Sights of Vladimir - what to see and where to go in the city and the surrounding area. Description, photos, how to get, addresses, GPS-coordinates, tags on the map.
The city of Vladimir occupies a crucial place in the history of Russia: in fact, it was here that Russia was born as a strong and independent state, and, although we are used to believing ourselves to be the heirs of ancient Kievan Rus, this is most likely the case - we are connected with Kievan Rus to a greater extent degrees of “spiritual” kinship, but Russia as a state in its modern form originated precisely on the Vladimir-Suzdal lands, taking over at the same time a lot of the Mongolian way — which was necessary in order to finally get rid of the power of the khans.
Traditionally, the city’s founding date is 1108: the time of the reign of Grand Duke Vladimir Monomakh, although there are historians who believe that the city arose earlier, under the baptizer of Rus Vladimir Red Sun. However, the city of Vladimir became really significant under Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky (nicknamed so not for pure piety, but because his residence was in the village of Bogolyubovo near Vladimir). Prince Andrei, being half a Polovtsian, proved himself to be a wise politician - he did not go to the lands of neighbors and the “Kiev table”, which took time and resources from his predecessors, but began to equip and strengthen his Vladimir-Suzdal principality.
For two centuries, Vladimir was the main city of the vast Vladimir-Suzdal principality - a principality that could survive after the Mongol invasion, preserve vitality (unlike Kiev and other major ancient Russian cities of the pre-Mongol period), adopt much of the same Mongols that made them invincible - and create a centralized Russian state, which subsequently spread to almost the entire territory previously owned by the Golden Horde. It was on the territory of the Vladimir-Suzdal principality that Moscow arose and became the first capital of the future empire, stretching from Poland in the west to Kamchatka in the east and from the White Sea in the north to Persia in the south.
1. Cathedral Square
Cathedral Square is the historical center of Vladimir. It was named after the Assumption and Dmitrievsky Cathedrals located in the immediate vicinity (from 1917 to 1991 it was called Freedom Square).
There are several monuments on the square: a monument to Lenin, a sculptural group in honor of the 850th anniversary of the city and a monument to Andrei Rublev. Along the edges of the Cathedral Square adjoining the building of the former Noble Assembly, the former City Council and Lipki Park.
GPS coordinates: 56.129, 40.40771.
2. Monument to Andrei Rublev
The monument to the genius icon painter of the 15th century, the author of many famous icons and murals, was erected on Vladimir’s Cathedral Square in 1995, in honor of the city’s 1000th anniversary. Sculptor O.K. Komov portrayed the master in the process of working on one of his masterpieces.
Address: Vladimir, Cathedral Square. Coordinates: 56.1284, 40.4071.
3. Holy Assumption Cathedral
The Assumption Cathedral is, without exaggeration, a symbol of Vladimir and its main attraction. For two centuries, this world-famous monument of ancient Russian architecture was the main Orthodox church in Russia: here the princes (including Moscow) were crowned with the great Vladimir reign, here was stored the richest library of books and manuscripts in Russia. Since the strengthening of Vladimir as the main city of northeastern Russia, the greatest Orthodox shrines have been stored in it, which were then taken by the new Russian capitals - Moscow and St. Petersburg. The main one, the icon of the Mother of God “Vladimirskaya” was stored for a long time in the Assumption Cathedral, which was built specifically for her. During enemy invasions, the icon was carried to the procession several times to Moscow - and always thereafter a turning point in the war. To secure their capital forever, the Russian sovereigns decided not to return the shrine to Vladimir, but to place it in the Assumption Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin.
Address: Vladimir, 56 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Str. Coordinates: 56.1273, 40.40903.
Tours in Vladimir from local residents
For the most curious and sociable travelers, I recommend ordering non-trivial tours of Vladimir from local residents. Your guides will be the Vladimirs themselves: writers, artists, photographers, journalists - in love with their city and know almost everything about it.
At the booking stage, you need to pay online only 20% of the cost of the tour - the rest is given to the guide before it starts.
4. Monument to the baptists of Vladimir land
The monument depicting Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir the Red Sun and Saint Fedor was erected on the high bank of the Klyazma River in 2007, in honor of the 850th anniversary of the transfer of the capital of Russia from Kiev to Vladimir. The monument is located in a very picturesque place, on the edge of the park named after A.S. Pushkin, and from it there are wonderful views of Klyazma, the bridge across it and the opposite bank.
Address: Vladimir, Pushkin Park. Coordinates: 56.12583, 40.40796.
5. Cultural and educational center “Chambers”
This is the most impressive museum of Vladimir. In one building there are several exhibits dedicated to the history of Vladimir land and, in a broader sense, Russia: “Russian House”, “Old Russian School”, “The Birth of a Book” and others. “Chambers” are located in the building of the former provincial Government offices, which is a monument of Vladimir architecture of the XVIII century.
Address: Vladimir, 58 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Str. Coordinates: 56.12848, 40.41023.
