Irkutsk is the first city where a traveler gets to go to Baikal, especially to the West Coast. I recommend not going straight to the lake and staying here for one day, and today I will tell you which sights of Irkutsk to see and where to go.
Irkutsk is one of the oldest cities in Siberia; last year it celebrated its 355th anniversary. In ancient times, there were trade routes to China, and besides this, the Decembrists and other politically unwanted people were exiled to these places. This had a serious impact on cultural life: schools, libraries opened, and printing began to develop.
The city is visited by more and more tourists every year, and many of them are foreigners. The main streets already have signs in English, and sometimes Chinese and Japanese characters come across.
An interesting story happened with the coat of arms of Irkutsk. The official symbol of the city is the black babr holding a sable in its teeth. This animal was depicted on the first coat of arms of the city. "Babr" in translation from the Turkic language meant a large and strong striped tiger. Confusion occurred during the reform of Russian heraldry, and a beaver already appeared in the description of the coat of arms of 1878. Therefore, now on the coat of arms there is a babr with a beaver tail and membranes, -)
Irkutsk is some kind of rustic cozy, calm city. There are a lot of old wooden houses, something reminded me of my native Omsk. On the other hand, the same chaos and mess, if you move a little from the center, as if the owner is not.
- Schedule: Monday-Saturday from 8:00 to 20:00, Sunday from 9:00 to 20:00.
- Phone: + 7 395 220-15-52
- Website: http://www.spashram.irk.ru.
- Address: st. Suhe Bator, 2.
The temple, founded in 1706, is the only building that has survived to this day, which was part of the complex of the Irkutsk Kremlin. The architecture of the white-stone church corresponds to the traditional canons of the time, as evidenced by the semicircular apse and the classic four for worship. In 1760, an elegant two-tier bell tower was added to the main building. Of particular artistic value is the exterior painting of the walls of the temple. In addition, particles of the relics of Theodore Tomsky, miraculous icons of the "Yaroslavl Mother of God" and "St. Nicholas of Mozhaisk" are stored here.
- Schedule: daily from 8:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: +7 395 277-81-26.
- Address: Str. Barricade 34/1. Stop of transport "Julius Fuchek Street".
It is considered to be the most interesting, from an architectural point of view, temple of the city. Its construction, which was attended by the best masters of stone carving, gilding and icon painting of the city, which lasted 7 years, was completed on Easter 1892. The magnificent building in the Greek-Byzantine style is amazing. Around the central drum with 12 faces, topped by a massive dome, smaller limit drums are symmetrically located. The high domes, the arched gate of the main entrance, the colorful finish of the facade look amazing.
- Schedule: from 8:00 to 19:00 daily.
- Phone: +7 395 279-04-84.
- Address: Lower Embankment. Stops of transport "Ulitsa Nekrasova", "Square named after Kirov."
The erection of the stunning beauty of the cathedral in the style of Russian classicism, on the site of the church that burned down during the terrible fire of 1716, lasted 28 years, culminating in the consecration of the church in September 1746. He survived two major earthquakes in 1804 and 1861. In 1879, the flames of a large fire that destroyed many buildings in the city died out at the gates of the temple. The Bolsheviks who came to power after the Revolution turned out to be more ruthless than the elements. By decision of the authorities, the bakery's shops were located in the cathedral, working until 1968. Then it was decided to carry out the reconstruction, which took 18 years. At the end of the building, the building housed the exposition of the local history museum, and it returned to the bosom of the Orthodox Church only in 1994. Today, the temple looks amazing not only from the outside, but also inside. Be sure to visit it, admire the magnificent frescoes and the altar of amazingly delicate work.
Roman catholic church
- Schedule: to be confirmed by phone.
- Phone: +7 395 233-63-65.
- Address: st. Sukhe Bator, 1. Stop of transport “Count Speransky Square”.
At the end of the XIX century. with the money of a large community of Polish exiles living in Irkutsk, instead of a burned-out wooden Catholic church, a church was built of brick, consecrated in 1884. It has a Gothic exterior, typical of Polish churches. The gabled roof of the bell tower is crowned with a long spire, the facade of the building is decorated with stone sockets and high lancet windows, and you can enter it through a massive gate. After the dissolution of the Catholic community, the church was transferred to the newsreel studio. In the late 80s of the last century, the temple underwent restoration. Upon completion of work, he was transferred to the Philharmonic and is used as an organ hall. However, after the end of daily concerts, priests conduct divine services here.
Church of Xenia of Petersburg
- Schedule: daily from 8:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: +7 395 253-20-89.
- Website: http://www.ksenia-irk.ru.
