Archbishopric (Kutna Hora, Czech Republic) - a harsh, monumental structure, the walls of which are crowned with the emblem of the city. Gothic culture, architecture and art in the Middle Ages were cult and purely religious. Distinctive features of Gothic architecture are inherent in the building, which in 1594 - 1599. the archbishopric of Kutnaya Gora was located.
During these five years, here, in the Archbishopric, there was a fairly well-known Sunday Renaissance school in the Czech Republic. The essence of schooling was to prepare students for education at the university. On the portal, however, as well as throughout the building, quotes from the works of Cicero were preserved, one of which states the significance and role of the education received by him in a person’s life.
Between the building of the Archbishopric and the church located nearby, you can admire the unique bridge created back in the 17th century.
Photo and description
Next to the Church of St. Jakub the Elder and the Italian Courtyard on Yakubskaya Street is the Archbishopric, whose building looks strict and concise, as befits the place where the highest ranks of the Church gathered and discussed urgent matters. In addition, a Sunday school operated in the Archbishopric, in which, from 1594 to 1599, young people were trained to continue their education in higher education institutions such as universities and to move further along the scientific path. The Holy Fathers, who worked as teachers, were educated people who had a large library, which included the works of many philosophers and scientists of the past. The Church did not approve of the beliefs and theories of some of them, but this does not mean at all that their books could not be found in the local book depository. The portal of the building of the Archbishopric is decorated with sayings of Cicero carved in stone. Their general meaning boils down to the fact that teaching various types of sciences is the key to a beautiful future.
By the way, the portal adorns the coat of arms of the city of Kutna Hora, which has been preserved in perfect condition to our time. The artsy entrance to the Archbishopric is the only liberty in the design of the entire building. A stone carver named Pavel was invited to work on the portal. He lived in Prague, and his skill was valued far beyond the borders of the capital of the Czech state.
If you go from the Archbishopric to the Church of St. Jacob, you can see the masonry on the pavement, which is more than three centuries old. This is probably the oldest pavement in the city.
Interesting places Kutna Hora
The site contains the sights of Kutna Hora - photos, descriptions and travel tips. The list is based on popular guides and is presented by type, name and rating. Here you will find answers to questions: what to see in Kutna Hora, where to go and where are the popular and interesting places of Kutna Hora.
Kostnitsa is an amazing chapel, the surreal interior of which is completely built from human bones. This atmospheric place is located in the Sedlice Monastery, on the outskirts of the town of Kutna Hora, 80 kilometers from Prague.
The history of such a strange but interesting place originates in 1278. It was this year that Abbot Jindrich was returning from Jerusalem, where he grabbed a pinch of land from Calvary for the monastery cemetery. The fact that the monastery was now a holy land, attracted a lot of those who chose to rest the holy land, rather than simple.
A wave of customers covered the spot in 1318 during the plague epidemic (30,000 people). Not surprisingly, the place was running out of space and a similar situation ceased to suit the monastery leadership, which ordered in case of new burials, to remove and stack old bones from the ground in the basement of the cathedral.
In 1784, the emperor ordered the monastery to be closed, and Schwarzenberg bought his property and land. The pile of bones of the monastery did not inspire the new owners, and they hired a wood carver, Frantisek Rint, who was asked to build something in the Gothic style there.
His works are impressive: a chandelier composed of skulls and scapulas, a vase of bones, a pyramid of femurs, an autograph laid out of jaws, knuckles and other details of the human skeleton. This kind of "deadly creative" attracts millions of tourists to its skeletal walls.
According to various sources, the master left the remains of about 50,000 people for all the work.
St. Barbara's Cathedral
Cathedral of St. Barbara is one of the main attractions of the city of Kutna Hora. This magnificent cathedral is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
St. Barbara's Cathedral is one of the most famous Gothic temples in central Europe. It was erected in honor of St. Barbara, the patroness of miners. The construction of the cathedral began in 1388, but was suspended several times, so it was completed only in 1905. There is evidence that according to the original plan this building was supposed to be twice as large as the existing one. The first architect to create the cathedral was Jan Parler, the son of the famous architect Peter Parler, who participated in the construction of the Charles Bridge, St. Witt Cathedral and other churches in Prague. Later, the construction of the cathedral was led by architects Matey Reisek and Benedict Reith.