6. Dmitrievsky Cathedral
St. Demetrius Cathedral of Vladimir is one of the greatest monuments of Russian temple architecture of the pre-Mongol period and a defendant in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Historians and art historians still do not understand the significance of the ornaments and figures depicted on the walls of the cathedral, most are inclined to the identity of the construction customer himself, Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest (when baptized by the named Dmitry in honor of St. Dmitry Solunsky, this explains the name of the cathedral).
The theme of divine authority is dominant in the decoration of the external walls of the cathedral: Saint David the Psalmist anticipates the image of Christ, and all earthly creatures - plants and animals - listen to David at the foot of the throne. In addition to these, there are ancient Greek plots in the design of Dmitrievsky Cathedral, such as “the exploits of Heracles” and “the flight of Alexander the Great” - but this, most likely, is explained by the fact that the future prince Vsevolod spent a fair amount of his life in Byzantium, in his mother’s homeland being expelled from Vladimir by his half-brother Andrei Bogolyubsky. On the northern facade of the temple, Vsevolod himself is supposedly depicted, holding his son in his lap.
Address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya St., 60. Coordinates: 56.12925, 40.41094.
7. Lipki Park and Pushkin Boulevard
These two parks are located in the very center of Vladimir and form a single green zone. Pushkin Boulevard got its current name in 1899 in honor of the anniversary of the great Russian poet. It contains several interesting sculptures - but, strangely, there are no sculptures of Pushkin himself among them. The main sculptural group is a monument to the baptists of Vladimir land, installed on the edge of the boulevard, on the high bank of Klyazma.
Vladimir, Pushkin Boulevard
Lipki Park is the oldest square in the city - in its center there is a fountain, from which walking alleys diverge.
The coordinates of the Lipki park: 56.12903, 40.4093.
The coordinates of the Pushkin Boulevard: 56.12724, 40.40773.
8. The noble assembly
This building, built by the merchant Petrovsky, was bought in 1810 by the Noble Assembly of Vladimir. Fifteen years later, it was rebuilt in the style of the Russian Empire, and another 10 years later it opened the first public library in the city - which stopped working after two decades due to insufficient funding. Over the years, A.G. Rubinstein and V.V. Mayakovsky, and during the Great Patriotic War, an evacuation hospital was located in it.
Address: Vladimir, 33 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Str. Coordinates: 56.12939, 40.40736.
9. House of Friendship
This red-brick building was built in 1907 according to the project of Y. Revyakin - in his work the architect was clearly inspired by ancient Russian architectural motifs. Before the revolution, it housed the Vladimir City Duma, then the Council of People's Deputies. From 1948 to 1985, the building was occupied by the Palace of Pioneers. In the zero years of our century, the restoration began, which ended in 2008 - now it is the House of Friendship, offering its guests hotel rooms, a restaurant, a concert hall and a meeting room.
Address: Vladimir, 54 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Str. Coordinates: 56.12852, 40.40643.
10. History Museum
The Vladimir Historical Museum, which is part of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum of the reserve, is located in a building built by architect Begen in the early XX century in a pseudo-Russian style. The exposition tells the history of the Vladimir region from ancient times to the beginning of the 20th century - here you can learn about the parking of the ancient people of Sungir, the assault of Vladimir by the Tatar-Mongols, and much more.
Address: Vladimir, 64 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Str. Coordinates: 56.13037, 40.41084.
11. Monument to Alexander Nevsky
The prince, on whose lot many hard trials have fallen, stands, lowering his shield and plunged into a heavy thought. As you know, Alexander Nevsky lived a little more than 40 years, and all the time of his reign he tried to save Northeast Russia from destruction: from the east the Mongols threatened, from the west European knights. The prince considered the Mongols a lesser evil and, with their help, successfully repelled the invasion of the knights. But the grandeur of the sacrifice of Prince Alexander is visible only from the height of the past centuries, in the eyes of contemporaries, the Grand Duke was almost a “Tatar henchman”: for example, when the inhabitants of Vladimir killed the Khan’s Baskaks, who came for a tribute and behaved especially arrogantly, the prince caught and revealingly executed the "patriots", thereby earning extreme dislike of his subjects, but saving the city from total destruction - according to the Mongolian yass (the code of laws established by Genghis Khan himself) for the murder of ambassadors and Baskaks, the rebellious city should It was destined to be destroyed to the ground, and all its inhabitants were either killed or enslaved.
Address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya St. Coordinates: 56.13054, 40.41162.
12. Theotokos-Nativity Monastery
This monastery was founded in 1191 by Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest and before the advent of the Trinity-Sergius Lavra, it was the religious center of the entire Vladimir-Suzdal land.
For a long time, it was in the Mother of God-Nativity Monastery that one of the main shrines of Vladimir, the relics of St. Alexander Nevsky, rested, until by order of Peter I they were transferred to the Alexander Nevsky Lavra of St. Petersburg, founded by the emperor.
Address: Vladimir, 68 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Str. Coordinates: 56.1314, 40.41391.