- Address: st. Sovetskaya 57. Stop of transport “1st Sovetskaya street”.
An elegant log church, not far from the children's hospital, appeared in Irkutsk recently. It was built with the money of a philanthropist from North Palmyra, whose child was treated at this medical center. The building is interesting for its architecture. On the one hand, according to all the canons, it has the shape of a cross, on the other, the multi-level roofs of the limits give the church a resemblance to a fabulous house. The main relic of the church is the icon of the patroness of the church "St. Xenia of St. Petersburg." The interiors are decorated with magnificent paintings.
- Address: Lower Embankment, 8/1. Stops of transport "Ulitsa Nekrasova", "Square named after Kirov."
The history of the Arc de Triomphe, erected in 1913 for the tenth anniversary of the reign of Emperor Alexander I, is very instructive. The pompous building, 19 meters high and more than 16 meters wide, decorated with columns, bas-reliefs and stucco moldings with a tea room, arranged under the arches of the portico, required significant maintenance costs, which the city budget simply could not afford. Therefore, after 115 years from the end of construction, the decayed arch, it was decided to demolish. Historical justice triumphed almost 200 years after the laying of the first Moscow gates. In 2001, the Arc de Triomphe - an exact copy of its predecessor, took its rightful place to the delight of the townspeople.
- Address: Str. Sophia Perovskaya, 39 a. Stop of transport "White House".
The construction of a magnificent palace in the Empire style, designed by the famous architect D. Quarenghi for the first mayor of Sibiryakov M.V., began in 1800. Four years later, the new owner's family moved into a mansion whose exterior resembles an antique temple. The facade of the building is decorated with a delightful balcony in the form of a portico, which is supported by six graceful columns. Cornices are decorated with carved stone elements. For a long time the palace was used as a residence by governor-generals, during the years of the revolution it was occupied by the structures of the Central Executive Committee, and in 1918 the building was transferred to Irkutsk University.
- Address: st. Friedrich Engels, 21. Stop transport "Museum of the Decembrists."
The main building of the estate of the late XIX century., Owned by the Shastins, is a magnificent example of Russian wooden architecture. At the end of the last century, the exterior of the mansion was recreated with special care from photographs and drawings preserved in the city archives. The scrupulousness of the restoration work is amazing. Wooden carved decorative elements of the facade cornices are not inferior in grace to the famous Viennese lace. The mansion in the magnificent Russian baroque style looks simply amazing. Today, the building houses expositions of tea and city life museums, working daily from 10:00 to 20:00.
Holy Cross Exaltation Church
- Address: st. Sedova, 1. Stop transport "Holy Cross Temple."
This wonderful temple is assigned to this section due to its special architectural value. He is one of the best architectural creations in the original Siberian Baroque style. In the unique exterior of the church, features of both classical Orthodox architecture and motifs characteristic of Buddhist religious buildings are clearly traced. Traditional cupolas and domes are perfectly combined with intricate Buryat patterns covering the drums and the bell tower. The interiors of the temple are no less interesting, the true decoration of which is the carved iconostasis of the 18th century.
- Address: st. Timiryazev, 33. Stop the transport "Central Market".
Irkutsk, like no other Siberian city, suffered from nightmare fires. Therefore, the construction of the tower became an urgent need for him. In 1898, the local Duma decided to start the construction of a much-needed infrastructure facility. A 6-story red brick building with a viewing platform on the upper tier, which became the tallest building in Irkutsk at that time, was under construction for more than 2.5 years. It turned out to be surprisingly elegant, becoming a real decoration of the city.
Monument to Alexander III
- Address: Gagarin Boulevard. Stop transport "Stadium Labor."
A monument to the Russian Emperor, who ordered the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway, which gave a powerful impetus to the development of Siberia, was inaugurated in Irkutsk in 1908. A bronze figure of an autocrat 5.5 meters high, weighing about 4 tons, was erected on a granite pedestal, on three sides of which portraits of Ermak, Counts Speransky and Muravyov-Amursky are placed. On the eastern side of the monument is a bronze figure of the heraldic symbol of Russia - a two-headed eagle holding a scroll in its claws. The current monument is an exact copy of the creation of the sculptor R. Bach, which in 1920 the Bolsheviks sent for re-melting.
Monument A.V. Kolchak
- Address: st. Angarsk. Stop transport "Vocational School". Landmark - Znamensky Monastery.
The fact that the country's first monument to the great Russian explorer of the Arctic and the excellent admiral, who led the "white" movement during the Revolution, appeared precisely in Irkutsk, one should not be surprised. The city has many important milestones in the life of Alexander Vasilievich. At the local university, he repeatedly made reports on polar expeditions, left for the Russian-Japanese war, got married and rested here. The bronze figure of the admiral in his greatcoat is mounted on a pedestal with a bas-relief depicting the Red Army and the White Guard standing in front of each other with their bayonets down. In 1920, near the place where the monument is today, a brilliant Russian officer was shot.