What sights of Kutna Hora did you like? Next to the photo area there are icons, by clicking on which you can evaluate this or that place.
Zleby Castle is a medieval Gothic fortress, which is a famous architectural monument of the 13th century Czech Republic. Over the centuries, his style has been improved many times, and today the neo-Gothic architectural style dominates the castle.
Zleby Castle is located on the right bank of the Doubrava River, in the village of Kutna Hora of the Czech Republic of the same name, in central Bohemia. Although the building was built in the Middle Ages, only at the beginning of the XIX century it was rebuilt in the Neo-Gothic style. Today, in the castle of Zleby there is a functioning museum of the Middle Ages. Here you can see a large number of ancient weapons, knightly armor, phosphor figurines and magnificent art paintings of Czech rulers and former owners of the castle, as well as trophies and exhibits that were brought from different cities of the world.
Zleba Castle and its medieval museum are always interesting for guests and tourists, but you need to take into account one feature of the tour - you can’t take pictures or shoot videos here.
In photo mode, you can view the sights in Kutna Hora only by photos.
St. Jacob's Cathedral
St. Jacob's Cathedral in Kutnaya Gora is located in a place of honor among the temples of the city and its other attractions. The tower of the monastery rises above Kutnaya Gora and acts as a landmark, as it can be seen from any district of the city. The construction of St. Jakub Cathedral was carried out by workers of a well-known Prague workshop, the work lasted almost a hundred years, from 1330 - 1420. In the project, the monastery should have had two towers, but this idea remained incomplete. The impossibility of erecting a second tower is due to the sloping earthen slope on which the cathedral is located. The second name of the cathedral is “Tall”, which he received thanks to his only tower, the height of which reaches about 86 meters.
After the construction work on the construction of St. Jacob's Cathedral was completed, misfortune happened - the Hussites burned his church. After the building was restored, it passed into the possession of the Utraquist church, in it was the residence of the bishop. Since that time, the temple has preserved many different cultural values, made in the style of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque, as well as genuine decoration and wall paintings. The facade of the structure is decorated with portals, and the naves are crowned with cross-shaped arches.
Baroque gallery in front of Jesuit College
The baroque gallery in front of the Jesuit College, in the Czech city of Kutna Hora, appeared at the beginning of the 18th century, at the same time as the construction of the college itself, on the project of which the Italian architect Orsi worked. The Baroque gallery is located on the approach, resembling a bridge, from college to the temple of St. Barbara. This approach was created in the likeness of the famous Charles Bridge in Prague, and also, following his example, was decorated with a terrace of 12 sculptural groups of saints, created according to the project of the baroque master Frantisek Baugut.
Among the saints to whom the gallery is dedicated in the city of Kutna Hora, one can name such names as St. John of Nepomuk, St. Barbara, St. Joseph, St. Frantisek Xavier and St. Charles the Great. Each sculpture has an inscription on the base, indicating the name of the saint and the event related to his personality, and also the date of creation of the sculpture. Thus, the baroque gallery, in addition to its original function of decoration, serves as a kind of chronogram telling the history of the country.
Beer Restaurant Daczycki
This stylish restaurant covers an area of about 1000 square meters. meters. It is named after Mikulash Dachitsky from Geslov (1555-1626), a famous Kutnogorsk nobleman, an outstanding writer, lover of feasts, wine and the weaker sex. At the restaurant you can try the delicacies of traditional Czech and Old Czech cuisine, as well as other original dishes. A wide range of dishes is complemented by six varieties of excellent draft beer and unique Kutnogorsk wine. In this wonderful colorful place you can have a great time. The restaurant has free Wi - Fi. Payment can be made in CZK, EUR, USD, as well as by credit cards.
