- July 29, 2018
- Darya dar
Each city is beautiful in its own way. But the older he is, the more attractions in him. Yelets is a city founded over eight centuries ago. On its streets, even those with a chain of modern chain stores and shopping centers, the spirit of antiquity is in the air. What to see in Yelets is described in this article.
A bit of history
According to legend, the city was founded by Yuri Ryazansky. In the early period of the history of Yelets there are many white spots. It is believed that this settlement in the 13th century was part of the Chernigov Principality. However, this is just an assumption.
In 1398, the city was taken by a detachment of a Turkic commander. Near the Ascension Cathedral, one of the main attractions of Yelets, there is a chapel. It is installed over the mass grave of the inhabitants of Yelets who died during the enemy invasion.
At the beginning of the 15th century the Tatars devastated the city. Residents fled to Ryazan. For a long time, Yelets was not mentioned in the documents. At the end of the 16th century, the construction of the fortress began here, at the same time - the settlement of the city, and mainly by service people.
In modern times, the basis of the economy of Yelets was the bread trade. A terrible blow to the inhabitants of the city was the fires that occurred in the 18th century. The worst happened in 1769. After part of the buildings in the city burned down, they began to rebuild it again according to the general plan. The attractions of Yelets include buildings erected in the time of Peter the Great.
This settlement has the status of a city of military glory. In early December 1941, German troops were on the outskirts of Yelets. The occupation lasted only a few days. During the two-week battles that took place on city streets, the invaders were expelled. In Yelets attractions, reminiscent of the events of the war years, a lot.
Brief information about the city
What to see in Yelets in one day? If time is short, you should visit the local history museum and the main temple of the city, which is described below. But in order to get to know this ancient Russian city closer, you will have to spend at least a week.
Yelets is located on the banks of the Bystraya Sosna River. It stands on limestone deposits - this geographical feature is not in the best way reflected in the quality of water. However, those who are interested in interesting places and sights of Yelets are unlikely to pay attention to such trifles. Original flavor, enchanting antiquity - this is how you can briefly characterize the atmosphere prevailing on the local streets.
Sights in Yelets are many, but among them - mainly churches and monasteries. There is something to see in the vicinity of the city. In the Yelets district of the Lipetsk region, several estates built in the 18-19 centuries have survived.
You can get to the city by train, bus. Future vacationers heading along the M4 towards the Krasnodar Territory will certainly pass Yelets. He stands apart, on the right side of the highway, and at night attracts the attention of travelers with bright lights.
Sights of the city of Yelets
In fairness, it is worth saying that not everyone is delighted with this city. Like other provincial settlements of Russia, he is not happy with the roads. But those who appreciate the beauty of ancient cities will be delighted.
Yelets attractions include:
- Ascension Cathedral.
- Temple of Our Lady of Elets.
- Grand Ducal Church.
- Znamensky monastery.
- Chapel in memory of Alexander II.
- Church of St. Michael the Archangel.
- Yelets jail.
- Church of the Transfiguration.
In addition, there are seven museums in Yelets. First of all, it is worth visiting, of course, the study of local lore. There is also a museum dedicated to the work of Ivan Bunin, a native of these places. The monument to the writer, by the way, was erected in the city square in 1995. In honor of Bunin, the main university of Yelets was named.
A tour of Yelets should begin with Red Square, where the main temple of the city is located. Here is a stele reminiscent of the exploits of local residents during the Great Patriotic War.
Ascension Cathedral was built in the late 18th century. But in its place there was a temple before. By the end of the 18th century, a small building could no longer accommodate all the parishioners, and therefore it was decided to build a new church.
The consecration of the cathedral, which is visited today by residents and guests of Yelets, took place in August 1889. After the revolution, the temple was not closed immediately - only after 18 years. Icons burned right in the walls of the cathedral. Golden utensils melted. For almost 10 years, the Orthodox church served as a granary. In the late forties, the Ascension Cathedral was returned to believers.