Tank "Irkutsk Komsomolets"
- Address: Bus stop "Sukachev Manor".
The background to the appearance of the monument at the intersection of Sovetskaya and Deputatskaya Streets is very interesting. At the very beginning of the war, Komsomol members who worked at the plant named after Kuibyshev announced the start of fundraising for the construction of a tank column for the front. Citizens supported the initiative, sacrificing their own savings and family jewels for a holy cause. As a result, it was possible to collect a huge sum for those times, exceeding 2.8 million rubles. As soon as possible, the factory workers were able to master the production of military vehicles. By February 22, 1942, 12 tanks were ready to be sent to the front. The T-34, mounted on a pedestal, although it was not one of them, is a combat vehicle, the crew of which met the Victory in Czechoslovakia.
Monument G.K. Zhukov
- Address: Prospect Marshal Zhukov. Bus stop "DCC Druzhba".
The initiative to perpetuate the memory of Marshal Victory in Irkutsk was made by the Council of City Veterans in 1999. Then a special fund was created and a competition for the best version of the monument was announced. Of the 20 submitted projects, the jury selected a composition depicting Zhukov riding a horse at the time of the reception of the Victory Day parade on Red Square. A bronze sculpture mounted on a massive pedestal, lined with dark red Indian granite, appeared in all its glory to the townspeople on May 8, 2005.
Monument to a penny
- Address: st. Trilisser. Stop transport "Meteorological station."
Irkutsk can quite compete with Novosibirsk, where there is a monument to sausage, because on one of its streets you can see a no less original monument to a penny. The sculpture dedicated to the currency appeared on Trilisser Street on the eve of the celebration of the 170th anniversary of the Russian Sberbank and the 350th anniversary of the founding of the city. The diameter of a coin made of heat-resistant resin, and coated with a composition that accurately simulates metal, is 1 meter. The pedestal of this peculiar sculpture is decorated with a wise saying: “A penny saves a ruble.”
Drama Theater N.P. Okhlopkova
- Schedule: daily, except Monday. The performances start at 18:30 or 19:00. On Saturday and Sunday, performances for children starting at 11:00 are given.
- Ticket price: from 300 to 500 rubles.
- Phone: +7 395 220-04-77.
- Website: http://www.dramteatr.ru.
- Address: st. Karl Marx, 14. Stop transport "Lenin Street."
The best city theater is occupied by a surprisingly elegant historical mansion, combining antique columns, a portico and a temple dome with a baroque stucco decorating the facade in the exterior. He opened the doors to the audience in the distant 1851 and since then have not ceased to delight Melpomene fans with amazing performances. At different times, the great Russian and Soviet actors shone on the stage of the theater. A great contribution to its development was made by the famous film director Leonid Gaidai. The magnificent acoustics of the auditorium even allow you to hear half-whispers from the stage on the gallery. The repertoire of the theater includes performances based on the works of classical and modern playwrights.
Museum of Local Lore
- Schedule: daily, except Mondays, from 10:00 to 18:00 in winter and from 11:00 to 19:00 in summer.
- Ticket price: adult 200 p., For schoolchildren 70 p., For preschool children 50 p.
- Phone: +7 395 234-28-32.
- Website: http://www.museum.irkutsk.ru.
- Address: st. Karl Marx, 2.11, 13 and ul. July 3, 21, 21b. Stops of transport "Lenin Street", "Musical Theater".
The Irkutsk citizens can boast that it was in their city that the first museum in Siberia was established back in 1782. After the terrible fire of 1879, which destroyed more than 22 thousand exhibits and about 10 thousand valuable books, the institution moved to a new building - a magnificent brick Moorish-style mansion. Today the museum structure includes departments of nature, history, permanent exhibitions, a children's center, and a library. Their expositions tell about the life of indigenous peoples, the history of Siberia. Of particular interest are the magnificent paleontological and geological collections. Among the exhibits you will see many valuable artifacts.
- Schedule: from 10:00 to 18:00, daily, with a weekend on Tuesday in the summer, Wednesday in winter.
- Ticket price: adult 200 p., Student 70 p., Children's 15 p.
- Phone: +7 395 253-62-58.
- Website: http://www.imd38.ru.
- Address: st. Dzerzhinsky, 64 and st. Volkonsky, 10. Stop transport "Museum of the Decembrists."
