Sights of Šiauliai


The calm, quiet and homely town of Šiauliai is located in the north of Lithuania. In terms of population, it is the fourth in the country. The city of Šiauliai in Lithuania appeared a hundred years earlier than Vilnius, it is a year older than the German capital - Berlin - and only a year younger than Tehran. The history of the city has 770 years.

The city of Šiauliai in Lithuania is the administrative center of the district of the same name. It is separated by 214 kilometers from Vilnius, 142 kilometers from Kaunas, and 161 kilometers from Klaipeda. The major cities of the country from Šiauliai can be reached by bus or rail.

Lithuania, Šiauliai: climatic conditions

The climate in the city is considered transitional from maritime to continental. It is characterized by cool summers with heavy rainfall and rather mild winters. The weather in Šiauliai (Lithuania) is unstable, and a windless day is a rarity here. In July, the air warms up to +25 ° C, the average January temperature is not lower than -1 ° C.

Lithuania, Šiauliai: attractions. Peter and Paul Cathedral

The history of the appearance of the Cathedral of Peter and Paul has two versions. According to one, it was erected in the period from 1617 to 1637, on the other - a different date: between 1594 and 1625. Be that as it may, this ancient structure has retained its original appearance to our days, despite the fire of 1880, serious damage during the war with fascist Germany.

The cathedral in Soviet times was restored and since then is one of the most popular attractions. Among other churches and temples in Lithuania, the cathedral is distinguished by the presence of bay windows, which indicate that the structure also had a defensive function.

In the temple is an ancient organ (XVIII century), which was transferred here from the Church of the Holy Trinity (Kaunass). And on the seventy-meter tower of the cathedral, as in antiquity, the sundial shows the exact time, despite their "advanced" age.

All city roads led to this temple: here, on Resurrection Square, craftsmen and merchants gathered, noisy fairs and bazaars were organized. And today, on the street in front of the cathedral, townspeople and city guests make appointments, city holidays are held.

Franciscan Monastery

In 2000, a Franciscan monastery was built in this Lithuanian city. His appearance was initiated by Pope Paul II. For the construction, a place was chosen near the Mountain of Crosses.

Returning to his homeland after visiting Lithuania, the pope notified the monks of the Franciscan monastery, which is located on Mount La Verna (Italy), that he had visited the Hill of Crosses. At the end of the visit, it was decided to establish a monastery in Lithuania. In 1997, the model of the future structure was approved and consecrated, the first stone in the foundation of the building was laid in 1998.

The monastery building is made of red brick, a cross crowns its roof. In the courtyard you can see the sculpture of a praying monk, and the interior is decorated with icons. Today in the monastery everyone can buy a pectoral cross and consecrate it.

Mountain of Crosses

One of the most unusual sights of the city of Šiauliai in Lithuania. This is a local shrine and a place of pilgrimage. It is located twelve kilometers north of the city and is a small hill covered with established crosses. According to rough estimates, their number exceeds fifty thousand.

The causes of this city attraction are not known for certain. Researchers find it difficult to name the date of its appearance in the city: some attribute it to 1831, others are sure that it appeared much earlier. According to popular belief, everyone who erects a cross on a mountain will find happiness, and luck will never turn away from him.

Crosses here are very different - huge, several meters tall crucifixes and ordinary body crosses dug in the ground. One crucifix was established here by Paul II during his visit to the country. This event had a great resonance, and a huge number of tourists rushed to the hill.

In the twentieth century, Soviet officials tried several times to destroy the Mountain, but immediately after the next bulldozers mopping up the hill, crucifixes appeared again at this place.

Pedestrian street Vilnius

Like many modern cities, Šiauliai in Lithuania has a pedestrian street, but not everyone knows that it was in this city that it appeared first in the USSR. Its length is about five kilometers, and the pedestrian part of Vilnius Street is located between Zhamytes Street and Draugistes Avenue. Citizens call this part Šiauliai Boulevard.

In 1975, traffic was completely stopped on this site. Today, there are many cozy cafes and restaurants, shops and art galleries. It also housed several museums: bicycles, photographs, etc. The street is decorated with numerous fountains and sculptural compositions. At the beginning of the XXI century, the pedestrian street became the tourist center of the city. House No. 213 now houses a tourist information center.

Museum of Radio and Television

Šiauliai in Lithuania, the photo of which you can see in this article, is a city in which ancient structures and modern buildings harmoniously combine. It is built in the same style, which undoubtedly adds to it a special charm.