13. The house-museum of the Stoletov brothers
The exposition, located in a one-story wooden house, tells about the life and work of the famous natives of Vladimir: the world-famous physicist A.G. Stoletov and general from infantry N.G. Stoletov - the leader of the Bulgarian militia in the war of liberation against the Turks in 1877 - 1878, the national hero of Bulgaria.
Address: Vladimir, Stoletovyh Street 3. Coordinates: 56.13237, 40.41382.
14. Gingerbread Museum and Chocolate Workshop
The exposition of the museum is dedicated to the traditional Russian gingerbread - here they are presented of all types, shapes and sizes. There are printed, cut, stucco, custom, curly and personalized gingerbread cookies, gingerbread cookies both simple and with the most diverse (sometimes very unexpected) fillings. Optionally, a tour of the museum can be completed with a traditional Russian tea party with a tasting of museum exhibits.
You can take part in a master class on painting gingerbread, and make a chocolate bar in the chocolate workshop adjacent to the museum. In the same building there is a wonderful gift shop where you can buy the aforementioned edible souvenirs as a gift to friends and family.
Address: Vladimir, 40 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Str. Coordinates: 56.1282, 40.40413.
15. Spoon Museum and Puppet Museum
These two private exhibits are located in the same building in the center of Vladimir. The Museum of the Spoon is dedicated to the history of this object necessary for everyday life: here you can get acquainted with the history of the spoon, its varieties, manufacturing techniques, listen to proverbs and sayings related to the spoon, as well as signs and beliefs. The collection has spoons made for royal monks, church tableware, “spoons” of ancient people and much more.
The collection of the puppet museum is represented by more than 500 works of the private workshop “Plyushkina and Doch” by Marina and Vasilisa Chirkov: author's collection dolls, Waldorf dolls, Teddy bears and much more.
Address: Vladimir, Oktyabrskaya St., 4. Coordinates: 56.12744, 40.40314.
16. Observation Decks on Georgievskaya Street
Georgievskaya street is a nice pedestrian promenade in the very center of the city, a sort of "Vladimir Arbat". Two viewing platforms were equipped for many city guests on Georgievskaya: one is located near the former Water Tower (coordinates 56.125293, 40.399812), and the second is closer to Cathedral Square (coordinates 56.126477, 40.402682) - from both viewpoints a wonderful view of the Assumption Cathedral and the river flowing below Klyazmu.
17. Shopping arcade
Initially, the Vladimir shopping arcade was a closed quadrangle with a large open area in the center. The outer part of the rows was built in the form of covered arcade galleries, where merchant shops were located. Unfortunately, only the southern line has survived to this day - and in a strongly rebuilt form. In 2006, the shopping and entertainment complex "Trading Rows" with an area of 30 thousand square meters, with a glass roof and underground parking was opened in it.
Address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya St., 19a. Coordinates: 56.12859, 40.40284.
18. Vladimir Regional Puppet Theater
The Vladimir Regional Puppet Theater was founded in 1969 and over 50 performances have been staged over its 50 years. In addition to fairy tales and folklore that are common for puppet theater, the theater’s staff has successfully set up things that aren’t the most traditional for the “puppet” format, for example, Matrenin Dvor from the famous story of Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
Address: Vladimir, st. Gagarina, 7. Coordinates: 56.13005, 40.40361.
19. Electrical Theater "Empire"
The first electrical theater (as the cinemas were called in the 19th century) in Vladimir was also located in this house and bore the name “Furor”. In 1913, the building was bought by the businessman Fridlyander and, after a thorough reconstruction, opened the Ampir electric theater in it. According to contemporaries, the Art Nouveau building was one of the most stylish and beautiful not only in the city, but throughout the Vladimir province.
Address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya St., 13. Coordinates: 56.12785, 40.40011.
20. The Golden Gate
The rarest monument of ancient Russian fortification architecture and visible evidence of how Vladimir inherited Kiev: since the Golden Gate was in the capital city of Kiev, they also made them in Vladimir, and the Lybed River flowed there, which flows into the Dnieper - they also named Lybedya one of the local rivers. In turn, the Kiev Golden Gate was created in the image of Constantinople, and those of Jerusalem. Of all the Golden Gate mentioned, only Vladimir has survived to this day.
Address: Vladimir, 1a Bolshaya Moskovskaya. Coordinates: 56.12687, 40.39729.
21. Real school
The building of the Real School is one of the most interesting architectural monuments of Vladimir.It was built in 1908 in the Art Nouveau style, so popular at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries - in the territory of the former Russian Empire, especially many such buildings were built in Tbilisi and Riga. The facade of the Real School is decorated with sculptural portraits of D.I. Mendeleev and A.G. Stoletov is a world-famous Russian physicist and a native of Vladimir.
Address: Vladimir, st. Nikitskaya, 1. Coordinates: 56.12739, 40.39697.
22. Trinity Church
The Old Believer Trinity Church was built in 1913-1916 to the centenary of the Romanov dynasty at the expense of Vladimir merchants, Old Believers. Since the city has another Trinity Church (on Museum Street), the townspeople call this brick church Red. Trinity Red Church is known for its unique acoustics - thanks to which it often hosts performances by choral groups.
