Yaroslavl Cathedral Mosque


Yaroslavl - A large city with a population of about 600 thousand people, the center of the Yaroslavl region. The historic city center, located at the confluence of the Volga and Kotorosli rivers, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Yaroslavl has a rich history, stood at the origins of Russian statehood, and recently celebrated its millennium.

The city is considered the center of the Golden Ring, is included in all tourist routes. The number of architectural monuments of the XVI-XVIII centuries is not calculable. It also houses one of the best zoos in the country. Pilgrims are attracted by the Tolgsky monastery with a miraculous icon. An interesting museum in the former Transfiguration Monastery, on the territory of which the "Word of Igor's Campaign" was found.

In recent years, Yaroslavl has been actively restored, buildings are restored to their former shine, parks and pedestrian zones are being equipped.

For any copying of material to a third-party resource, an active link to the site is required! If the text contains links to other sources, you must also indicate them.

Links are checked regularly.

Copying large volumes of information is possible only after agreement with the administration.

How to get there

Buses: 3, 11. To the stop "Karl Marx Square". Then walk along the avenue of October to the street. Victory And left to the mosque. On foot for about 9 minutes.

Buses: 1, 99. To the stop "October Square". Then walk along the street. Victory to the mosque. On foot for about 6 minutes.

Bus 33. Minibuses: 47, 71, 91, 94, 97. To the stop "Victory street".

Bus 2. Trolleybus 9. To the stop "cinema Rodina".

Buses: 94. To a stop "Victory Street". Then walk along the street. Victory to the mosque. On foot for about 3 minutes.

Yaroslavl Cathedral Mosque is the center of Muslim religious life in the city of Yaroslavl. Located on Victory Street, near October Square.

The construction of the mosque was conducted from 1910 to 1914. at the initiative of the Tatar community of the city. Type of mosque - Juma mosque. Authors of the project: architects Vakhrameev V.N., Sarenko G.V.

In 2008-2009 the mosque was reconstructed with funds from the fund named after Akhmad Kadyrov. During this period, the mosque has its own library and madrassas.


The mosque was built on the initiative and at the expense of the Tatar community of Yaroslavl. Building permission was obtained in April 1907. In the spring of 1910, a hall was opened for the collective prayer of Muslims. This year is considered the birth year of the Yaroslavl Cathedral Mosque. In 1931, the mosque was adapted for the needs of the city; a school for hearing-impaired children was located here. In 1992, the mosque was returned to the Muslim community.

In September 2006, two attackers tried to set fire to the mosque, both were detained and apologized publicly.

In 2008-2009, with the funds of the Akhmat Kadyrov Foundation (about 39 million rubles spent), the building was reconstructed: the foundation was strengthened, the walls were re-built, the area was increased by almost one and a half times, a library and a meeting room appeared. An additional territory was allocated for the mosque, on which several buildings are located, including the "Arab Gallery" and madrassas.


The first imam of the mosque was Nizhny Novgorod Mahmud Yusupov. The last imam is Magomedkarimov Muhammad.

Photo and description

Cathedral Mosque is located in Yaroslavl, on Victory Street. The Yaroslavl mosque is a Muslim temple, which was built with funds from the Yaroslavl Tatar community. The mosque was opened in 1910. This year is considered the starting point in the history of the cathedral mosque of Yaroslavl.

The formation of the Muslim community in Yaroslavl dates back to 1563, when, at the behest of Ivan the Terrible, Romanovsky County was settled by immigrants from the Tatars. Their position was protected by royal letters, as well as his testament, where Ivan the Terrible noted that Romanov should be owned by Tatar Murza until they “leave or are harassed”. The total number of Tatar migrants was 1.5 thousand people. This land was listed behind them for two centuries.

The end of the 18th and 19th centuries was a period of consolidation within the Muslim community. Muslims who have been living here for a long time were support for migrants coming to the Yaroslavl province who were relatives, countrymen, or simply co-religionists from the Tatar regions of the state. According to statistics, by the mid-19th century, the number of Muslims living in the province was 1066 people.

From the second half of the 19th century, the Volga-Ural Tatars reached Yaroslavl. Wealthy Muslims came to Yaroslavl and opened their shops, shops, workshops, or carriage artels here; those who served their wealthier co-religionists more clerically. In Yaroslavl, the offices of trading companies of famous Muslim merchants functioned, including the branch of Shamsi Asadullayev, a wealthy oil producer. As Yaroslavl turned into a large industrial center, Tatars from working people who worked at the Vakhrameev and Dunaev tobacco factories, at the Big Yaroslavl manufactory, and also worked as watchmen in princely and noble estates of Russified descendants of the Tatar nobility - the Yusupovs, Urusevs, settled here settled here.

In 1877, at the request of Muslims, a plot for a Muslim cemetery was allocated in the territory of the city cemetery.

And in 1910 a mosque was erected by the Tatar community. Construction supervision was carried out by city architect V.N. Wahrameev. In 1915, the Mohammedan society of Yaroslavl petitioned the Construction Department of the provincial government for permission to attach a minaret to the mosque. Construction supervision of the work was carried out by the architect G.V. Sarenko.

The first imam of the mosque was Mahmud Yusupov. In February 1917, the number of members of the Muslim community was 2.3 thousand people. An elementary school (maktab), a printing house and a library worked at the mosque. In 1931, the mosque was closed, and the building was transferred to the city executive committee for demolition. But the mosque building was adapted for urban needs, a school for hearing-impaired children was located here. The City Council dismantled only the minaret.

The mosque was returned to the community in 1992. In September 2006, two attackers attempted to set fire to a mosque. But they were detained, and they publicly apologized. On May 16, 2007, the cathedral mosque in Yaroslavl was visited by Ramzan Kadyrov, president of the Chechen Republic. He took upon himself the financing of all restoration work in the mosque. In 2008, the work was completed: the foundation was strengthened, the walls were re-built, the mosque area was increased almost 1.5 times.

As a result, a whole complex of buildings was formed on the territory of the mosque: a three-story mosque, where prayer rooms were located separately for men and women, a meeting room for the Muslim Council, a library, an imam’s office, an archive room, a two-story madrasah building, which also has a maktab - an Islamic primary school education, gallery, including a halal products store, a bathhouse with rooms separately for men and women. Conduct in the mosque: ordinary prayers, Tarawih, Juma.

Today in Yaroslavl, there are about 100 thousand Muslims. In Yaroslavl there are three cemeteries, each of which has a Muslim sector.