The Museum of Television and Radio appeared in this city for a reason. It was in Šiauliai in 1925 that the country's first radio laboratory appeared. It was founded by Stasis Braziskis, who assembled the first Lithuanian television and radio. At the initiative of local radio engineers, a museum (1982) appeared in Šiauliai, which is completely dedicated to the development of radio and television.

Today it is part of the Aushra art project. Here are radios from different times and from different countries, televisions, ancient mechanical devices used to reproduce sound. The museum adjoins computer technology and gramophones, as well as many other interesting equipment.

Museum staff creates their own traditions. So, since 1995, competitions have been held here every year among young radio enthusiasts for the best invention. Schoolchildren can listen to a course of lectures on the history of radio, compare current equipment with the first devices.

Villa Chaim Frenkel

A magnificent architectural monument from the beginning of the 20th century is included in almost all sightseeing tours in the city of Šiauliai in Lithuania. The building was built in 1908 in the Art Nouveau style for the owner of the leather factory H. Frenkel. The first years the owner’s family lived here, and in the twenties of the last century, a Jewish gymnasium was established here, which worked for nearly twenty years.

During the Second World War, a German hospital was located here, and after its completion - a Soviet hospital. Since 1994, a museum has been operating in this building, where you can view two exhibits. In 2003, the exposition "Provincial estate" was created, dedicated to provincial life at the turn of the XIX-XX centuries. In the second part of the museum are documents and exhibits highlighting the cultural heritage of the Jewish people in Šiauliai.

The complex consists of three exhibition halls, two living rooms and a library. The villa is a paired architectural composition: it seems that it consists of two identical houses. In the interior of the villa you can take a walk in a beautiful park and enjoy the fountain with a swimming pool.

Mountain of crosses

Half an hour from the city of Šiauliai is one of the most famous sights of Lithuania, which is called Mount of Crosses. The very first historical records of this amazing place date back to the 16th century. About how the first cross was erected on the mountain, there are more than a dozen. read more

RUTA Confectionery

A confectionery factory called RUTA appeared in Šiauliai in 1913. It was then that the enterprising city dweller Antanas Gricevicius decided to equip a boiler in a tiny room where caramel was to be made. The master was trained in confectionery not only in Lithuania, but also in Russia. Such. read more

Siauliai Cat Museum

One of the most popular museums in Lithuania is the original cat museum. Imagine, only at this exposition you can learn hundreds of interesting facts from the life of these graceful and gentle predators. A fascinating exhibition, which children especially love to attend, was opened in Šiauliai in 1990. read more

Sundial area

The city of Šiauliai built an original sundial for the anniversary of the city, a competition for the construction of which was announced in 1981 on the eve of the city’s 750th birthday. The winners were announced by three Lithuanian architects - R. Jurela, A. Chernyauskas, A. Vishnyunas. The main place on. read more

Peter and Paul Church of Siauliai

The Orthodox Cathedral, consecrated in honor of Peter and Paul, has two birthdays. It was founded in 1867, and the laying of the first stone took place at the intersection of the trading square and the city boulevard. Initially, the church was cruciform, and it was crowned with five domes and a bell tower. Outside the facade was. read more

Villa Jaime Frenkel

In 1908, Jaime Frenkel, who owned a leather goods factory, decided to build a villa. It was originally supposed that the villa would be a real family nest, and the family of the founder of the estate lived here for many years. But in 1920, a small Jewish one appeared on the territory of the villa. read more

Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul

All city roads of Šiauliai invariably lead to the main cathedral of the city, dedicated to the holy apostles - Peter and Paul. The significance of this place in urban life is evidenced even by the fact that it is on the square in front of the temple that dates and business meetings are scheduled. Many years ago on. read more

Siauliai is the owner of a rich and long history. Here the battle of the Baltic tribes and the Order of the Swordsmen took place. Some historians claim that the city originated in the 1st century A.D. Today's Šiauliai is colorful and picturesque: beautiful churches, rich mansions, rare museum collections. Despite the difficulties Siauliai experienced, the city is growing and developing.

The main city street is Vilnius. It is intended for pedestrians only. Museums, shops, bars and restaurants and other cultural institutions focused on it. Here is the most popular attraction - the main square.

The status of a beautiful architectural monument belongs to the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul. On the tiled roof stands a refined bell tower made of white stone.

