land where the villa is located is 4 hectares. There is a forest on the territory, but most of it is completely clean. In the garden of the Villa there are many exotic plants, as well as paths among the trees. The view of the villa has been slightly changed. In 1935, the building was partially renovated and restored to create a museum.
The most picturesque place in the city can be deservedly called Querini Park. Quiet green corner in the city center. The park occupies 12 hectares and is surrounded on both sides by the Bacillon River. In addition to the beautiful nature of the park, there are historical buildings on the territory. Also for tourists, the fauna of the park is an unusual surprise, because rabbits live there. Yes, ordinary rabbits of all sizes and colors that can be fed and stroked. To visit the park became available only in 1971. Querini Park is a popular holiday destination for residents and tourists.
Collie Berici Hills
Winemaking has flourished on these hills since the Middle Ages. Since the 18th century, all the hills (0.4 km in height, by the way) were planted with vines. Here you can find wine for every taste and color, as the choice is huge. The wine is aged in numerous caves, which are located throughout the territory. Also, for lovers of excellent wine and good food, festivals are organized.
The palace was built on Piazza Matteotti. Andrea Palladio began work on the project in 1550 and at the end of the XVII century the building was completely ready. A feature of the building is a roof decorated with sculptures. It combines the features of a small palace and a public building, and the unusual interior with frescoes on the ceiling gives the building the appearance of an ancient temple. Currently, the Palazzo Chiericati has an art gallery where you can see the work of Palladio himself.
San Michele Bridge
A chic and in its own way unusual bridge on which it is simply nice to walk at dusk, and at any other time. Since the 1623s it has been the most romantic and “secret” meeting place for lovers. Stone bridge with a beautiful picturesque background that will affect the heart of any traveler.
Villa Trissino - located near the center of Vicenza. With spacious rooms and a magnificent interior. Built in the 16th century, the entire building was completed in 1538. The villa is decorated with sculptures and fountains, as well as a magnificent rose garden. Between the two towers, a two-story arcade loggia fits perfectly. The villa was originally made in the Gothic style, but in the 18th century Ottone Calderari changed the structure of the building, thereby getting rid of Gothic for good.
Palazzo Porto in Piazza Castello
15th century building located in Piazza Castello. In 1571, construction work began, but ceased for unknown reasons. The facade of the building is bordered by a garland of oak leaves, creating a belt adorning completely through the entire facade. On the five-century building, two spans appear, instead of seven conceived, three columns also adorn it. As planned by the architect, the building was supposed to be spacious, it is a pity that the project was not implemented. Nevertheless, this building is still admirable.
Cathedral of Santa Maria Annunci
The cathedral, the construction of which was begun in 1482, but for some reasons remained incomplete until 1557. The building was completed in the years 1564–66. During the war, the cathedral was badly damaged, it was later reconstructed, but unfortunately, some interior elements were permanently lost. The unusual architecture of the building catches the eye and helps to plunge into the historical beauty of Santa Maria. The cathedral is currently a popular tourist destination.
Church of San Marco in San Girolamo
Baroque church of the 18th century. It got its current name after the 1800s. The author of the project remained unknown, but some suggest that there were several. The facade design was created by Carlo Corbelli. The interior is rich and diverse. The church is decorated with paintings by famous Italian artists. The building was consecrated only in 1760. Outside, the building has been preserved in its original form.
Belongs to the rich artistic heritage of Venetian villas. A magnificent building founded in the 19th century. A fascinating painted room, a spacious hall, frescoes, exquisite and symmetrical proportions of the facade - this is what you can see here and this, in the complete absence of external decorations. The villa is open to the public all year round for individual visits as well as for cultural and social events. And inside is a small Archaeological Museum with fossil plants and animals.
Magnificent gardens broken in the 16th century. Aged in Italian style. The entrance is decorated with a beautiful and unusual Revese Arch. Small labyrinths, beautiful picturesque views and rich rare flora, what else does a seasoned tourist need for happiness? Strictly organized space and ideal bushes will steal the heart of any person. A green and cozy corner that will not leave anyone indifferent to this day is of interest to many tourists.