The museum with a unique exposition occupies two estates located a block from each other. In one of them, the family of Prince Volkonsky lived in exile, and in the other, Prince Trubetskoy and his household. During the tour you will learn a lot of interesting not only about them, but also about the December uprising in general. The museum’s collection consists of personal belongings of famous Decembrists, documents from their archives, antiques, and ancient books. Among the exhibits there is a unique pyramidal piano made at the end of the 18th century.Today it is the only such musical instrument in the world that you can play.
- Schedule: daily, except Mondays, from 10:00 to 18:00 in winter and from 11:00 to 19:00 in summer.
- Ticket price: adult 150 p., Student 70 p., Children's 50 p.
- Phone: +7 395 235-81-48.
- Address: Zhukov Avenue 36 A / 1. Bus stop "DCC Druzhba".
An excursion to this museum will be very informative and interesting, especially if you come to Irkutsk with children. Today, the icebreaker launched in 1900 from the stocks of the British shipyard “Sir V.G Armstrong, Whitworth and Co.”, is the oldest ship of this class in the world. Before laying the railway track around Lake Baikal, he transported trains with steam locomotives across the lake, ensuring the continuity of cargo transportation. You have to see old navigational instruments, a model of the huge Baikal ferry and models of various ships that plowed the expanses of the great lake at different times. In the first-class cabin with a reconstructed interior of the beginning of the last century, visitors are shown a wonderful movie about icebreakers.
Museum complex Taltsy
- Schedule: daily, in the summer from 10:00 to 18:00, in the winter from 10:00 to 17:00.
- Ticket price: adult 250 rubles, student 100 rubles, children 40 rubles.
- Phone: +7 395 224-31-46.
- Website: http://www.talci.ru.
- Address: Taltsy Village.
Talking about the sights of the city of Irkutsk, one cannot but mention the unique ethnographic museum. To get here, you need to overcome 47 km of distance from the city to the picturesque Taltsinsky tract. Here, on an area of 67 hectares, more than 40 wooden architecture monuments were brought to the museum in the second half of the last century from villages and towns that fell into the flood zone when commissioning the cascade of hydroelectric power stations built on the Angara. During the tour you will see a lot of interesting things. Of particular value are the Great Spasskaya Tower and the Kazan Church, which historians date to the end of the 17th century. Separate expositions are devoted to the ethnography of Evenks, Tofalars and Buryats, who have long inhabited Eastern Siberia.
Without a doubt, the sights of the city of Irkutsk will not leave indifferent the most demanding and demanding traveler. Having been here, you will bring home wonderful luggage from a wonderful mood and wonderful emotions.
130th quarter (Irkutsk settlement)
Photo: @ my_irkutsk_38 / Instagram.com
Irkutsk settlement or the 130th quarter - one of the calling cards of Irkutsk - the public space with a total area of 5.7 hectares is a restored historical buildings. Earlier, a dilapidated wooden housing stood in the place of the fashionable quarter now. The first houses on this earth began to be built in the 18th century. In 2010, the city government decided to restore the objects of wooden architecture, and by the 350th anniversary of Irkutsk, in 2011, the 130th quarter was inaugurated.
Now it is one of the most popular places in the city, there are dozens of various cafes, bars and restaurants for every taste, as well as many shops and souvenir shops.
In the 130th quarter there are also: a planetarium, the Window to Asia department of the local history museum, DiaS contemporary art gallery, Experimentarium, an entertaining science museum, a second-hand bookshop and much more. In addition, the space of the quarter itself offers an unhurried walk. In the finale, you can take a picture against the background of the symbol of Irkutsk - the statue of “Babr”.
Quay of the Angara
Another attraction in Irkutsk is the Angara embankment, which gives the city center not only its beauty, but also fresh air. There are three parts where public gardens and public spaces are equipped - Upper Embankment, Gagarina Boulevard and Lower Embankment.
In the area of Upper Embankment there is a small square, restaurants and shops. It offers an excellent view of the dam hydroelectric power station. Closer to the center from Kozhov street to Glazkovsky bridge is Gagarin's pedestrian boulevard - one of the favorite places of citizens. In the area of intersection with Karl Marx Street, where there is a monument to Alexander III, there is a foot bridge to the picturesque island of Yunost. Here you can rent bicycles and scooters, and go ice skating in winter. Another feature of the island is the 3.25 km long East-Siberian Railway, where the whole family can ride a miniature train run by students under the guidance of instructors.