The historical center of Kutnaya Gora
Kutna Hora - an ancient city on a hill 66 km from the Czech capital. Previously, the city was famous for its silver deposit, now it is a cute little city (about 20 thousand inhabitants), which retained the appearance of medieval Czech Republic. The historical center is an architectural pearl inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
It houses the famous temple of St. Barbara, which is considered the patroness of mining. The temple named after her was built in the 15th century in the Baroque style, now the neo-Gothic style has taken on the appearance of the temple. He is beautiful with interior paintings, stained-glass windows and frescoes. Not far from the temple there is an observation deck that will open a beautiful panoramic view of the historic center, including Palachkevo Square, the Church of St. Jacob, the Church of the Virgin Mary, the Jesuit College of the XII century.
Another attraction of the city is noteworthy: the All Saints Cemetery Church, the interior and exterior decoration of the temple is made of human bones and skulls, which suggests a great deal of human mortality.
The stone house (house number 183) on Kutnaya Gora is one of the most beautiful houses in the Czech Republic, built in the late Gothic style, which have survived to this day. Now tourists can see the initial layout and the extensive cellars of the building.
The building was built in the Dogus period in 1489 by order of Prokop Crowpa, a mining entrepreneur and patrician of Kutnaya Gora. The house is decorated with reliefs and openwork ornaments that give out the highly artistic design of the creator of this beautiful architectural structure. On the pediment of the building is visible a pottery sign depicting Adam and Eve under the tree of knowledge.
The stone house was rebuilt several times in connection with the change of ownership. In the XIX century, the building acquired the city, so it has retained its appearance. Now it houses the museum exposition “Crafts and Kutna Hora”.
The most popular attractions in Kutna Hora with descriptions and photos for every taste. Choose the best places to visit the famous places of Kutna Hora on our website.
Kutna Hora: attractions and self-guided itinerary
The city of Kutná Hora, founded in the first half of the 13th century, was originally a mining village in a silver mine. By the end of the same century, becoming a major center for silver mining, the small village turned into a rich royal city. Kutná Hora is rightfully considered a treasury whose wealth stood at the height of the Czech kingdom.
Kutna Hora boasts completely unique buildings of different historical periods and architectural styles, and at the end of the last century, due to its historical uniqueness, this city was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Cathedral of St. Barbara in Kutna Hora
It is best to start exploring the historical center of the city with the most famous architectural landmark of Kutna Hora - the Gothic Cathedral of St. Barbara (Chrám svaté Barbory, No. 1 on the map). The construction of the cathedral, dedicated to the patroness of miners, was started in the second half of the 14th century on the initiative and with the money of the wealthy citizens of Kutna Hora. Such famous architects as Jan Parler and Matias Reisek took part in the construction of the temple, and according to some sources the cathedral should have been twice as large as it actually is.
The construction of St. Barbara's Cathedral depended directly on the prosperity of the silver mines of Kutna Hora and was carried out in stages. When silver mining began to stop in the first half of the 16th century, the construction of the temple was stopped, and the Cathedral of St. Barbara was left unfinished. The next few centuries, the construction of the temple was supported by the Jesuit Order, then the cathedral acquired a Baroque roof and other Baroque elements. In fact, the Cathedral of St. Barbara in Kutna Hora was completed only at the beginning of the 20th century.
During the reconstruction carried out in accordance with the original plan for the construction of the temple, St. Barbara Cathedral received a new western neo-Gothic facade, a Gothic roof, stained glass windows and the main altar, created on the basis of the descriptions of the original late Gothic altar, lost at the time when the Jesuits owned the temple. Frescoes dating back to the 15th century have been preserved in the chapels of the cathedral, and the soaring ribbed vault of the main nave with its size and splendor can compete with St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague Castle.
Cathedral of St. Barbara and the surroundings of Kutna Hora
St. Barbara's Cathedral in Kutna Hora is a masterpiece of late Gothic architecture. It is both a national cultural monument and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Today, the cathedral hosts regular worship services, group tours and organ concerts.