In the 1930s, they planned to demolish the church and thus expand the area in front of the Golden Gate, but thanks to the efforts of the Vladimir public (and, among others, the writer V.A. Soloukhin), the church was preserved. In 1974, in the premises of the former Trinity Church, one of the most interesting museums of Vladimir - “Crystal. Lacquer miniature. Embroidery ”, dedicated to the traditional and most famous crafts of the Vladimir region.
Address: Vladimir, st. Noble, 2. Coordinates: 56.12639, 40.39614.
23. Vladimir Academic Drama Theater
Vladimir Drama Theater has more than 170 years of rich history. It would be founded thanks to the efforts of the local actor Ivan Lavrov, who managed to convince the Vladimir mayor that drama theater is necessary for any decent city. Since then, the theater has repeatedly moved - its modern building was erected in the 1970s. Today, the theater is famous for its annual theater festival "At the Golden Gate".
Address: Vladimir, st. Noble, 4. Coordinates: 56.1256, 40.39588.
24. Water tower and the exposition "Old Vladimir"
The exposition "Old Vladimir" is located in the building of the former water tower - a monument of provincial industrial architecture, designed by engineer S.M. Zharova in a pseudo-Gothic style.
The tower was used for its intended purpose until the middle of the 20th century, until the city water supply was thoroughly modernized and the need to use the tower disappeared. The exposition “Old Vladimir” shows the life of the city at the turn of the XIX-XX centuries - you can see the interiors of the room of a wealthy city dweller, a tavern with a traditional samovar, a police station, a church shop. As explanatory texts for many exhibits are clippings from newspapers of that era.
On the top floor of the former water tower there is a wonderful observation platform, from where almost all the main attractions of Vladimir are perfectly visible.
Address: Vladimir, Kozlov Val, 14. Coordinates: 56.12504, 40.39867.
25. Church of the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary
This Catholic church was built in 1891 at the expense of the Poles exiled by the tsarist government to the internal Russian provinces after the suppression of another anti-Russian uprising. In the 1930s, the temple was closed, and its abbot was first exiled to Solovki and then shot. Today, the church is again operational - this is the first church of the Roman Catholic Church, which opened in Russia in the post-Soviet period. The word "rose garden" means "Catholic prayer book", and the name of the temple comes from the feast of St. Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, celebrated by Catholics on October 7.
Address: Vladimir, st. Gogol, 12. Coordinates: 56.12492, 40.3949.
26. Assumption Princess Monastery
This female monastery arose around the family tomb of the princesses of the Vladimir princely house. The wife of Vsevolod III Maria, her sister Elena, daughter of Prince Elena, Princess Alexander and Princess Evdokia (wife and daughter of Alexander Nevsky) and other representatives of the princely house are buried here.
The center of the monastery is the white-stone Assumption Cathedral, painted in the 17th century by Moscow masters and noteworthy with frescoes depicting the Vladimir-Suzdal princes Vsevolod Yuryevich, Andrei Bogolyubsky and others.
Address: Vladimir, st. Vorovsky, 37a. Coordinates: 56.13167, 40.39904.
27. Museum of nature
This exposition is part of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve, and is located on the ground floor of an ordinary 6-storey residential building. At the time of its discovery in 1991, it was called “In the world of animals”, and in 1997 it was renamed “Native Nature”. The purpose of creating the exposition is environmental education, as well as the development of a reasonable and careful attitude to wildlife. Among the exhibits there are stuffed moose, bear, wild boar, wolf, lynx, forests, meadows and fields with their most characteristic inhabitants were recreated.
Address: Vladimir, st. Mira, 19. Coordinates: 56.13788, 40.39744.
28. Central Park and Ferris Wheel "Sky 33"
Vladimir Central Park is located just north of the historical part of the city and is notable for its largest attraction: the 50-meter Ferris wheel “Sky 33”, one of the ten largest in Russia. It offers 32 closed 6-seater cabins, a full turn takes about 15 minutes, and a beautiful panorama of Vladimir opens from the top of the wheel (in clear weather you can see 70% of the city). By the way, you can enjoy the panorama with the naked eye or with binoculars - you can rent it at the box office.
Address: TsPKiO Vladimir, Mira street, 36. Coordinates: 56.14211, 40.4159.
29. Church of the Intercession on the Nerl
Church of the Intercession on the Nerl - One of the most beautiful and interesting Russian Orthodox churches. This is the last and, by all accounts, the best religious building of the Vladimir-Suzdal principality of the time of Andrei Bogolyubsky. Prince Andrei ordered the construction of a church at the confluence of the Nerl and Klyazma rivers in honor of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos and in memory of his eldest son Izyaslav, who died of his wounds after going to the Volga Bulgaria.
Later, a nunnery was located in the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl, and after 1764, a monastery of the Bogolyubsky nunnery. In this capacity, the church was almost destroyed when the abbot of the monastery decided to take it apart and use the stone to build a new bell tower - which, fortunately, did not happen. Nowadays, the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl is assigned to the Bogolyubsky monastery, but, being included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, it is both a museum and a functioning church.