The tourists consider the Hill of Crosses the most interesting attraction. Here, on a low hill, there are many different crosses. The first cross was installed in the 30s of the XIX century.

City of Šiauliai

Šiauliai - The fourth largest city in the Baltic countries, the unofficial capital of Northern Lithuania, was founded in the 13th century and has experienced many shocks since then. In the XVIII century. after the brutal suppression of the peasant uprising, the city was rebuilt in the spirit of classicism. Following the partition of Poland in the 1800s. Siauliai quickly grew and turned into an industrial and cultural center.

During the First World War, the city was badly damaged. Soon gained independence, Lithuania tried to restore it, however, during the Second World War, the city suffered new destruction.


One of the most touching places that you should definitely visit is the Mountain of Crosses north of Šiauliai. The hill first became known at the beginning of the XIX century. as a place of pilgrimage for Catholics, and for many years they left thousands of crosses, crucifixes, statues and statuettes of the Virgin Mary, the rosary and other religious attributes. The Mountain of Crosses for Lithuanians is of genuine national importance now.

Very little has been preserved from the old Šiauliai, although the layout of the city of the 18th century is still visible. Most of the buildings were built after the Second World War, so from the point of view of architecture they do not represent anything interesting. One of the surviving examples of early buildings is the cathedral Pyatro ir Povilo (St. Peter and Paul), built in the early 1600s. on the site of a wooden church. Another interesting building is the city hall, which actually consists of two connected buildings.

The main place in the economy of the city is occupied by leather processing, as well as the production of products and drinks that are exported to Western Europe. One of the main events that changed the face of the city is the transformation of Vilnius street into a pedestrian zone. This happened in the mid-70s. For that time, such a solution was very innovative and immediately aroused increased interest both in the country and abroad. Today the streets are paved again. Vilnius street is one of the most beautiful boulevards in Lithuania. With its shops, restaurants and cafes, it resembles Laisves Alley in Kaunas. In general, the city makes a very good impression. There are many modern shops and cafes, as well as excellent hotels. In addition, there are many unusual museums in Šiauliai.

Bicycle Museum (Dviraciu Muziejus)

Like the City Museum of Radio and Television, the Bicycle Museum relies on one of the main branches of local industry. The museum was created on the basis of the Šiauliai Vairas Bicycle Plant. The exposition totals 259 exhibits, and 73 - operating.

Vilniaus, 139. Tel .: (41) 52-43-95. Open: from July to September Wed — Fri 10.00-18.00, Sat – Sun 11.00-17.00, October to June Tue – Fri 10.00-18.00, Sat 11.00-17.00. Paid entrance.

Tytuvenai Regional Park

About 40 km south of Šiauliai is the regional park Tituvenai. Before the war, famous people of the country rested here. Today, the main attraction of the park are two Catholic centers - Tituvenai and Šiluva. The area of ​​the park is over 10 571 ha. 56% of the territory is covered by forests. Local swamps attract birds here. If you like to watch birds, be sure to visit this park. For tourists in the park there are special observation towers from which it is very convenient to conduct observation without disturbing birds. There are many lakes in the park - this is an ideal place for fishing. You can rent a boat. Some centers even offer pedal boats.

The famous Chapel of Tituvena is one of the five places in Europe where the appearance of the Virgin Mary took place. The Chapel of Our Lady is a pilgrimage center. Pilgrims come here on the first Sunday of September. On this day, thousands of pilgrims make their way from Tituvenai to Šiluva. Tituvenai Regional Park: Miskininku, 3, Tytuvenai. Phone: (97) 56-651,

What to see

The symbol of Šauliai is the “Golden Archer”, standing on a column near the cathedral. Performances of the world-famous state chamber choir "Polyphony". For hundreds of years, Prisicelimo Square has hosted city fairs, markets and trade events. The old city cemetery near Lake Talsa - peace and history. Saules Lycrogio Square with its wonderful sundial created in 1981.

Interesting places Šiauliai

The site contains Siauliai attractions - photos, descriptions and travel tips. The list is based on popular guides and is presented by type, name and rating. Here you will find answers to questions: what to see in Šiauliai, where to go and where are the popular and interesting places of Šiauliai.