The last segment - Lower Embankment - the cradle of Irkutsk. It was on this coast in XVI that a detachment of Cossacks arrived along with their leader Yakov Pakhabov, a monument to the “Pioneers” reminds of this. Nearby you can see the first stone building of the city - the Spassky Church, as well as the Cathedral of the Epiphany and the Moscow Triumphal Gates restored on the new site. A little closer to the main square of the city - square to them. Kirova - The Eternal Flame and the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, which houses the organ hall of the Philharmonic.
Irkutsk Museum of the Decembrists and the House of Europe
Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of a noble estate in the Irkutsk Museum of the Decembrists. Two wooden mansions of the museum complex of Princes Sergey Trubetskoy and Sergey Volkonsky are located in a block from each other. In each of them, authentic things of the Decembrists are represented in historical interiors. Including the world's only active pyramidal piano of the late XVIII century, owned by Maria Volkonskaya.
The Volkonsky Manor is located next to the Church of the Transfiguration and the author’s Pilgrim Theater Studio Vladimir Sokolov. On the other side of the quarter is another of Irkutsk's calling cards - Shastin Manor, better known as the Lace House. The wooden architecture monument looks very elegant thanks to the white wooden carving, which contrasts spectacularly with the dark wood of the facade. The mansion is part of the House of Europe complex, on the territory of which there are architectural monuments, in which there are a cafe, hotel and Museum of urban life.
The address of the Volkonsky estate: per. Volkonsky, 10
Opening hours: Tue - Sun 10:00 - 18:00, Monday - day off, last Tuesday of the month - sanitary day. **
The address of the Trubetskoy estate: st. Dzerzhinsky, 64
Opening hours: Wed - Mon 10:00 - 18:00, Tuesday - day off, Last Monday of the month - sanitary day. **
The cost of visiting: 200 rubles
Gallery of V. Bronstein
The Gallery of Modern Art, founded by collector Viktor Bronstein, is a complex where three exhibition halls, a souvenir shop with original works of art and a restaurant work on an area of 1,300 square meters. After getting acquainted with the artists ’creativity, you can drink a cup of coffee, a glass of wine, have a bite or eat at the Barote Enoteka - with a unique opportunity to see the monumental works of the world-famous sculptor Dasha Namdakov through a glass wall. By the way, this is the only permanent exhibition of his works in the world.
Enoteca BarDo itself combines a wine bar, a gastronomic restaurant and a lounge. The menu mainly includes local products - Baikal fish, veal from farms, pine nuts, cooked taking into account gastronomic trends.
Address: October Revolution, 3
The cost of visiting: 150 rubles - adults, students, pensioners - 100 rubles.
Opening hours: daily 11:00 - 20:00 **
Karl Marx Street
The most beautiful street in Irkutsk is Karl Marx or, as it was called before the revolution, Bolshaya. It almost entirely consists of historical and architectural monuments, but not wooden, but stone. Indeed, most of these buildings were erected after the terrible fire of 1879, in which almost the entire city center burned out. The houses are located administrative and residential buildings, shops, educational institutions, clinics, restaurants, cafes, museums and theaters.
On the street there is a sculpture of a “tourist” looking at the roofs, because it is the second floors of the buildings that are decorated with the most interesting decor: small sculptures, flowerpots, stucco molding. Also on Karl Marx there is a monument to Lenin and playwright Alexander Vampilov.
This street is also one of the two main streets in the city. And closer to its intersection with the second central highway - Lenin Street - the most interesting objects are located. Among them, the former Russian-Asian Bank in the Art Nouveau style, the management of the VSZhD - a successful example of the Stalinist Empire, the Drama Theater. N.P. Okhlopkova in the style of classicism and the Irkutsk Museum of Local Lore, built in the spirit of the Moorish castle.
Irkutsk Museum of Local Lore or Moorish Castle
Photo: Ovchinnikova Irina / Shutterstock.com
In the building of rare beauty, which is also called the Moorish castle, at the intersection of Karl Marx Street and Gagarin Boulevard, there is a history department of the museum of local lore. In Russia, only a few such buildings have survived. The building looks like a small castle with four round red brick towers. An interesting archeological monument, the so-called deer stone, is installed at the entrance.
The building itself was erected in 1883 for the museum of the East Siberian Branch of the Russian Geographical Society, therefore it was here that Admiral Alexander Kolchak read his famous report on the Toll expedition. Over the years, the museum has included folklorist, Oriental researcher Grigory Potanin, author of the novel “Sannikov’s Land” Vladimir Obruchev, pioneer of Neanderthal burials, academician Alexei Okladnikov, author of the method of restoring a person’s appearance from bone remains Mikhail Gerasimov. And today you can feel the spirit of historical discoveries by visiting expositions on archeology, ethnography and the history of the 20th century.