Address: Vladimir region, the village of Bogolyubovo. Coordinates: 56.19631, 40.56128.
30. Holy Bogolyubsky monastery
The female Holy Bogolyubsky Monastery of the Nativity of the Virgin is located in the village of Bogolyubovo, 14 km from Vladimir and 2 km from the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl, so these two sights of Vladimir are convenient to see together. The monastery occupies the territory of the palace of Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky - the only civilian structure of pre-Mongol Rus that has survived to this day (albeit not entirely and not completely in its original form).
In my opinion, Bogolyubovo can be especially interesting to everyone who is fond of Russian history: after all, it was in this village that the first Russian autocrat lived - Andrei Bogolyubsky, a man of outstanding talent, a great military gift and state mind, the first Russian prince who went against the centuries-established order of succession and noble freemen. The very order that led the country to the deepest fragmentation and weakness in the face of the Mongol invasion. And it was from Andrei that this practice began to change to the form of autocracy that helped the country survive during the times of foreign domination and gain enough strength to get rid of this domination as a result.
Address: Vladimir region, the village of Bogolyubovo. Coordinates: 56.19592, 40.53523.
Among the museums of Vladimir, one can also mention the exposition in the famous Vladimir Central Prison, known by the song of the same name by Mikhail Krug, even to those who are extremely far from Russian chanson and thieves in general romance (in the 90s of the last century, this song sounded literally from every iron) . As of fall 2019, the Vladimir Central Museum is not working (and I don’t want anyone to get there as a museum visitor), so this place does not appear in the main list of Vladimir's attractions. But, if suddenly someone really needs, then here is his address and coordinates: Vladimir, Bolshaya Nizhny Novgorod St., 67. GPS: 56.1411, 40.43429.
Where to stay in Vladimir
The capital of the Russian Golden Ring has absolutely no shortage of hotels and guesthouses for every taste and budget. Moreover, every year the choice becomes richer and more diverse. The format and theme of this article do not allow me to list all the worthy places, so I will limit myself to only a few of the most successful in terms of price and quality:
Hotel "At the Golden Gate" - Review rating 9.2 (“Excellent”), price from 3300 rubles for a double room. Very good location - just a three-minute walk from the ancient Golden Gate and Trinity Church. Spacious rooms (from 25 sq.m.), private bathroom, air conditioning, heating, TV with cable channels.
Hotel "GK Panorama" - rating 9.1 (“Excellent”), price from 3200 rubles for a double room. Location - in the very center of Vladimir, to the Assumption Cathedral 200 meters. Near Pushkin Boulevard and Georgievskaya Street with its viewing platforms. Stylish, cozy rooms with a private bathroom, a restaurant and a bar.
Hotel Monomakh - rating 9.0 ("Excellent"), price from 3700 rubles for a double room. Great location - in a quiet location near the Church of the Holy Rosary and the Golden Gate, within walking distance to all the main attractions of the city. Fully equipped and equipped rooms (there is even a sewing kit!), A very decent restaurant.
Rus-Hotel - rating 8.9 (“Fabulous”), price from 3150 rubles for a double room. A modern hotel in the historical center of the city, near the Assumption Princess Monastery and the Puppet Theater. The hotel opened relatively recently, so all the furniture and plumbing are new.
Hotel Vladimir *** - rating 8.7 (“Fabulous”), price from 3,700 rubles for a double room. 10 minutes walk to the city center, as well as to the train and bus stations. Modern, stylish rooms, private bathroom, breakfast - a good buffet.
What to see
The gate shape is interesting: it is a semicircular deep arch with massive fortifications and towers on both sides. The building is made of traditional white stone, bonded with lime, and the arch is made of porous tuff. Over the centuries-old history, the walls have been deepened to the ground by 1.5 m. From the Middle Ages, the stone base of the gate, cast-iron hinges for hinging doors and a groove for the bolt have been preserved, and brick add-ons were made later.
In the upper part of the gate, which once housed the Church of the Robe Deposition, the Museum of Arms operates. The exposition presents samples of the military shells of our ancestors - arrowheads and spears of the times of the Vladimir principality, trophy weapons of the 17-19th centuries, rifles and muskets of the era of Catherine II and Napoleon.
A 15-minute video about the raid on the city in 1238 by troops of Batu Khan is played in a diorama located inside the Golden Gate. It is believed that the legendary gilded copper plates from the wings were removed and hidden before this assault.
The fighting post to repel the enemy’s attacks was located above the arch, from here the ancient archers “poured” storming arrows from spears and rain.
Address: Vladimir, st. Bolshaya Moskovskaya, 1a. Web site.
Opening hours are from 10:00 to 18:00, ticket offices are open until 17:30. Weekends - Wednesday and last Friday of the month.
Ticket price: 150 RUB, for students and senior citizens - 75 RUB, children under 16 years pass free of charge. Prices on the page are for October 2018.
Photo and description
The Golden Gate in the center of Vladimir - the main entrance to the princely part of the ancient city - was built in the middle of the XII century. They are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List and are one of the main attractions of the city.