Red Square and surroundings
Literary critic Vladimir Turbin called Yelets "a wonderful, proud city that Russia does not dare to forget about." These words can be read on a commemorative plaque installed on one of the houses in the center - a few meters from the stele. Next to her, on Red Square, are three-meter figures of Russian princes.
In the cities of Russia, as you know, the name of the streets was often changed. Every time the power changed. But on the houses in the center of Yelets, you can see two tablets. For example, not far from Red Square is Oktyabrskaya Street. She is the Cathedral. So the administration of Yelets takes care of the preservation of the cultural and historical heritage of the city.
Grand Ducal Church
There are many churches in this city. Many of them were built with the money of the merchant Zasusailov. This man was either very pious, or sought to please the Grand Duke. After all, one of the temples erected on the donations of a wealthy Yelets merchant is the Grand-Ducal Church. This religious building, by the way, is the youngest in the city.
Mikhail Romanov visited Yelets in 1909. Here by that time there was a chapel erected in honor of his grandfather. Zasusailov ordered a project of the future church from a famous Oryol architect at that time. It took two years to build.
According to urban legend, the cross of the Grand Ducal Church survived in Soviet times thanks to the efforts of local residents. For many years he was kept in the house of one of them. And only in our time he was removed from the shelter.
In 1913, the construction of the charity house began. Also at the expense of the merchant Zasusailov. This architectural monument has been preserved. There are both the former shelter for the disadvantaged, and the Grand-Ducal Church on Sovetskaya Street.
The female monastery is located on Stone Mountain. It’s quite difficult to get here by car: there are many side streets and turns. In the center of Yelets, mostly narrow streets are found.
The monastery was built in 1629. During the time of Catherine the Great, it was abolished, like many other monasteries in Russia. Then it was opened again - restored with funds raised by the residents of Yelets.
After the revolution, the monastery, of course, was closed and plundered. Where he was, a working village was arranged. Restoration work began only in 2006. Most of the buildings have been restored, but construction continues.
This monastery must definitely be included in the tour of Yelets. It is located in a landscaped area. Around the temple in the summer - lush flower beds. Here, even a small artificial pond is arranged, in which fish of bizarre coloring live.
Church of the Transfiguration
Yelets city landscapes are a bit overshadowed by unreconstructed architectural monuments. The Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord, located near the Ascension Cathedral, was built in the 18th century. Restoration work dragged on for several years.
What to see in Yelets? Almost every building in the center is ancient architectural monuments here. So, the main building of the Bunin University is located in a building that before the Revolution belonged to the female gymnasium. Not far from the main building there is an old fire tower.
2. City clock tower
Located at the intersection of Sverdlov and Sovetskaya streets. The tower was erected in 1868, was used as a water pressure. Chimes installed on it in the 70s of the last century. The watch makes itself felt every 15 minutes. In the immediate vicinity of this attraction are: a monument to the artist Zhukov, the Grand-Ducal Church, the city park and the Karakumovsky pedestrian bridge.
3. Fire tower
Built on the initiative of the Valuysky brothers in 1865. The merchants recruited their own fire brigade from the workers of the factory they owned. They themselves participated in extinguishing urban fires. The case of Nikolai and Dmitry was continued by their descendants. Among other things, they replaced a wooden bowler with a brick one. It has an observation deck, and the building has a modern fire station.
4. Peace Street
It is a walking area of the city. It is interesting for its development - many of the buildings here are original and erected in different years. In the past it was a shopping street, although now there are many shops on it. In this case, the signs do not always coincide with the content of the shops. Blotches of old pavers are visible. On buildings you can see forged decorative details, such as lanterns. There are benches and green spaces.
7. Znamensky Nunnery
It was founded in 1683. Although in 1764 the monastery lost its status, the nuns did not leave it. After 5 years, the monastery burned down. The monastery turned into a hermit, the number of sisters increased. By decree of Alexander I, she was restored. The second closure happened after the revolution. Buildings fell into decay, so a resurgence in the noughties was not easy. Among other things, the Znamensky Cathedral was rebuilt.