Monument to Admiral Alexander Kolchak
A monument to the famous admiral and polar explorer Alexander Vasilievich Kolchak is erected near the Znamensky Monastery in the park. This place was chosen for a reason: it was here on February 7, 1920 that Kolchak was shot, and his body was thrown into the hangar of the Angara.
“We must not allow the repetition of that disaster, that’s why I made this monument. I urge you all to unity, namely as a people, as citizens of one country, ”the message of the author of the monument, sculptor Vyacheslav Klykov to descendants.
Where is: on the right bank of the Angara River at the entrance to the Znamensky Monastery
Photo: @sveta_kornblume / Instagram.com
The icebreaker "Angara" is a museum-ship, which is on a joke on the shore of the Irkutsk reservoir in the Solnechny microdistrict. It is the oldest surviving icebreaker in the world. It was made in Newcastle (UK) and launched on July 25, 1900 in the village of Listvennichnoye. Intended for laying a path in the ice for the Baikal ferry, which did not survive to this day. By the way, it was this icebreaker that allowed Russia to defend its Far Eastern territory during the Russo-Japanese War, because thanks to the ship, it was possible to transfer the army and supplies to the east of the country.
Now an exposition on the history of shipping on Lake Baikal is operating on the icebreaker. During the tour, you can inspect the entire ship and even go down to the engine room. Near the ship there is a cafe. In summer, the beach works, where you can sunbathe, and if you wish, even swim. There is a rental of catamarans. In winter, an ice rink and slides work. The place is also popular with skiers.
The Circum-Baikal Railway was not accidentally called the “Golden buckle of the steel belt of Russia”, because it connected the Trans-Siberian Railway, torn by Lake Baikal. The object is considered a unique monument of engineering architecture and is on the waiting list for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List. By the way, in terms of the number of works per 1 kilometer of the track and the difficulty of their implementation, the road surpasses all the constructed rail tracks in the world. It is also rightfully considered the most beautiful of them, because it is laid among the rocks along a narrow strip of the Baikal coast.
Travel on it can be done today. Rather, on its 84-kilometer stretch. The Circum-Baikal Express leaves from the railway station in Irkutsk.
From May to October there is an opportunity to explore the Circum-Baikal Railway from Baikal on the Barguzin motor ship. He leaves Irkutsk from Rocket Jetty weekly on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and runs through the Angara River to the Circum-Baikal Railway and then to Cape Polovinny.
Ticket price for the Circum-Baikal Express: from 3350 to 3800 rubles, depending on the season
The ticket price on the Barguzin motor ship needs to be clarified additionally by calling 8 (3952) 35-88-60 and 8 (3952) 287-287.
Ticket offices are located at the address: Solnechny metro station, 98 B Zhukov Avenue, Rocket Station - from 10:00 to 19:00, and ul. Tsesovskaya embankment 1, stop Household, "River Station" - from 12:00 to 18:00.
Listvyanka is located 64 kilometers from Irkutsk. This is the closest place from Irkutsk where you can see Baikal.
At the entrance to the village is the Baikal Museum of the INTs SB RAS. In it you can not only see the seal and get acquainted with the inhabitants of the lake, but also find out how the Baikal Depression was formed millions of years ago, and even make a trip to the deep-sea bathyscaphe. Another center of attraction for tourists is the Shaman-stone - a piece of rock that is visible on the surface of the water at the place where the Angara flows from the lake. According to legend, Baikal wanted to give his daughter in marriage to a young warrior named Irkut, but Angara fell in love with another hero, the Yenisei, and fled to him. Then the angry father threw after her a huge stone - that same rock.
In the village you can taste local fish delicacies in numerous cafes and restaurants, buy souvenirs in open areas and in shops. If desired, you can spend the night in Listvyanka. In the village there are hotels for every taste and budget: from wooden houses with a Russian bath to the fashionable Mayak Hotel on the shore of Lake Baikal.
How to get there: by bus from the bus station (11 October Revolution St.) at 07:00, 09:00, 11:00, 13:30, 16:00, 18:30. From Listvyanka at 09:00, 11:00, 14:00, 16:45, 18:00, 20:00. Cash desk working hours: from 06:45 to 19:15. The fare is 90 rubles.
Minibuses to Listvyanka depart from the parking lot at the corner of the October Revolution and Timiryazev streets (near the bus station) and from the parking lot in the central market. Departure time for filling, from 8 am to 8 pm. The fare is 120 rubles.