Active construction in Vladimir had to reign Andrei Bogolyubsky. Andrei Bogolyubsky, even after capturing Kiev, preferred to have a capital in the north. And not in the rich Suzdal, which had its own traditions - no, the prince chose little Vladimir to build the capital here again. It was near Vladimir in the village of Bogolyubovo that he created a residence for himself, but construction began in the city itself. The craftsmen who built Bogolyubovo, the Assumption Cathedral in Vladimir and the front door of the Golden Gate belonged to different nations. According to one of the lost chronicles, several masters were sent to Prince Andrew by the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire Friedrich Barbarossa. Indeed, in all their works, traditions of not only Russian, but also Western European architecture are traced.
In the middle of the XII century, Vladimir was surrounded by shafts with wooden walls and a moat. Seven entrances led to the city. The Golden Gate, built in 1164, became the princely front door to the new capital. They really were “golden”: their wings were covered with polished and gilded copper and shone brightly in the sun. The gates were not only beautiful, but also truly functional and were an excellent defensive structure. The wings themselves were made of heavy oak, a bridge led to the gates through the moat, and a battle platform was built above them, from which it was possible to go to the ramparts. Above is another platform, with a toothed pommel and loopholes. On this upper platform, a small church of the Position of the Robe of Our Lady was arranged and consecrated. The gate arch itself, with a height of 14 meters and the platform above it, have survived to our days with virtually no changes, the rest was rebuilt.
By the middle of the 15th century the gates were dilapidated. They were restored by a famous architect, merchant Vasily Ermolin. It was he who in those years was engaged in the reconstruction of the white-stone Moscow Kremlin, the renovation of the cathedrals of the Trinity-Sergius Lavra, as well as the reconstruction of the famous St. George's Cathedral in Yuryev-Polsky.
Golden Gate in the XVIII-XX century
In the middle of the XVIII century, under Catherine II, the provincial cities began to be rebuilt: the dilapidated wooden and stone Kremlin were dismantled, regular urban development plans were adopted, and special provincial architects were hired for this. In Vladimir, according to the new development plan, there were city shafts are torn - they lost strategic importance and now only interfere with the passage. When the ramparts were torn down, the Golden Gate was also threatened. The shafts supported the structure and gave it stability.
The modern appearance of the Golden Gate is due to the then restructuring. In 1795, round turrets appeared on the sides of the building, which were hidden by reinforcing buttresses attached to the building. The author of the project was the provincial architect Ivan Chistyakov. He created not only the Golden Gate project, but also the entire ensemble of the city square and tried to make all the buildings look in a single complex and “rhyme”. It was planned to turn the main mercy into a huge parade ground, on which it was possible to carry out military maneuvers - this was completely in the spirit of the then reigning emperor Paul I. But he did not manage to fully implement his project for the reconstruction of the area.
Rizopolozhenskaya church updated not according to his project, but after a few years. It was updated in 1810 or 1806 - the exact date is not yet known, and was rebuilt, most likely, according to the project of the next provincial architect - A. Vershinsky.
To the thirties the church is used as a regimental, and in the outbuildings around the Golden Gate there is a police station with a prisoner, a fire equipment warehouse and several city shops. By the 50s, the church is almost no longer operational. The internal ceilings and the wooden staircase leading to the temple were very dilapidated - it was simply dangerous to climb there.The stairs were updated a bit before the arrival of the Grand Dukes Nicholas and Michael, and they forgot again.
In 1864, the idea arose of rebuilding the Rizopolozhenskaya church into a building for a water reservoir and turning the Golden Gate into a water tower. But in the 1870s, worship continued. Through the efforts of the priest Simeon Nikolsky, the staircase to the top is finally put in order. On the 700th anniversary of the death of Andrei Bogolyubsky, who is revered in Vladimir as a saint, in 1874, Vladimir merchants arranged Vladimirskaya in one of the turrets chapel with icons of the prince, and in 1898 gilded the head of the church.
At the beginning of the 20th century, in the wake of interest in ancient Russian history and architecture, ideas arose to restore the historical appearance of the Golden Gate - at least, they were going to restore and cover the gate with shiny copper, otherwise no one could understand why the whitewashed building with a green roof is called "Golden". Even a special restoration commission was created, but it did not manage to do anything - the 1917 revolution happened. The church is located archive of the Ministry of Internal AffairsThe annexes were occupied by housing. Restoration began after the war, but the building was not rebuilt, but replaced the internal situation and slightly renovated. Electricity and ventilation were carried here in 1972, then a modern museum exposition. At one time, the building served as a support for the trolleybus line - this negatively affected its condition.
Since 1992, the Golden Gate, along with other monuments of Vladimir-Suzdal architecture, have been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The last restoration was carried out here in 2001.
Military historical exposition
Inside the Golden Gate on the upper tier is now located historical-historical exposition. Its main exhibit is a multimedia diorama with backlighting and voice acting about the Tatar-Mongol invasion of 1238, the defense and the fall of Vladimir. It was created in 1972. The author of the diorama is an honored artist E. Deshlyt, founder of one of the schools of the Soviet diorama.