8. Drama Theater "Benefis"
Formed in 1993. Then he occupied the building of the People’s House. The creator of the team was director Nazarov. He previously worked at the Alma-Ata Theater of the same name. His work was continued by associates and followers. The troupe's repertoire is diverse, some productions are highly appreciated by authoritative publications and theater awards. At the moment, “Benefis” is headed by Radion Bukaev - one of the students of Yevgeny Mironov.
9. Yelets city museum of local lore
Although founded in 1901, its history consists of permanent destruction in the first years of its existence. He suffered from both revolutionaries and their opponents. The collection had to be restored again many times. Including after the Second World War. It has existed in its present form since 1971 without much upheaval. The funds contain typical local history materials about Yelets and its environs.
10. House Museum of Yelets Lace
The iconic building is blue. It is associated with all knowledgeable people with local lace. Currently, the house-museum is owned by a company that produces all kinds of products using lace-making techniques. Tourists are shown the process of making different things and told about the history of fishing. Here you can see ready-made tablecloths, dresses, napkins.
11. Museum of Folk Crafts and Crafts
Exists since 2007. The purpose of its creation is the revival of interest in local crafts. Among the exhibits are samples of beadwork, blacksmithing, wood carving, weaving. Items of clothing, furniture, toys and many practical things - all this is made using the most amazing techniques. The halls of the museum are spacious, guides give historical information about any of the areas.
12. The house-museum of T. N. Khrennikov
At the opening in 2000, the composer himself was present. This is the only museum in his honor in Russia. Some halls recreate the interiors of the house, in others personal items are presented, in the third - both. The house constantly sounds music written by Tikhon Nikolaevich. In the courtyard there is a monument to Khrennikov: a bust on a pedestal, and against the background of the piano cover with the musician's years of life.
13. Literary and Memorial Museum of I. A. Bunin
Accepts visitors since 1988. It is the first museum dedicated to Bunin. In this house he lived during his studies at the gymnasium. The building is one-story, the exposure is distributed in seven rooms. Inside, furniture of that era was collected to authentically recreate the atmosphere surrounding the writer. There are personal items, books, memorabilia. During the inspection guides tell a lot of stories about Yelets and Bunin.
14. Monument to I. A. Bunin
Located at the Victory Fountain. Established in honor of the 125th anniversary of the writer. Bunin is depicted relaxedly sitting on an armchair and looking at the city. The name of the writer is carved on a pedestal. Materials - bronze and granite. The authors of the project are the artist Grishko and the architect Achkasova. This is not the only monument to Bunin in Yelets, but the most beloved, both by locals and tourists.
15. The house-museum of N. N. Zhukov
He began to receive visitors in 1992. Moving from room to room, you can learn about the biography and creative path of the artist. He himself said during his lifetime that he would like to see his museum in Yelets, where he spent his childhood and youth. The collection was replenished with personal belongings of Zhukov, transferred to his relatives, as well as genuine works. The exposition is constantly changing so that visitors are interested in returning here.
16. Monument to the artist Zhukov
Opened in 2008. The composition includes an artist sitting on a bench, the girl he is painting, and a boy looking with interest at the master’s canvas. The monument looks especially beautiful in late spring and summer: there are a lot of greenery around, flower beds are in bloom. Although at other times of the year the composition is lively and curious. A popular place for photo shoots among locals and visitors.
17. Memorial sign in honor of the 850th anniversary of Yelets
Installed on Red Square in 1996. Dedicated to the 850th anniversary of the founding of the city. Architect Shashin was responsible for creating the project. The place was not chosen by chance: here in the past there was a ruined cathedral. The composition unites representatives of different eras, one way or another connected with the city. In 2010, the silent monument was renovated, and a dome with a cross was added.
18. Karakum bridge
Thrown across the river called Fast Pine. Traffic on it has been permitted since 1933. The length is 198 meters. It was destroyed and restored more than once. At the turn of the 70s and 80s, it lost its former status due to the construction of a "competitor". Then he became a pedestrian, but in the 90s it was completely closed due to an emergency condition. A large reconstruction was completed in 2005, but the bridge was left pedestrian.