Architectural and Ethnographic Museum Taltsy
Photo: @ siggi12384 / @ umib0zu
One of the few historical open-air historical complexes in Russia is the Taltsy architectural and ethnographic museum, located 47 kilometers from Irkutsk on the way to Listvyanka. On an area of 67 hectares in the picturesque Taltsinsky tract on the banks of the Angara, you can see unique monuments of the XVII-XIX centuries. The museum’s exposition is based on the wooden buildings of small towns and villages in the Irkutsk Region, which fell into the flood zone of the hydroelectric station cascade on the Angara.
Currently, the museum has over 40 architectural monuments and more than 8 thousand exhibits. There are four historical and cultural zones in the complex: Russian old-housing, Buryat, Evenki and Tofalar. But perhaps the most unique object is Ilimsky Ostrog, the only wooden fortress in the world that has survived to this day.
The central place is occupied by the Spasskaya Tower - a symbol of the museum. In addition to the tower inside the fortress are the Kazan Church, three jail towers, a guest yard, an order and guardhouse and a salt barn. Some buildings are being restored.
In Taltsy you can not only see interesting architectural structures, but also try yourself in blacksmithing and pottery, purchase authentic souvenirs and taste Russian cuisine.
Museum website: talci-irkutsk.ru
Opening hours: daily (March-October) 10:00 - 18:00, (November-February) 10:00 - 17:00 **
The cost of visiting: 250 rubles - adults, children, students, senior citizens - 100 rubles.
* Prices for travel and accommodation are indicated at the time of writing. The cost indicated in the material and the final price may vary, depending on the season and the time for which the purchase of tickets takes place.
** The operation mode of organizations is indicated at the time of publication of the text.Opening hours may vary depending on the time of year.
Lyricist: Orlova Elena
Preview photo: @nickolai_tarkhanov
Moscow Triumphal Gate
A relatively new attraction, but with a long history. The first Moscow Gate was built in 1811 and performed several functions: through them passed the exit to the western part of the state, they served as an outpost and celebrations were held in them, later there was an archive. In addition, since the building is located on the banks of the Angara River, it was a rescue station.
The Moscow gates stood for more than a hundred years. And in 1928, due to their deteriorating technical condition, the city administration decided to dismantle it. But in 2009, on the 350th anniversary of the city (2011), it was decided to rebuild them.
The appearance of the arch is fully consistent with the original: four tiers 19 meters high, more than 16 meters long and 7 meters wide. The facade, made in the style of the empire memorial, is decorated with stucco, restored from old photographs and descriptions of contemporaries.
The icebreaker Angara is one of the oldest surviving ships of this class in the world. The ship was launched 117 years ago. But in 1907, due to costly maintenance, the icebreaker was joked for 10 years. "Angara" took an active part in the civil war, and after its end, towed barges in the waters of Lake Baikal.
In the 60s they wanted to cut it into metal, but when entering the port the icebreaker “successfully” ran aground. In 1987, a museum was created on its basis, which in 1990 was restored and moored in the Solnechny microdistrict, next to the dam of the hydroelectric power station.
The vessel is a branch of the Irkutsk Museum of Local Lore. The exhibition includes two complexes: "History of the icebreaker" Angara "and" History of shipping on Lake. Baikal". Authentic photographs and documents of crew members are presented to visitors; the engine of the ship is still operating in the engine room. The second exposition displays models and mock-ups of ships that have been sailing in the waters of Lake Baikal since the beginning of the 17th century.
The construction of the Temple was carried out since 1885, and was completed by Easter in 1892 with the consecration of 3 chapels. Before its erection, food warehouses were located on this place, and local residents were at first against their demolition. But after the local merchant allocated money for the transfer of buildings, the dispute was resolved. In raising funds, not only the population of Irkutsk helped, but also residents of other Siberian cities.
After the revolution, the cathedral received parishioners until 1936. Then, a warehouse was arranged there, and later a souvenir factory. Restoration began in the late 80s, its original appearance was completely restored.
In the architecture of the Kazan Temple, traditional motifs are combined with new techniques: additional turrets decorated with tents. The contrasting facade with various decorative elements (panels, beam kokoshniks, twin columns) looks solemn and festive. It is currently an object of cultural heritage and is protected by the state.
The first construction of the temple was completed in 1693, but in 1716, as a result of the fire, the wooden structure was completely destroyed. In 1718, at the same place, its re-erection began, already of brick, which lasted 13 years. But after half a century, the cathedral was partially damaged during the earthquake. Despite the fact that over the many years of history the temple suffered from natural disasters several times, the services in it did not stop.
After the October Revolution, services ceased in 1934, and a bakery factory was organized on the territory of the church. In the 60s, they planned to demolish it, but later decided to restore it. By the end of the 80s, the cathedral was restored and a few years later returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Holy Cross Exaltation Church
The first church on Cross Mountain was built in 1719. But in the middle of the century it was demolished, and began the erection of a stone temple. Finished work by the end of the 1750s. The church in a unique style, the Siberian Baroque, was completed.
