Travel

Holidays in Jindrichuv Hradice

Pin
Send
Share
Send


Jindrichuv Hradec, Jindřichувv Hradec (Czech Jindřichův Hradec ˈjɪndr̝ɪxuːf ˈɦradɛts), ex. Neuhaus (German: Neuhaus) - a city in the south of the Czech Republic, a municipality with expanded powers and the administrative center of the Jindřichувv Hradec region of the South Bohemian Region. The population is 22 604 people.

Content

In the early Middle Ages it was a Slavic settlement. At the end of the 12th century, Jindřich (Heinrich), a representative of the elder branch of the Vitkovici, builds a Romanesque castle on a high spur of cliff above the river Nežárka (Czech Nežárka) (the cylindrical Black Tower, 32 m high, adjoins the Gothic Palace) who calls Gradets. From now on, the descendants of Jindřich call themselves Lord from Hradec (Czech Páni z Hradce), and together with their relatives from other branches possess such power that King Przemysl Otakar II pledges Ceske Budejovice to weaken the influence of the Witkowicz in this region.

The first official mention of the city dates back to 1220, when a classic castle in the style of early Gothic is attached to the Romanesque fortress. Chronicles in Latin were kept by monks, and therefore the city was called by them Nova Domus, or, in the German manner, Neuhaus.

The city and the impregnable castle safely survived the Hussite wars - there is not even information whether the Hussites even attempted to begin this fortress, or passed by. In 1483, two golden lions and the letter “W” were added to the coat of arms of Witkowicz, a golden rose on a blue background, a special mercy of King Vladislav II, this coat of arms still exists as a city emblem.

Vitkovici from Hradec owned the city and the castle until 1604, then the estate was inherited by the Slavat family, to whom they belonged until 1693, and the city was engaged in the production and sale of textiles. Vilem Slavata from Chlum (1628–1652) was the highest chancellor of the Czech Republic and had great influence. After the Thirty Years War, in 1654, the city was the second most populated city in the Czech Republic, after Prague.

The last lords of the city was the Cherninov family from Khudenits (Czech Černínové z Chudenic), who owned the local castle until 1945. They did not live here, and the castle gradually fell into decay (primarily after the fire in 1773, only the restoration in 1906-1923 saved it from turning into ruins).

The city has the Faculty of Management of the Higher School of Economics.

The city castle is the third largest castle in the Czech Republic (the complex of buildings occupies 3.5 hectares). The castle consists of a total of approx. 320 rooms (in summer you can visit 3 excursion routes through the castle). His pride is the Rondelle music style pavilion in the mannerism. In addition, the third courtyard of the castle is decorated with beautiful arcades in the Renaissance style and the castle well, decorated with a multi-colored lattice of the beginning. XVII century The city is also famous for its City Museum, where a wooden nativity scene with moving figures, made by the craftsman Creza, is exhibited. This nativity scene is the largest in the world.

The city is a starting point when traveling along a narrow gauge railway (to Novaya Bystritsytsya and Obratan, a track gauge of 760 mm). Unique railway tracks are preserved here, and you can ride with a breeze both on an ordinary passenger train (about the 60s) and on a retro train.

The city has preserved the complex of the Minorite Monastery with the Church of St. John the Baptist, as well as the Probsts Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (XIV century), which houses the family tomb of the aristocratic family of Pan from Hradec.

Sights

The city castle is the third largest castle in the Czech Republic (the complex of buildings occupies 3.5 hectares). The castle consists of a total of approx. 320 rooms (in summer you can visit 3 excursion routes through the castle). His pride is the Rondelle music style pavilion in the mannerism. In addition, the third courtyard of the castle is decorated with beautiful arcades in the Renaissance style and the castle well, decorated with a multi-colored lattice of the beginning. XVII century The city is also famous for its City Museum, where a wooden nativity scene with moving figures, made by the craftsman Creza, is exhibited. This nativity scene is the largest in the world.

The city is a starting point when traveling along a narrow gauge railway (to Obzanje and Novaya Bystrzyca, inter-blast 760 mm). Here, unique railway tracks are preserved and you can ride with a breeze both on a train of the 60s and on an old train.

The complex of the Minorite Monastery with the Church of St. John the Baptist has been preserved in the city.

The cathedral of the city - the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (completed in 1342) also looks impressive.

Peace Square

The main square of the city, which, in the best traditions of European cities, has a town hall, the Mariana Column (it is also a plague pillar) and nice buildings around its perimeter. Among the buildings, the Langer house stands out with the arcade gallery and paintings on the Old Testament preserved from the XVI century.