19. Vorgolsky rocks
They can be easily found near the village of Nizhny Vorgol. The places are picturesque, convenient to get to. A river flows nearby, on the coast in the warm season there are many campers with tents. There are several sections with cliffs. They are quite tall and suitable for climbing. There are elevations with bizarre “outgrowths” that seem to hang over the lowlands. They are part of the Vorgolsky Rocks nature reserve.
20. The estate of Taldykin
The estate stands on the banks of the river at the very water. With her there was a water mill, which was burned during the retreat during the Second World War. At the same time, the brick frame itself has been preserved to this day. The fault is the special strength of the walls, whose thickness is about a meter. Under Soviet rule, the estate was a recreation center, now private property. Nearby is the nature reserve "Vorgolsky Rocks".
Church of St. Michael the Archangel
A feature of this temple is that each part of it has a different style due to the fact that they were built at different times. The bell tower was erected in the late 80s of the 18th century, the refectory was dated 1828, the church was built in the period from 45 to 60 of the 19th century.
Since the 30s of the 20th century, the church was closed; the city’s shops kept products on its territory and in the premises of the church. The reopening took place only in 2016 for the holiday of Happy Easter. Since then, the temple has not stopped its work.
The current location of the monastery in Yelets is not very convenient for monks; there is a monastery in the northwestern part of the city, in a densely populated microdistrict. The Trinity Monastery was first mentioned in chronicles at the end of the 16th century, at that time the monastery was wooden, but already numbered 25 people.
The monastery survived two revivals, the first occurred in the second half of the 18th century by decree of Catherine the Second. The second time the monastery was restored in 2006. Not all the buildings of the monastery have survived to our days, the first time they were restored by the merchant of the first guild Shaposhnikov with his wife, and today the living monks are doing this on the spot.
Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The first building was made of wood, but in the late 60s of the 18th century, the laying of the first stone for the construction of a stone temple was completed. The main shrine of the temple is considered the icon of the Queen of Heaven with outstretched arms and a heavenly army, in this form, according to ancient legend, the Virgin Mary appeared to Timur Tamerlan, who was preparing for the attack. After this sign, he deployed his warriors and went home.
In the 30s of the last century, the church was closed, it was empty until 1993. During this period, the roof leaked, the masonry became vulnerable. The next four years, restoration work was carried out and by the year 97 the church began to function again
The temple was rebuilt in the 90s of the last century, now there are divine services, but this was not always the case. Since the 30s, a dilapidated building was used as a granary, and before that it was simply empty. Significant damage to the temple was caused by a bomb during the Second World War, the shell hit the refectory. The church was erected immediately after the war with Napoleon and was called to glorify the soldiers who drove the French away.
Church of the Transfiguration
The opening of the temple dates back to the 70s of the 18th century, with which it was often rebuilt and restored. In the 30s, like all the churches in the country, the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior was closed, and the building was given to "cultural enlightenment", in the late 30s it was used as a barn.
Since the beginning of the 70s of the last century, the church has become an architectural monument, but they began to rebuild it only a decade later. Today, the church hosts worship services on holidays and weekends.
The pedestrian street in Yelets is called Mira Street or the local Arbat, it is completely closed to vehicles. The pedestrian has been over 400 years old, in tsarist times, merchants built their houses here, who usually had a shop on the ground floor. Nowadays, these mansions are perfectly preserved on Torgovaya Street, they also have many shops, which is why tourists first of all go here for souvenirs.
Museum of the artist V. S. Sorokin
This attraction is quite young, it was opened in 2006. The Sorokin Cultural Center is a two-story building, on the ground floor there is an exposition of paintings of the 18-20th century, as well as ancient Russian paintings that have survived to our times. The second floor is completely occupied by an exhibition of paintings by Sorokin, for which in the year of his 85th birthday he received a gold medal.