Here it is weapon collectionstarting from the 12th century. Swords, shields and details of chain mail of ancient Russian warriors, a collection of weapons of the 18th century, the period of the Russian-Turkish wars: captured Turkish rifles and sabers, commemorative signs and medals of the 18th century, stands dedicated to the war of 1812, etc.
The third part of the exposition is Gallery of Heroes of the Soviet Union, natives of Vladimir and the surrounding area. Here are 153 portraits and some personal belongings of these people. A separate stand is dedicated to the feat of the pilot Nikolai Gastello - he was not a native of Vladimir, but Gastello Street has existed here since 1946. The personal belongings of Vasily Degtyarev, a military pilot, lieutenant who commanded one of the air units that defended these places in 1942, are presented. His plane was shot down, he sat down, fired back to the last and shot himself with the last cartridge. Another stand is dedicated to the astronaut Valery Kubasov, a native of Vladimir.
The museum’s gallery offers beautiful views of the city square.
Golden Gate Museum
Most likely, the Golden Gate was built by princely craftsmen. This, in particular, is evidenced by the princely sign left by the builder on one of the white stone blocks. The construction is complicated in the technique of half-foot masonry, which is widely spread in Vladimir-Suzdal architecture. The strict proportions of the passage arch, blocked by a powerful semicircular vault, and the special grace of the small church at the top gave the building a majestic character, well suited to its purpose. The date of laying the gate dates back to 1158, the end of construction - April 26, 1164, when the gateway to the Rizpozhene church was consecrated.
During the reign of Andrei Bogolyubsky, the city was surrounded by a long rampart and had seven entrance gates (except for the Golden ones, these are the Copper, the Irinins or the Orinins, Serebryany, Ivanovsky, Torgovye and Volzhsky). Only the Golden Gate has survived to this day.
It was the most front gate of the city in the XII-XIII centuries. The Ipatiev Chronicle reports that the prince “make them” with gold, bearing in mind that they were covered with sheets of gilded copper, glistening in the sun and striking the imagination of contemporaries. Bulk shafts with deep ditches on the outside were adjacent to the gate from the north and south. A bridge leading out of the city passed through the moats from the gate. The height of the arch reached 14 meters. Massive oak gate sections, hanging on forged hinges, adjoined the arched lintel, which is still preserved today. At the top of this lintel, a wooden floor was arranged, which served as an additional combat platform. From the flooring, only nests for beams in the masonry of walls were preserved. Entrance to the site was through a doorway in the south wall, in the thickness of which there was a stone staircase with a creeping box vault. At the same level, from the opposite side of the stairs there was an exit to the southern line of earthen ramparts. From the north on the ramparts was a passage directly from the platform through the door in the wall. The staircase in the south wall led further to the upper battle platform, which had battlements in the form of loopholes. In the center of this site, a gateway white-stone church of the Position of the Virgin’s Robe was erected. Most likely, it was a rather slender temple, already familiar from the buildings of Yuri Dolgoruky: a four-pillar square in plan with three altar apses with internal and external shovels on the walls, three arched portals, a cylindrical drum and a modest decoration in the form of a decorative belt that runs in the middle of the height facade.
The gates have been preserved with strong overhauls. The ancient parts of this structure include a wide passage arch with powerful side pylons and a combat platform above them, which has reached fragmentary.
Frequent devastating fires and invasions of enemies significantly distorted the appearance of the Golden Gate. According to written sources, the repair of the gate church was carried out in 1469 under the guidance of the architect and sculptor V. D. Ermolin. In 1641, by decree of Tsar Mikhail Fyodorovich, the Moscow architect Antip Konstantinov made an estimate for fixing the gates, but restoration work began only at the end of the 17th century.
In 1778, the gates burned during a big city fire. A few years later, in connection with the implementation of the new regular planning of the city, the ramparts adjacent to the walls of the Golden Gate were torn down to allow passage near them. Thus, the construction of the door supports was weakened, and the question arose about the repair of the ancient structure. In 1795, the project of architect Chistyakov was adopted, according to which buttresses enclosed in round towers were attached to the corners of the pylons. At the same time, the arches of the gates were re-arranged from the old stone, and a new brick church was built on them, consecrated in 1810. In this form, the Golden Gate has reached the present time, although from the beginning of the 19th century, attempts have been repeatedly made to restore them to their original forms.
On August 20, 1983, on the occasion of City Day celebrations, a capsule with a message to the 21st-century Vladimirians was enclosed in the niche of one of the corner towers. In the summer of 1991, Vladimirites met at the Golden Gate the relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov, solemnly transported from St. Petersburg to the village. Diveevo Nizhny Novgorod region. In the mid-1990s, over the arch of the gate were placed, as in the old days, icons: the Mother of God - from the east, Christ the Savior - from the west.
In 1992, the Golden Gate was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as part of the White Stone Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal.