Museum of Photography

The Museum of Photography was opened in 1973 in the building of the Au & scaron ros museum, founded in honor of the 40th anniversary of the creation of the first Lithuanian newspaper Ausra. This is a huge art center, in which several different museums coexist. At the expositions demonstrating various types of cameras - from the oldest to the most modern, one can find very rare and curious specimens.

In addition, the museum organizers presented various photographic devices that were used by photographers even before the invention of the compact camera. All exhibits of the museum in the past were workhorses, well-known Lithuanian photographers worked with them. Here films are shown telling about the history of photography and other films that may become interesting not only to those who have a camera - a professional tool.

At the photo exhibition you can get acquainted with the works of famous Lithuanian photo artists: Jurašaitis, Baulas, Karpavičius and others.

Unfortunately, until 2013 the museum is closed for reconstruction.

In photo mode, you can view the attractions in Šiauliai only by photos.

Museum "Baublis" "Lithuania" Bietay

The Baublis Museum, which is located in the Lithuanian village of Bietai, is the smallest museum in the world. The museum is located in the hollow of an old oak, and officially exists since 1812. Its creator, the Lithuanian writer Dionizas Poska, hollowed out a room with a diameter of 1.9 - 2 meters in the trunk of a sawn thousand-year-old oak, which has a girth of 9.2 meters.

However, not only the tiny size of the museum and its unusual location attract visitors' interest. It contains valuable archaeological finds, mammoth bones, ancient weapons, knightly shells, a collection of ancient coins, a whole library of 200 books and much more. On the walls of Dionizas Poska hung portraits of scientists, philosophers and poets. The name was given to the museum by the oak in which it was located. Local residents have long called the tree until it was burned, after which it had to be cut. This museum has become the first museum of local lore in Lithuania, which has been actively visited by tourists since its inception to the present day. At one time, the museum was immortalized in the poem “Pan Tadeusz” by Adam Mickiewicz. Part of the museum’s collection died during the First World War. But what has survived is still exhibited in the Baublis, on which caring restorers put on a glass triangular “cloak” so that the trunk does not damp.

There is a school near the museum, each of whose students will gladly show you a picturesque pond, old apple trees planted by Dionizas Poshka, the graves of his ancestors, and an old park. And at the bottom of the overgrown ravine, still, as in ancient times, the murmur of the Pela stream murmurs.

Šiauliai Drama Theater

The first performance, which in September 1931, was played by the Šiauliai Drama Theater troupe became "Princess Turandot" staged by Boris Dauguvetis. At that time, the theater was considered part of the State Theater of Kaunas, and since the summer of 1935 he moved to Klaipeda and became part of the State Theater of Klaipeda. However, after four years, the theater returns to Šiauliai and soon gets its current name.

And “Princess Turandot” has been waiting for its second season for almost 75 years. During this time, the theater managed to stage more than four hundred performances, more than a dozen leaders have changed, among them Joseph Stein, Marmetas Karklyays. V.V. Landsbergis and others.

The theater’s repertoire includes 26 performances, seven of which are productions for small spectators. Children are expected every Sunday at noon; on other Sunday and Saturday, adult performances are played. For a season, the theater offers, on average, 4-6 premieres. The premiere of this season was the production of "Doors" based on the works of Virgil.

From the stage of the Šiauliai Drama Theater sounded "Three Sisters" by Chekhov, "Joseph" by Yaroslav Gashek, "Mean" by Jean-Baptiste Moliere, "Three Friends" by Erich Maria Remarque and other masterpieces of world literature ..

The theater troupe, consisting of 28 actors, often tours and takes part in international festivals.

Siauliai University History Museum

Siauliai University History Museum is located in Siauliai, Lithuania. This is one of the most interesting museums, which is completely devoted to the history of this ancient city, which appeared in the first millennium AD.

Siauliai is the fourth most populated city in the country, one of the oldest cities in Lithuania. The rich history of the city is reflected in its many attractions, perfectly preserved to this day. And the oldest period in the history of Šiauliai can be found in the Museum of History of Šiauliai University. The museum exposition tells about the first human settlements on the territory of Šiauliai. The formation of the city dates back presumably to the 11th century AD. The museum presents the first mention of the city, manuscripts, plans and maps.

More ancient exhibits include household items, weapons found in archaeological sites. The history of the city is reflected in the museum’s exposition - from ancient times to our days. The museum was created at Šiauliai University, and students of the Faculty of History are studying at its base. Visitors can visit the museum.