The exposition was opened and is under the personal supervision of collector Krikunov.
House-Museum of I. Bunin
Literators know that for some time the future Nobel laureate I. Bunin studied in Yelets. The idea of creating a memorial complex arose a long time ago. Historians helped to realize the idea, the writer lived in several places in Yelets, the house in which he lived the longest was chosen. The old house was completely restored and recreated the identical interior of the time. This museum is the only one in Russia.
Zhukov House Museum
The future national artist Nikolai Zhukov spent his childhood and youth in Yelets; the museum is the only one in Russia. The opening was attended by the wife and children of the artist, who replenished the collection with personal belongings and photographs of Zhukov. The museum exhibits many original works of the artist; the collection is constantly updated with Zhukov’s daughter.
In the museum you can not only see the artist’s work and the environment in which he grew up, but also watch a documentary about him.
Architecture lovers primarily seek to get to this place, since the governor’s house is considered the oldest building in Yelets. For ordinary inhabitants, the construction is not very attractive, an ordinary old house. But true connoisseurs will be able to consider the unique historical monument, of which it is. The house is characterized by a clean old Russian style of construction, it was built in the 18th century. It came to us with some alterations, but common features nevertheless remained.
You can only admire the oldest house from the outside, you won’t get inside, since this is a private property.
City Museum of Local Lore
The idea of creating a local history museum in Yelets belongs to M. M. Prishvin and at the beginning of the 20th century he brought it to life. When in 1919 Mamontov and his White Guards captured Yelets, the museum was completely looted, all that was valuable disappeared from it. Three years later, the museum was restored, during the Second World War all exhibits were evacuated, then returned back. Now the museum is functioning, almost every tourist strives to visit the museum of local lore and learn more about Yelets.
Combine "Yelets Lace"
The light industry enterprise is known far beyond the borders of our country; its products are distinguished by originality. Much attention is paid to handmade work, which is especially appreciated. Nowadays, the plant produces a wide range of products, more than 2000 items, which has been repeatedly awarded with awards of various levels. You can study the history of development by visiting the Yelets Lace Museum, which is located nearby.
Monument to the 850th anniversary of Yelets
In place of the Resurrection Cathedral in 96 of the last century, a monument was erected in which you can see the whole history of Yelets. The monument is a unity of the Old Russian Prince, a warrior from the Second World War and a militia. Behind them, on a small hill, is the Motherland. For several years, the monument has been considered a functioning chapel.
An artificially created obstacle on the Bystraya Sosna River is known to many lovers of extreme water sports. The construction dates back to the 19th century, it is believed that this is all that remains of the old mill. Lovers of unspoiled nature and outdoor activities come here from the farthest corners of our country. In the warm season, locals hunt here by fishing and hunting small game.
What sights to see in Yelets in one or two days
If you arrived in the city for only 1-2 days and time is very limited, you can minimize visits to all memorable places. Everyone has the right to choose for themselves the most interesting sights, but I still advise a couple:
- If your visit lasts only a day, pay attention to the shopping street. Here you can buy souvenirs and you can see a lot.
- Lingering for a couple of days, then do not deprive other than Torgovaya Street a monument to the 850th anniversary of the city, the Karakum Bridge, the local history museum, Bunin’s house.
For longer stays, plan more extensive excursions.
It is interesting and easy to walk around Yelets, and explore historical places
Where to go with children
If the trip is made with children, then the kids need something to do. For the boys, various reconstructions of historical events in which everyone is actively involved will be interesting. In addition, visiting Shopping Street and buying sweets and pastries will not pass by, everyone loves goodies. A good leisure option would be to visit the Yelets Lace plant, where they show the process of creating unique things for the home.
With children you can have a good time in one of the parks
Interesting places in the city
Advice to those who are in Yelets, do not sit in a hotel, go for a walk around the city. The historical center of the Lipetsk region will delight the eye with ancient architecture. If you are here, be sure to visit these places:
- Combine "Yelets Lace" and the Museum of Lace,
- Antique store, which is located in the mansion of Zaisulov,
- Bunin House Museum,
- Shopping street with its architecture and unusual shops, in which you can buy many different little things.