Campo Marzo Park
There is a park near the train station. First mentioned in the 12th century, under the name Campus Martius. Initially, the view of the park was a meadow, but by 1816 plane trees were planted here. In addition to plane trees, the park has small groves. Located close to the train and bus station. Beautiful, summer park with live music and a bar. Also, the park has attractions.
It was built in the 16th century for the Thiene brothers. The villa combines several architectural styles at once, which makes it special and unique. However, the appearance is devoid of harmony due to the huge window, which consists of three parts. The plans of the architect of the villa, the famous Palladio, were to build two courtyards, but the plan was not implemented. At the moment, the city administration is located in the building. Quite often, various events and exhibitions are held here.
City Picture Gallery
Built according to the original sketches of Andrea Palladio in 1550. In the 19th century, the gallery was expanded thanks to the attached building. For public visits, the building was opened only in 1855. In the collections of the gallery are many creations of various famous masters. For tourists and residents, the doors are open daily except Monday.
Palazzo Barbara da Porto
The "Pearl" of the city, designed in 1569. The construction was completed in 1575, while the architect was still alive. On the building (except for the columns) there is no smooth surface, almost every centimeter is decorated. For visits, the building opened its doors relatively recently - in 1998. Now it houses the Palladio Museum. The museum has a website where you can see when exhibitions are held. Also in the residence at the moment is a research institute with an archive and a library.
Villa Gazzotti Grimani
Renaissance villa. Built in the forties of the 16th century, it is an early work of A. Palladio. The villa has a double name due to the fact that it belonged to the bankrupt Gazzoti, who later sold the villa to a member of the rich and influential Venetian family Grimani. To date, the villa is in need of repair, since it is necessary to restore the dilapidated stucco molding.
Designed in the 16th century. The residence was built by A. Palladio at the request of B. Schio. The building has a narrow facade, which was divided into three arches with the help of four pilasters. Between the columns are three windows and a balcony overhanging them. Few people know that on the second floor there were also three windows that illuminated the utility rooms, but these windows were walled up about two centuries ago. The quiet splendor of the facade is fascinating: unusual visibility is created with the help of decorations and balconies.
Risorgimento Museum and Resistance Movement
Located on Ambellicopoli Hill. The place of heroic resistance of 1848. The museum reflects the mentality, traditions and values of the city. Extremely interesting and diverse things of those times have been preserved here. Everything from coins to 19th century printed materials. The museum deserves the respect not only of local residents, but also of many tourists, because it sheds light on the situation of the people in those days and shows the moral and fighting spirit of the Italian inhabitants.
The villa is attributed to the 1540s. The finished building differs from the plan published by the architect, the reason for this decision is unknown. Spacious and at the same time elegant creation. The elements of the ancient Roman temple are so magnificent that it seems as if they were inspired by ethnic motifs. In 1994, the villa was restored, but retained its warmth and comfort. The villa is one of the most successful of Palladio's creations from the 1540s.
Palladio designed the villa by the end of the 1540s, and construction work was completed by 1563, when the interior was completed by the artists Bernardino India and Anselmo Caner, as well as the sculptor Bartolomeo Ridolfi. It seems that Palladio tried to imitate the utilitarian logic of architecture - the villa is quite restrained and concise. For the public, entrance to the villa is mostly limited, you can get there by appointment, or on certain days.
Villa Forni Cherato
A relatively small 16th century villa. The design is attributed to Andrea Palladio, although the style of the building slightly deviates from the norms of the architect. The villa was built in the 1540s, changing the existing building on this site. Over its entire existence, the building’s body has not undergone significant changes. At the moment, the condition of the building leaves much to be desired. In 1996, UNESCO included the building in the World Heritage Site.