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Not far from the main square, it is easy to see the church with a tower towering over the city. Its height is 68 meters, and an observation deck is equipped at the top. In order to climb the tower you will need to overcome 153 steps. The temple was built in the XIII-XIV centuries, and was originally made in the Gothic style. An interesting fact is that the fifteenth meridian passes through the corner of the cathedral. It is in this church that the remains of St. Hippolytus, the patron saint of the city, are stored, as well as the burials of representatives of the dynasty of lords from Hradec and Slavat.

Church of St. John the Baptist

This ancient Gothic church, built in the 13th century by the Teutonic knights, is rightfully considered one of the most significant architectural monuments of the South Bohemia region. Inside, it is interesting to see Gothic murals, statues of saints, antique furniture and tombstones. On the north side of the church is also the Minorite Monastery (Franciscan) with a building preserved from the time of its construction in 1369.

What to see in the surroundings

In order to see the surroundings, it is convenient to take the popular tourist route along the historic narrow-gauge railway. The road runs along the route Jindrichuv Hradec - Nowe Bystrzyce - Obrtan and back. The track width is only 760 mm. The road, with a length of 79 kilometers, has been operating since 1897 and runs through the most beautiful places in Czech Canada (that's what these places are often called).

Among the places around the city you should pay attention to:

  • Cherven Lhota Castle - a medieval red castle, considered one of the most photogenic in the country,
  • Жirovnice Castle with an exposition of sewing machines and mother-of-pearl products,
  • Landstein Castle, built in the 13th century and destroyed at the end of the 18th century
  • Telc is the first cultural heritage monument in the Czech Republic, a museum city.
  • The small Czech towns of Trebon, Kamen, Dacice, Slavonice, Straž nad Nežarkoj.

How to get there on your own

From Prague, Jindrichuv Hradec is easily accessible by car, as well as by public transport.

The distance from Prague to Jindrichuv Hradec is 140 kilometers by car.

Buses from the Czech capital run regularly: two direct flights and one with a change in Ceske Budejovice. A direct bus follows a little more than two hours, a flight with a change - more than five, and almost half the time will have to be spent in Ceske Budejovice.

Two and a half hours from Prague to Jindrichuv Hradec can also be reached by train. Trains depart daily from the main station in Prague.

Geography and climate

Jindrichuv Hradec is located in the south of the country on the border of two historical regions - Bohemia and Moravia. The river Nezharka flows through the city. Nearby is the border with Austria. The climate is temperate. Summer is warm, winter is rather mild.

Streets of Jindrichuv Hradec

Practical information

  1. The population is 21.9 thousand people.
  2. Area - 74.27 square kilometers.
  3. Language is Czech.
  4. Currency - Czech koruna.
  5. The visa is Schengen.
  6. Time is Central European UTC +1, in the summer +2.

In the early Middle Ages, a Slavic settlement existed on the site of Jindrichuv Hradec. At the end of the 12th century, Jindřich from the Witkowicz clan built a castle on the rocky spur over the Nezharka river. The castle was named Hradec, and its descendants later began to call themselves gentlemen from Hradec. The influence of this kind in South Bohemia was so great that King Przemysl Otakar II had to lay in opposition to Ceske Budejovice.

Streets of Jindrichuv Hradec

The first mention of the city dates from 1220. At this time, the Romanesque fortress was rebuilt into a Gothic castle. Jindrichuv Hradec safely survived the Hussite wars and other conflicts.

Streets of Jindrichuv Hradec

Vitkovichi owned the city until 1604. From the beginning to the end of the 17th century, Jindrichuv Hradec belonged to the Slavat clan. Interestingly, after the Thirty Years War, it was the second largest city in the Czech Republic after Prague.

The last owners of the castle were representatives of the Cherninov clan from Khudenitsy. With them, the city fell into decay. And the castle was actually abandoned. A massive restoration in the 20th century saved him from destruction.

Pin
Send
Share
Send

Town
Jindrichuv Hradec
Czech Jindřichův Hradec
FlagCoat of arms
49 ° 08′25 ″ s w. 15 ° 00′08 ″ c. d. H G I O L
A country Czech Republic
EdgeSouth Bohemian
DistrictJindrichuv Hradec
Chapter Stanislav Mrvka d
History and Geography
Foundedend of the 12th century
First mention1220
Former namesNeuhaus
Square74.27 km²
Center height475 m
TimezoneUTC + 1, in summer UTC + 2
Population
Population▼ 21 850 people (2012)
Digital identifiers
Postcode377 01
Car codeC (old JH)
jh.cz