The temple is famous not only for its appearance. There are more than 600 icons in it, and 400 of them have artistic value.
With the advent of Soviet power, the church was decided to be demolished, but in 1936 an anti-religious museum was organized here. However, after 7 years, the services were restored thanks to the efforts of the religious community.
Manor of Sukachev
Family estate of Vladimir Platonovich Sukachev - the founder of the first art gallery in Siberia. The house was built in the second half of the XIX century. And in the mid-90s of the 20th century, he was given the status of a monument of federal significance.
At the moment, it is a branch of the Regional Art Museum, the main part of the collection of which is the canvas of Russian masters. The manor of the century before last is restored in the manor, antique furniture and things belonging to the collector are presented.
Often exhibitions are held, both historical and modern. Two exhibitions are constantly working: "Contemporaries of V.P. Sukachev" and "Sukachev. Era. Fate. " The room is recreated (according to preserved photographs) winter garden.
House of Merchants Shastins
The estate is also called the “Lace House” and “House of Europe”. Built at the end of the year before last in the Russian Baroque style, acquired its current form in 1907, when it was transferred to the use of A. I. Shastin. It was under his leadership that most of the carved ornaments of the house were mounted.
At the end of the 20th century, restoration was started, work was carried out on the basis of materials from archives: photographs and drawings. In addition to the building itself, a wooden fence with a gate was restored.
At the estate are currently located:
- "House of urban life"
- Office of the Department of Culture
- Department of International Relations of the House of Europe company
- Two tea museums
- Hotel decorated in Russian style
- A cafe
Volkonsky House, Irkutsk Regional Historical and Memorial Museum of the Decembrists
Prince S. G. Volkonsky - Decembrist sentenced to death. Subsequently, the execution was replaced by a link, and in 1845 they allowed to move from the village to the city. Sergey Grigoryevich enjoyed respect among the peasants, as he gladly accepted their society, knew how to manage the house, and loved to speak heart to heart.
The museum of the Decembrists has preserved authentic interior items and personal belongings of the noble family, a collection of bead embroideries is presented. But the main attraction is the pyramidal piano, made in the XVIII - XIX century in Germany. It was played by Maria Volkonskaya (daughter of General Raevsky), the spouse of the prince.
In 1970, the first exposition "Decembrists in Irkutsk" was presented. The museum is filled with an intelligent atmosphere, reflecting the life of the princely family, their personal items and furniture are on display. In addition, the estate hosts musical and literary evenings, exhibitions of contemporary artists.
This area began to be built back in the 17th century, when this territory was still outside the borders of the city. For centuries, the land was undeveloped, and in the 20th century it was like a village in the middle of the city. By the city’s anniversary, less than 10 years ago, the Irkutsk administration decided to create a historical development zone here. The quarter was completely restored, and instead of the old abandoned wooden barracks, dozens of architectural monuments and paved footpaths appeared.
In some estates and mansions there are museums:
- The Window to Asia Complex. In this house there was a strike of printing workers, led by Sergey Kirov.
- Museum of the Siberian Railway. Previously, the estate belonged to the Zatoplyaev family.
- The exposition Craft Compound is located in the Kurnosov mansion.
After visiting the historic buildings, you can visit modern shops, restaurants and cafes located on the territory of the Irkutsk settlement.
Lower Angara Embankment
In the XVII century, at the current location of the observation deck and embankment, a marina was arranged, to which boats and ships came along the Angara moored. Here the road to the Znamensky Monastery passed. This area was the "heart of the city." There were various government agencies, including customs. The first Gostiny Dvor in the city was built right there.
The embankment is two-story: one for hiking, the second for car traffic. On a walking street, guests of the city can admire monuments of art and architecture, such as: Moscow Gate, "Arbor of Tsarevich Nicholas", the Epiphany Cathedral, Spasskaya Church, a monument to St. Peter and Favronia, a sculpture to the founders of the city.
Architectural and Ethnographic Complex Taltsy
The open-air museum includes 78 monuments of civil, cultural and defense architecture of Siberians of the XVII - XX centuries. The ethnographic collection consists of several thousand exhibits depicting the culture and life of different peoples living in the territory of the Baikal region. The entire fund of the museum, including storerooms, has about 25,000 exhibits.
In the architectural and ethnographic complex, festivities are held with Russian flavor. In compliance with all traditions, Easter, Shrovetide, Christmas, Trinity are celebrated. You can even play a wedding with rites of the XVII - XVIII centuries. The museum has a stable, birch bark and pottery workshops.