Sanctuary of the Madonna di Monte Berico
The church looks like a cross inscribed in a square at the top of which there are four small rooms.The origins of the Sanctuary of Monte Berico are associated with two visions of the Madonna: a woman carrying food to her husband who worked on the hill: the first of March 7, 1426, the second of August 1, 1428, the Madonna promised the end of the plague and demanded that a church be erected in this place. Thus, in 1428, a few months later, they arose: the first Late Gothic church and a small monastery in the house of a religious community dedicated to the reception of pilgrims. After a short period, when the church was ruled by the monks of St. Bridget, the complex was entrusted to the Servant of Mary (1435), still the guardians of the shrine. Of particular religious value is the “Statue of Our Lady”, a stone sculpture placed above the main altar, a place consecrated by the feet of the Madonna.
Villa Valmarana “ai Nani” (“Villa at the Dwarfs”)
It consists of three buildings located in a large historical park with rose bushes and an Italian garden. The villa takes its name from the statues of 17 stone dwarfs, once scattered in the garden, currently located on the border of the wall around the property. A visit to the villa is an entire journey into the eighteenth century, where you can admire, in addition to frescoes, a magnificent open space.
Vicenza has a very ancient history. But, in spite of everything, most of the buildings with unique architecture have survived to this day and are in excellent condition. Without Vicenza, the history of Italy itself will be incomplete, so the sights of Italy are in many ways the sights of this particular place.
In 1560 Palladio designed for Bernardo Schio the facade of his house in Vicenza, in the neighborhood of the Ponte Pusterla. Since Palladio was occupied in these years with a series of Venetian projects which required his almost permanent presence in the capital of the Venetian Republic, his supervision of the building works on the Palazzo Schio became so distracted that the master-mason charged with its execution interrupted works for want of any clear instructions.
After Bernardo's death his widow showed no interest in concluding the works, which were only completed by Bernardo's brother Fabrizio, in 1574-1575, after the stones and other construction materials had long lain piled up in the villa's courtyard.
After the Schio house, the building was acquired by other noble houses of Vicenza: Vaccari, then Lioy, and later Angaran. The palace was restored - with some alterations - by the noble Carlo Angaran in 1825, as reported in the Latin inscription under the upper cornice:
CAROLVS ANGARAN P.atricius V.icentinus REST.auravit MDCCCXXV
The representative facade of the building along the street is relatively narrow. For the piano nobile, Palladio opts for its division into three arches of equal width, divided by four half-columns with Corinthian capitals, free at three-quarters of the wall height and whose base is integrated with the hanging of the socket.
The spaces between the columns are occupied by three windows with an overhanging balcony, each surmounted by a triangular pediment in strong projection. Intended to illuminate the barn, three windows cut into the frame architrave, and closed in 1825, occupied the upper end. The facade is also animated by a play of light and shadow, through articulation in several layers of depth obtained by the use of columns, molding and balcony windows and gables. The socket base is coated with a rustication. The architect breaks the relative monotony of the bosses texture with the arch of the entrance lobby, and especially with the trapezoidal grounds that surround the two side openings below.
Floor plan of the palace (drawing by Ottavio Bertotti Scamozzi, 1776)
Photo and description
The Palazzo Schio is an aristocratic palace of the 16th century in Vicenza, on the facade of which Andrea Palladio worked in the year 1560. The great architect set about designing the facade at the request of Bernardo Schio, who decided to build a family residence in the Ponte Pusterla area. But since in the same years Palladio worked on a series of projects in Venice that required his personal presence in the capital of the Venetian Republic, his participation in the construction work of the Palazzo Schio became so insignificant that the bricklayers hired by him had to suspend construction until further clear instructions. After the death of Bernardo Schio, his widow was not interested in completing work on the Palazzo, and it was completed only on the initiative of Bernardo’s brother, Fabrizio, in the years 1574-75.
The building facade facing the street is relatively narrow. Palladio decided to divide his “drunken nobile” into three arches of the same width with the help of four half-columns with Corinthian capitals. The space between the columns is occupied by three windows with an overhanging balcony, each of which is crowned by a strongly protruding triangular pediment. The upper floor was once occupied by three other windows that were supposed to illuminate the storage rooms and which were walled up in 1825.
The facade of the Palazzo Schio also enlivens the play of light and shadow, created by using several layers of depth in the arrangement of columns, moldings and balconies of windows, as well as a pediment.