Well, if there is time, then the Vorgolsky rocks will fall in love with you forever, you will not find such beauty anywhere else. The village is located near the Oryol and Voronezh regions, which allows you to visit Oryol, Voronezh and other interesting places.
A Brief History of Yelets
The first mention of Yelets is in the Nikon Chronicle for 1146. Then the village was a powerful fortification to protect against the steppe nomads. At the time of mentioning, Yelets had already become the center of the specific principality, which was under the control of the Chernigov prince.
In the Middle Ages, for several centuries, the enemy troops of Khan Batu, Uzbek, Tamerlane, Togai, Girey, etc., often attacked the city.
At the beginning of the 17th century, Yelets received the status of a county town. The borders of the Russian Empire expanded, and the city lost its military significance. Various crafts and trade began to develop in it.
At the beginning of the eighteenth century, a large territorial redistribution occurred, after which Yelets became part of the Voronezh province. During this period, Peter I built a fleet in Voronezh for the Azov operation. The road to Voronezh passes by Yelets, so the king often visited this city. He stayed in the house of the governor P. Rossikhin.
In Yelets, there were many blacksmithing and iron-making enterprises that produced weapons and military equipment.
In 1809, Emperor Alexander I noted the most distinguished cities as “royal gratitude and appreciation for the great service of Russia.” The list of these cities included and Yelets.
The streets of Yelets in the nineteenth century
In 1812, with the invasion of Napoleon, the city was distinguished by special courage. The 33rd Yelets Infantry Regiment fought near Smolensk and on the Borodino Field. In honor of the exploits of the Yelets regiment, various monuments and memorial plaques were erected.
The city also accomplished a feat during the Great Patriotic War, blocking the path to Moscow, which significantly affected the outcome of the battles. During the battle on the outskirts of the capital, the troops of the Southwestern Front in December 1941 carried out the successful "Yelets Operation". As a result of victory in this battle, a significant part of the 2nd field Nazi army was defeated.
Yelets after liberation
In 2007, Yelets received the honorary title "City of Military Glory."
This city has a rich historical heritage and is listed in the UNESCO catalog. In 2006, the local city council decided to create a tourist-recreational type zone in Yelets.
Temple of the Elets Mother of God
The building began to be erected in 1893 and completed 28 years later. The temple was built on the 500th anniversary of the appearance of the Virgin. She dreamed of the commander of the Mongol Horde, Tamerlan in 1395, and ordered him to leave the territory of Russia. He obeyed and soon left the borders of Russian lands.
From 1929 to 1988 the construction was used for business activities. The temple opened in the early 90s after the restoration.
Temple of Our Lady of Elets
Church of the Archangel Michael
At the intersection of Oktyabrskaya and Sverdlov streets is the ancient church of St. Michael the Archangel. Over the entire period of existence since 1788, the building was rebuilt more than once, so it is a complex of elements built in different styles.
The oldest building is a bell tower. The refectory was completed in 1828. The church itself was reconstructed during the period 1845-1860.
During the reign of the Bolsheviks in the 30th year of the last century, the temple was closed and given to the warehouse needs of merchants.
Church of the Archangel Michael
In 2016, the building was transferred to the Ascension Cathedral, after which the church was reconstructed and reopened for worship.
Chapel in honor of Alexander II
This building was built in honor of Alexander Romanov, the king who died in 1881 as a result of an assassination attempt. It was built of stone during the craft council in 1882. In 1902, the institution stopped working, after which prayers were no longer held here.
In Soviet times, the chapel was used as storage space. In the early 90s, it was restored in accordance with the original form in the form of the imperial crown.
Chapel in honor of Alexander II
With the current prison, there is a 19th-century building similar to an old castle. It created a museum that includes eight cameras, which has been operating since 2011. This prison building was built in 1830.