Golden Gate Museum edit |
Vladimir: useful information
- City Information
- Vladimir map
- Where to go
- Attractions (21)
- Museums (11)
- Temples, churches, mosques (7)
- Amusement parks (1)
- Bus stations (1)
- Restaurants and Cafes (3)
- Parks (2)
- Theaters (1)
- Railway stations (1)
- Recreation centers (1)
- Book a hotel in Vladimir
- Search and book cheap flights
- Tourists reviews
- Photos of Vladimir
- Advice about Vladimir
- Excursions in Vladimir
|Bus||No. 12С, 15, 152, 17, 22, 25, 26, 27, 28 (ring), 6С stop “Spasskaya street”|
|Trolley bus||No. 1, 2, 5, 7, 8 (ring) stop "Spasskaya street"|
|Route taxi||No. 8 stop "Spasskaya street"|
The Golden Gate is an architectural monument, one of the main attractions and business cards of the city of Vladimir, Vladimir Region. This unique architectural structure has been preserved since the time of the XXII century.
Description of the Golden Gate in Vladimir
The Golden Gate is the greatest monument of architecture. Since 1992, this building has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The base of the structure was a white-stone quad with niches on the side walls. The doorway is high, and the arch is supported by arches. A jumper is made at about half the height of the opening. The famous building has a height of more than 20 meters. In the center of the upper tier of the gate is a small Rizpozhenskaya church.
The history of the Golden Gate in Vladimir originates in 1158, when they were only laid, and the gates were completely completed only in 1164. It was the time of the reign of Andrei Bogolyubsky, Prince of Vladimir. Being a defensive structure, the gates were also used as the Arc de Triomphe, because at that time they had become the main entrance to the part of the city where rich princes and boyars lived. In addition, the gate also performed a religious role due to the church that was operating at that time.
According to one version, the Golden Gate was created by princely craftsmen, since on a white stone you can see the princely sign. During the reign of Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky, the city was surrounded by a rampart, and there were six more gates, but to this day only the Golden Gates have remained.
Publication from the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum (@vladmuseum) Apr 26, 2018 at 2:33 pm PDT
The appearance of the building is very different from the original. This was caused by frequent fires in 1778, raids by enemies. After a certain period of time, the loose shafts that adjoined the structure itself were removed, thereby creating an unhindered passage past the gate. From the original construction, only an arch, side pylons and part of the battlefield above them remained. All other parts have been repeatedly repaired and restored. The vaults and the Rizopozhenskaya church were rebuilt, and side elements were also completed, which initially did not exist.
Today in the Church of the Rizpolozhenskaya on the upper tier of the Golden Gate there is a permanent museum with a military-historical exposition, namely weapons and military equipment.
Hotel "At the Golden Gate"
Near the gate, a 3-minute walk, there is a small hotel "At the Golden Gate". All historical sights and large shopping centers of Vladimir are within walking distance. The hotel offers round-the-clock registration, comfortable rooms, free parking at the hotel. Most vacationers respond positively about rooms and service, the hotel "At the Golden Gate" is considered to be the most popular and one of the best hotels in the city.
Not far from the Golden Gate is the famous eponymous restaurant. Visitors are offered Russian and European cuisines. Fast and decent service, highly qualified and polite staff, delicious dishes - all here are at the highest level. In addition, in the Golden Gate restaurant you can celebrate weddings or celebrate any other important event.
Especially the restaurant has become popular among tourists who, having come on an excursion to Vladimir, are sure to drop in after visiting the main attraction.
Opening hours of the Golden Gate in Vladimir
Since the gate contains an exposition on the upper tier, this place has its own working time.
- From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Weekends: Thursday and last Friday of the month (sanitary day).
- Ticket offices: from 10:00 to 17:30.
In August 2018, near the Golden Gate on the Theater Square, a light and music fountain was opened, which was built with Sberbank's charity funds. The fountain with a diameter of 14 meters has 121 dynamic stream. He will work in five modes and perform water figures with backlight and melodies. A new fountain works from spring to autumn.
The fountain operates on Mondays from 16 to 22 hours, and on other days from 10 in the morning. Hourly music show takes place at 12:00, 19:00 and 21:00.
Golden Gate Museum in Vladimir
For more than 50 years, the Vladimir Gate has been part of a museum called “Vladimir-Suzdal”. The church itself presents weapons and military equipment: chain mail, a crossbow, rifles, uniforms, awards, combat equipment, weapons, and much more. There is also a diorama showing the events of 1238.
How to get there
You can get to the Golden Gate by bus or trolley:
- Bus: No. 1s, 5, 6s, 12s, 15, 17, 22, 25, 26, 27, 28, 36, 152.
- Trolleybus: No. 1, 2, 5, 7, 8.
Get off at the Golden Gate stop closest to the gate. The scheme of movement of routes in the city can be viewed by clicking on this link.
You can also get to the Golden Gate using the services of the following taxis: VEZET, TAXI TROIKA, Your taxi, Voyage, Favorite Taxi, Taxi Maxim.
Panorama of the Golden Gate in Vladimir:
Video: Golden Gate, Vladimir