Petrozavodsk (station)


Petrozavodsk railway station is a station with a rich history, it is the main gate of the ancient city founded by Peter I.

Petrozavodsk station has five tracks and three platforms, of which two are island and one is lateral.

The station has its own unique facade both from the platform and from the forecourt. The station's waiting room is open around the clock. Lenin Avenue connects Petrozavodsk railway station with a three-star hotel in Petrozavodsk - the Prionezhsky hotel.

The railway station of Petrozavodsk is the central building on Gagarin Square, is an architectural monument of regional significance and is considered to be a symbol of the city.


A modern train station with a seventeen-meter spire was opened in March 1955. The station consists of five tracks. There are three passenger platforms: one lateral and two island. Access to the first platform is from the second floor of the station, and also by stairs from the station square (Gagarin Square), to the second - from the first floor of the station through a pedestrian tunnel, to the third - through the "northern crossing" from the first platform. The free-standing cash register building is located on the first platform. A pedestrian bridge passes through the station tracks.

At the station there is a steam locomotive-monument E r −738-47 (built in 1935), which until 1987 worked at the Petrozavodsk branch, and during the war led trains to the besieged Leningrad.

The “Federal target program for the development of Karelia until 2020” provides for the reconstruction of the station complex - the modernization of the station building, ticket and baggage center, the first platform, a pedestrian tunnel and the arrangement of two inspection pavilions. The reconstruction is planned to be completed in the third quarter of 2019, the amount of financing for the reconstruction project is about 800 million rubles.

Architectural monument. Built in 1953-55 by the project of architect V.P. Tsipulin in the traditions of late neoclassicism. It gives a compositional beginning to Lenin Avenue, which is the main functional axis of the city center, and dominates the ensemble of Gagarin Square. The building is an integral symmetrical-axial composition (body length 82 m). Located at an angle to the station tracks.

The location of the railway station on the elevation with a significant difference in the levels of the forecourt and the apron made it possible to get away from the disadvantages inherent in the enfilade reception of the layout, to separate the operating room area and the waiting area by levels. The core of the railway station is a two-room hall connected on the ground floor with ticket offices, office space, a tunnel leading to the platforms, on the second floor - with a restaurant and a waiting room. The overlapping of the second floor is based on architrave columns located at the balcony railing.

The main thing in the composition is the central three-story volume with a monumental four-column buried portico. The round belvedere above it is completed by an octagonal turret crowned with a spire. The central risalit is a kind of portal - the gates of the city, and the lateral risalits resemble the guard rooms - guardrooms, characteristic for making entries to the cities of the classicism of the 18-19 centuries. The building is richly decorated with stucco and has a developed Corinthian order. In 1979, a baggage and cash center (architect E.V. Voskresensky) was built near the station, with a main entrance from the platform.

Photo and description

One of the most important symbols of the city of Petrozavodsk, as well as its main gate, is the railway station. From the beginning of construction (1916) and until the beginning of World War II, the station building was two kilometers from the central part of the city, namely, in the area of ​​the current Pervomaisky Avenue. When the occupation of the city ended in 1946, the city of Petrozavodsk almost completely turned into ruins. It was at this time that the opportunity appeared to redo the architectural map of the city. The first with the idea of ​​moving the station to the central part of the city was Dmitry Maslennikov, an architect who headed the department of architecture of the Karelian-Finnish SSR in those years.

Already in 1946, the republican government approved a new plan for the construction of the station. Soon, work began on the implementation of the new plan, the transfer, as well as the reorganization of the paths. In addition, demolished old warehouses located on the site of the planned station. By 1955, a train station was built in the city. Its author was an architect from Leningrad V. Tsipulin. The terrain required a rather original author’s solution, and for this reason the station has its own unique facade not only from the platform, but also from the forecourt.

During Nikita Khrushchev’s tenure in power, reforms, and especially the struggle against all sorts of excesses, even affected architecture. The spire became just such an excess. It only helped that the decree was issued very late, and the spire had already been prepared, and there was nowhere to put it. The new station building fit perfectly into the architecture of Petrozavodsk, changing the layout of the entire city for the better. Moreover, it turned out that the area located in front of Lake Onega became especially important from the point of view of urban development.

Until the station was built, the avenue was considered a street that has no beginning or end. After the station square brought compositional completion with its appearance, the avenue became truly the most central street of the city. Station square was built in the 1950s and later received the name of the square named after Yuri Gagarin.

The station building is an integral symmetrical-axial composition. Despite the fact that it has a large length, because the body is 82 meters long, it does not look monotonous at all. The placement of the railway complex allowed avoiding all the shortcomings that are inherent in enfilade reception, and dividing the area of ​​operating rooms, as well as the waiting area, by levels. The core of the railway station was a two-room hall, which is connected on the ground floor of the building with ticket offices, a tunnel and office space that lead to the platforms. On the second floor there are: a restaurant and a waiting room. The overlap of this floor is based on architrave columns located at the balcony railing.

The most important thing in the composition is a three-story central volume with a monumental four-column recessed portico. The round belvedere located above it has a completion in the form of an octagonal turret, which is crowned with a spire. The central risalit is a portal representing the gates of the city, the lateral risalits are similar to the cordegariya, which are guardrooms that are typical for the design of the entries of the classicism of the 18-19 centuries. The station building is luxuriously decorated with stucco, and also has a Corinthian developed order. In 1979, a baggage and cash center was added near the station under the direction of architect E.V. Voskresensky. This center has a main entrance on one side with the platform.

In March 1955, a meeting of workers took place on the forecourt, which was dedicated to the grand opening of the new station. On March 5, the first passenger train of the Petrozavodsk-Leningrad type departed from the train platform. On the same day, a train from Murmansk brought the first passengers to the Petrozavodsk railway station.