Visitors will see the life and atmosphere of prisoners in the period XIX - XX centuries. The chambers exhibit expositions of 4 time periods from 1864 to 1990. There is also an exhibition of things that the jailers took from the arrested.
Museum exposition Yelets Ostrog
Address: city of Yelets Proletarskaya street 1b.
Mode of operation: Mon-Fri - from 8.30 to 18.00, Saturday - from 8.30 to 16.00.
Museum of Local Lore
The initiator of the creation of a local history museum is M.M. Prishvin. It was opened in 1901. However, during the revolution, after the capture of Yelets, the cavalry of Mamontov, museum exhibits were stolen. In 1922 it was restored under the new name “Proletarian Museum”.
During the offensive of the Nazi invaders, museum exhibits were moved to the rear, and after the war they were returned to their place.
Yelets Museum of Local Lore
House-Museum of N.T. Khrennikova
In 2000, in Yelets, the house-museum of the Russian composer and pianist Tikhon Nikolayevich Khrennikov started working. The discovery took place in the presence of the musician himself. He was born and raised in this house, graduated from the Moscow Conservatory and, while still a student, wrote his first symphony.
The museum is a wooden house on one floor. Expositions are located in 3 halls. Here are personal belongings, instruments of the composer, as well as his books, documents, records, and more.
House-Museum of N.T. Khrennikova
After the death of Khrennikov, it was decided to bury in the courtyard of the house-museum.
Address: city of Yelets St. Mayakovsky 16.
Work mode: Wed-Sun - from 9.30 to 16.30. non-working days - Mon-Tue.
House-Museum of N.N. Zhukova
The museum of the Russian painter N. Zhukov began its work in the early 90s. He is in the house where the future artist spent his childhood and youth. The opening ceremony was attended by the wife of the painter and his children. The family made a great contribution to the arrangement of the museum's expositions. Personal belongings, photographs, documents of Nikolai Nikolaevich Zhukov, as well as a large number of his original works, were transferred.
House-Museum of N.N. Zhukova
The collection of canvases is regularly growing at the expense of the funds of the memorial workshop in Moscow.
House-Museum of N.N. Zhukova is a typical architectural building of the second half of the nineteenth century with carved platbands.
Address: city of Yelets St. December 9th 42.
Work mode: Tue-Sat - from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m., closed on Monday, Sunday.
Museum I.A. Bunina
The future literary genius I.A. lived and studied in Yelets. Bunin. The idea of creating a museum appeared in 1968, but for a long time they could not decide on a place, since the writer lived in different places and often moved. As a result of 20 years of searching, they stopped at the house where the writer lived for more than 3 years while studying at the Yelets gymnasium. It is a typical old one-story house of the 19th century.
The museum exhibits documents, photographs, personal items, letters, as well as works by Bunin, translated into different languages of the world.
Expositions in the Museum of I.A. Bunina
Address: city of Yelets St. Maxim Gorky 16.
Work mode: Wed-Sun - from 9.30 to 16.30. day off - Mon-Tue
Military History Museum
In 2010, thanks to collector V. Valuev, another attraction of the city appeared - the Military History Museum. It is located opposite the stela "Yelets - a city of military glory."
The expositions tell visitors about the activities of the 18th Hussar Nezhinsky Regiment, which was located in Yelets from the end of the 19th century until the start of the revolution.
Here are household items of a hussar, old photos, military equipment, weapons, uniforms, awards.
House of industriousness
On Oktyabrskaya street there is an old two-story log house. Previously, it was called the house of industriousness, where poor girls could get an education. In Soviet times, the building did not lose its purpose - there was a school in it.
Now in the house various offices and service departments are located. Also, an old cast-iron staircase has been preserved here.
Ancient staircase in the house of industriousness
The tobacco factory is a complex of buildings built at the end of the 19th century by the merchant Zausailov. Her products were valued and delivered even to the imperial court.
In Soviet times, the factory worked as intended. In 1956, it was converted to produce cigarettes and cigarettes.
Currently, all the factory buildings are empty.