The most popular attractions in Šiauliai with descriptions and photos for every taste. Choose the best places to visit the famous places of Šiauliai on our website.

Top Attractions (120)

The water park in Druskininkai is a modern entertainment complex with an area of ​​25,000 sq.m. At the same time, it can take up to 1,500 people. The air temperature in the water park premises is 30-31 ° C, and the water temperature in the pools is 26-27 ° C.

The Devils Museum is located in the center of Kaunas. This museum is the only one in the world. He appeared in 1966 on the basis of the personal collection of the artist Antanas Zhmujdzinavichyus (1876-1966), which collected devils, witches, goblin and other fabulous creatures.

Kaunas Castle is an ancient stone castle in Lithuania. The first mention of the castle can be found in the historical written document Wiegand von Marburg "Chronicle of the Land of Prussia" in 1361. Currently, the castle is located in the Old Town.

It is safe to say that Memel Castle is the only order castle located on the territory of Lithuania, which the Order kept with itself for quite some time.

In the very center of the historical part of Vilnius there is a wonderful temple, known for its amazing history - this is the church of St. Anne. The temple was built in 1394 near the Bernardine church and was originally completely wooden.

Lishkiava - a small old town (now a village) is located in the south of Lithuania, in the picturesque Varensky district, on the left bank of the Neman River, 9 kilometers from the city of Druskininkai. Belongs to Merkinesky elder.

Amber is the only gem mined in Lithuania. Baltic amber is also called Lithuanian gold. It is widely known and appreciated all over the world, not to mention Lithuania itself.

The famous sculpture and recreation park is located 3 kilometers from the city of Druskininkai in the village of Naujasodes, on the territory of the estate of Antanas Cesnulis. The park is a unique exhibition of sculptures carved from wood by the national artist Antanas Cesnulis.

The Church of All Saints is one of the valuable examples of reckless baroque temples belonging to the Roman Catholic concession. It is part of the ensemble of novitiate (a place for novices) and the Carmelite monastery in the old city.

Grutas Park, or Gruto, is one of the most famous museums in Lithuania, located near the city of Druskininkai. In the West, this place is known as Leninland or Stalinworld.

From the Lithuanian language the name of the gate of Aushros is translated as “the gate of the dawn”. This gate is considered one of the most important attractions and a symbol of the city of Vilnius. Ausros is the most famous in Lithuania, as well as abroad, the shrine of the Catholic religion.

The Lithuanian Maritime Museum in Klaipeda is considered the most popular city attraction. The museum is so popular due to several reasons. The museum exposition is presented at the northern end of the Curonian Spit.

Uzupis is a small and cozy isolated quarter of Vilnius. Translated from Lithuanian, “uhupis” means “district”. Often it is compared with Montmartre, located in Paris. One part of the city quarter is located in the Old Town, the other part of the city is surrounded by steep hills and the Mountain of Three Crosses, and on the third side there is an industrial zone, built back in Soviet times.

Sventoji is the name of one of the oldest fishing villages and rivers in Lithuania. It is generally accepted that the city of Palanga leads its development from here. As a result of archaeological excavations conducted on the territory of the town, it was possible to find one of the oldest settlements, as well as household items, whose age reaches about 5 thousand.

Basanavičius street is one of the most popular tourist destinations for leisure and pastime. This is a lively and fun place in Palanga. The street was named after the Lithuanian historian, publicist, folklorist and public figure Jonas Basanavičius.

The Hill of Crosses is one of the attractions of Šiauliai. About 12 kilometers from the city near the village of Jurgiaichiai is located this famous place and a historical monument in all of Lithuania.

Not far from the city of Druskininkai, in the south of Lithuania, is the Dzukij National Park, founded in 1991. It was created to preserve the natural landscape, pine forests and villages of the region.

UAB RUTA is the oldest Lithuanian company, which specializes in the production of sweets of various grades, shapes and tastes. The historical development of the factory began in 1913 in the city of Šiauliai. It was at this time that Antanas Gricevicius equipped a caramel boiler in a small room.

Palanga has a lot of attractions. One of the most favorite and popular places among foreign tourists is the Amber Museum. In addition, the museum is one of the branches of the Art Museum of Lithuania.

In the southern part of Vilnius Old Town, there is an ancient monument of architecture in the early Baroque style, the parish Roman Catholic Church of St. Theresa. It is located near the Ostrobramnaya Chapel and the only city gate preserved in the city.