Chapel of the body of the Lord
In the immediate vicinity of the Cathedral of St. Barbara is another attraction of Kutna Hora - the Chapel of the Lord’s body (Kaple Božího těla, No. 2 on the map). The construction of this two-story cemetery chapel began in the second half of the 14th century, however, only the lower floor was built, intended for the skeleton, the upper chapel was not completed for unknown reasons.
At the end of the last century, the state of the chapel deteriorated so much that it fell into the list of one hundred disappearing architectural monuments in the world. After the reconstruction was completed in 2000, the Chapel of the Lord’s body in Kutna Hora was opened for visitors, concerts, weddings and other celebrations are also held in the chapel building, and a beautiful view of the surroundings of Kutna Hora opens from the observation deck on the roof of the chapel.
Lower floor of the Chapel of the Lord’s body
Jesuit College in Kutna Hora
Continuing your tour of Kutna Hora, take a walk along the wide Barborská street, decorated with statues of saints following the example of the Prague Charles Bridge. The second of the thirteen Baroque statues is female, it personifies St. Barbara, the patroness of Kutna Hora.
On the left side of the street is a two-story building, which, thanks to its baroque facade, decorated with stucco molding, pilasters and towers, looks a bit like a palace. This is a complex of buildings of the former Jesuit College (Jezuitská kolej, No. 3 on the map), built in the late 17th century. The college lasted more than a hundred years, and after the abolition of the Jesuit Order was closed and belonged to the military until the end of the last century.
Barborská Street, on the right Jesuit College
Today, the Jesuit College houses a gallery of contemporary art, which also displays works by young Czech artists and designers and an exposition telling the history of the Jesuit College in Kutna Hora.
Hrádek Silver Museum and the Medieval Silver Mine
The Czech Silver Museum is located in Kutna Hora, it is housed in a small Gothic fortress of the late 13th century, located here on Barborská Street.
Initially, the Hradek fortress (“Hrádek”, No. 4 on the map), that is, the “Little Castle”, was part of the fortifications of Kutna Hora, but at the end of the 15th century it was rebuilt and got its modern look in the style of the Late Gothic castle palace. The owner of the palace, who got rich on the illegal mining of silver, mined and smelted it in the mines directly under the castle.
The museum of silver presents an exposition illustrating the history of the city during the “silver” prosperity of Kutna Hora. The exhibition contains exhibits demonstrating the processes of silver mining, including a huge wooden device that can lift loads weighing more than 1000 kg from a depth of 200 m. Also in the silver museum there is an opportunity to put on a miner's helmet, go down to the castle and explore medieval silver mine under the city.
Church of St. Jacob in Kutna Hora
Continuing your walk along Kutna Hora, after visiting Hradek Castle, turn onto the small but very picturesque Ruthardská Street, along it you will reach the next attraction of the city - St. Jakub's Church (Kostel svatého Jakuba, No. 5 on the map).
The construction of this temple was started in the first half of the 14th century and the Church of St. Jakub became the first stone church of Kutna Hora. According to the original design, the large Gothic church was supposed to become a two-tower, however, due to the location above the silver mines and the instability of the soil under the temple, only one tower was erected. The unusual height of the only tower caused the second name of the temple to appear, until the 17th century the Church of St. Jacob in Kutna Hora was often called the High Church or the High Cathedral.
The lonely tower of the Church of St. Jacob
Gothic choral benches of the end of the 15th century are preserved in the temple, but most of the interior of the church dates from the end of the 17th century, including the Baroque confessional and the altar. The Church of St. Jakub in Kutna Hora also boasts two rare Baroque organs. Today, the church holds regular services and concerts.
The next attraction of Kutna Hora is a few steps from the Church of St. Jakub - this is the Vlašsky or Italian Courtyard (Vlašský dvůr, No. 6 on the map).
Vlachsky Yard is a castle built at the end of the 13th century and well fortified, which was originally used as a depository of silver in Kutna Hora. But at the beginning of the 14th century, as part of the monetary reform carried out by King Wenceslas II and having closed mints throughout the Czech kingdom, the Central Prague Mint was opened in the Vlašská Courtyard. It was here that new silver coins were minted - the Prague penny, which became one of the strongest European currencies of that time. The castle began to be called the Italian court in honor of the Florentine financiers invited by Vaclav II to carry out this monetary reform.