Tobacco factory Zausailova
The tower was built in 1868 and provided the first city water supply with a length of 7 km. Only wealthy citizens could use it.
In 1975, a clock was hung on each side of the tower.
In Yelets, a huge number of all kinds of attractions, so it certainly will not be boring. In addition to museums and churches, you can visit the Noble Garden - the largest and oldest park in the city. Fans of natural beauty are advised to travel outside the city to the village of Nizhny Vorgol - here is a unique attraction Vorgolsky Rocks.
The Victory Banner Memorial
Monument in honor of the 70th anniversary of the victory in the Great Patriotic War and the Yelets operation, the grand opening took place on December 4, 1945. The memorial was laid on the site of the defeat of the Nazis, where the start of victories near Moscow in 1941 was laid.
This ensemble is part of the Yelets Frontier architectural complex. In the center of the memorial is an eleven-meter monument, on the column is a composition of five warriors. Important dates of the Elets operation are carved on the stele, and army units and formations that participated in the battle are also listed.
The complex has a chapel, as well as ample parking.
House-Museum of Yelets Lace
The lace house keeps old traditions and weaving techniques of various products: napkins, umbrellas, wraps. Yelets craftswomen made dresses for the Romanov family.
This is not only a workshop, but also a museum that stores centuries-old exhibits that received awards at exhibitions in Paris (1937), Montreal (1967).
Yelets City Museum of Local Lore
In 1901, the museum opened with the aim of promoting primary school education. In 1918, the writer M. M. Prishvin became the initiator of the creation of a local history museum.
After the civil war, proletarian artifacts were housed here.
To date, exhibitions have been organized on the nature of Yelets, the locals who participated in the war of 1812, as well as an exhibition of the merchant estate.
At first, the tower performed a water-pressure function, after which it changed its purpose and became a sentry. The construction was built in 1868.
In the 1970s, Lenin Square was reconstructed, the old tower did not fit into the new look. Appearance worsened the condition of the teeth located at the top of the structure. They were undermined during the Second World War.
They intended to demolish the building, but at the suggestion of the front-line soldier A. Yatsunov, the tower was restored and became a city clock. The chimes began on May 1, 1975. This is one of the places for walking and photo shoots of the newlyweds.
Karakumovsky pedestrian bridge
The structure was built in 1931 and is used as a pedestrian crossing. The length of the bridge is 198 meters. The pylon of the cemetery served as a bridge support during the construction.
During the Great Patriotic War, the bridge served as an important strategic point. After the hostilities, repairs were carried out.
For several years it was used as a car crossing. Overhaul completed in 2005.
Memorial sign in honor of the 850th anniversary of the founding of the city of Yelets
The monument was designed by N. A. Kravchenko, a sculptor and teacher at a local university. Dedicated to the defenders of Yelets, established in 1996.
The monument consists of several figures: Motherland, local militia, WWII soldier and prince.
The complex is dedicated to the participants of the Afghan war, those who died away from home, protecting the interests of the motherland.
In the square there are exhibits of demilitarized equipment that was involved in the course of hostilities: an armored personnel carrier, guns and a self-propelled howitzer.
Monument to the soldiers of the 150th separate tank brigade (Tank T-72)
The construction was established in memory of the soldiers of the 150th tank brigade, who participated in the fight against Nazi invaders.
The tank is a symbol of courage and dedication. The baptism of the tank division, which cut the way for the invaders to Efremov, took place in Yelets.
Monument Aircraft MIG-25
Located at the entrance to the city. A monument was erected in honor of the pilots who participated in the Great Patriotic War.
At first, this aircraft was adopted by an African country that fought for rights and independence. Then installed in the Lipetsk region.
The Galicia Mountain Reserve
The reserve is listed in the Guinness Book of Records, as the smallest in area in the world. Territory - 19 ha.
The main attraction is rocks with unique plants.
In the 1990s, a nursery of rare birds was organized here, which are listed in the Red Book: falcon-saker, eagle-burial ground, etc.