The courtyard of the royal residence in Kutna Hora
For several centuries, during the time of the wealth and glory of Kutna Hora, the Vlašsky Dvor was the center of the economic power of the Czech state. At the beginning of the 15th century, it became the favorite residence of King Wenceslas IV, and King Vladislav II Jagiellon, chosen here, made the Vlašsky Dvor the place of his permanent residence, and Kutnu Gora - the royal city.
Currently, the Vlašsky Courtyard is one of the most visited tourist sites of Kutna Hora, the Royal Mint Museum is located here, and you can also visit some of the most interesting parts of the castle - the royal chapel and the audience hall.
Plague pillar, or plague column in Kutna Hora
Continuing the study of Kutna Hora, it is impossible to miss the baroque pearl of the city - the Plague Column (Morový sloup, No. 7 on the map), established in the early 18th century. This is a monument to the thousands who died during the plague epidemic that struck Kutnu Gora in 1713, a statue of the Virgin Mary was installed on top of the column in gratitude for getting rid of the plague.
Church of St. John of Nepomuk in Kutna Hora
From the Stone House, take a walk along Lierovou Street to the baroque Church of St. John of Nepomuk (Kostel svatého Jana Nepomuckého, No. 9 on the map). This is the only baroque temple in Kutna Hora.
By decision of the city council, the construction of the temple in connection with the celebration of the canonization of Jan Nepomuk was started in the middle of the 18th century. The church was built by the famous architect F.M. Kanka, who worked in Kutna Hora at the invitation of the Jesuit Order. During the large-scale reconstruction of the Church of St. John of Nepomuk at the end of the 20th century, the luxurious interior in the Rococo and Baroque styles was restored, the main idea of which was the celebration and glorification of the patron saints of Czech lands, frescoes illustrating the legend of St. John of Nepomuk and church furniture were also restored.
The interior of the Church of St. John of Nepomuk
An unusual phenomenon can be observed in this church in May and June. The sun's rays penetrating through the red stained-glass window very brightly illuminate the image of the saint and give the impression that his heart is bleeding. This unique phenomenon is best manifested on the eve of the feast of St. John of Nepomuk.
After reconstruction, in addition to divine services, concerts and exhibitions are held in this temple of Kutna Hora.
From the Church of St. John of Nepomuk, another attraction of Kutna Hora is visible - the Stone Fountain (Kamenná kašna, No. 10 on the map).
The Late Gothic Stone Fountain was built at the end of the 15th century according to the project of the famous architect Matthias Reisek, who took part in the construction of St. Barbara's Cathedral in Kutna Hora. The fountain is interesting not only from the point of view of art history, but also as a technical monument, because it was part of the city’s medieval water supply system. Water came to him through wooden pipes, and the fountain itself was closed by a roof and served as a reservoir for water, feeding other public fountains of Kutna Hora. Also, two private branches of water supply were laid from the Stone Fountain: one in Hradec for the needs of the family of the wealthy owner of the Little Castle, and the other, called “spray of water for the king,” into the Vlašsky Dvor.
The stone fountain was a source of drinking water for citizens until the end of the 19th century, now it is one of the symbols of Kutna Hora.
Stone fountain in the evening
At the Stone Fountain, you can end your self-guided tour of Kutna Hora, but perhaps the impression of this silver city will be incomplete if you do not visit another, perhaps the most famous attraction of Kutna Hora - the world famous Kostnica in Siedlice.
The main tourist information center of Kutna Hora is located in one of the historical buildings on Palacky Square at the address: 377/5 Palackého náměstí. Here you will be provided with information about the historical sites of the city, cultural events, prompted how to get to where you need and where better to eat, in addition to the information center you can buy cards, tickets cards and souvenirs.
Additional information centers are located at the main train station of Kutna Hora and near St. Barbara's Cathedral.