Travel

Wanping fortress on the map of sights of beijing (china)

Pin
Send
Share
Send


Wanping Fortress was built in 1638, during the reign of the imperial Ming Dynasty. The main goal of the fortress was to defend Beijing from Li Zichang's rebels. Previously, the fortress was called Gunji and for a long time was the center of the city with the same name. In 1937, the Second Sino-Japanese War began, which was marked by shelling of the Wanping Fortress and the bridge.

In the middle of the 20th century, the construction of the second ring road was started in Beijing, so most of the walls of the fortress were destroyed and demolished. A little later, some of its sections were restored.

The walls of the fortress are built in a rectangle. The length of all walls is 640 meters. The fortress has two gates, which are located in the east and west. There is also a bridge located on the west side. Inside the fortress is a street that leads from one gate to another. It houses the Museum of the Second Chinese War, as well as various shops selling goods for tourists: souvenirs and postcards. A little further down the street there are well-preserved residential neighborhoods, as well as a museum of traditional life and culture of the Chinese population.

The fortress itself is surrounded on all sides by beautiful green parks, in which there are many different sculptures. Also, sculptures and statues are inside the fortress, for example, the sculpture of Emperor Kangxi and Qianlong, which belonged to the Qing Dynasty.

In front of the entrance to the Marco Polo Bridge, various sculptures on household and historical themes are installed. For example, a huge sculptural work “The Awakened Lion”. In 2000, the "Sculpture Garden" was opened, fully dedicated to the military operations of China against Japan. The area of ​​the entire garden is 2.5 hectares, and in its center stands a stele, 15 meters high, with the text written by Jiang Jimin. The garden itself is surrounded by a huge beautiful park with an area of ​​8 hectares.

Along one of the walls of the fortress are rows of stone barrels, with carved lists of crimes by the Japanese military in those times when there was a war. By 2000, there were approximately 2700 of them, but the administration of the museum considered that these barrels took up a lot of space, so most of the barrels were moved to a nearby forest park. Now there are only about 500 of these barrels left.

Wanping Fortress

Wanping Fortress (Chinese 宛平 城, Pinyin Wǎnpíng Chéng, English Wanping City, Wanping Town, Wanping Castle) is an ancient fortress on the southwestern outskirts of modern Beijing. Located in the Fengtai District of the city, on the Fifth Ring Road, about 15 km southwest of the historic center of Beijing. It stands on the left (eastern) bank of the Yongding River (Chinese 永定河, English Yongding River), protecting the road to Beijing via the Marco Polo Bridge.
Wanping Fortress was originally built during the Minsk Dynasty (1638) to protect Beijing from Li Zicheng's rebels. Its early name is Gongji (拱 极 城, Gongji Cheng, 'Gongji Fortress'). Wanping Fortress has long been the center of the eponymous town, which recently became part of Beijing.
With the shelling of the fortress and bridge by the Japanese in July 1937, the Second Sino-Japanese War began, which ended only with the end of World War II (for more details see the Incident at Lugouqiao).
Since the walls of Beijing were demolished in the second half of the XX century. for the construction of the Second Ring Road (although some of its sections were restored at the beginning of the XXI century), Wanping Fortress remains a valuable example of authentic ancient city walls in Beijing, and is an important tourist attraction for both citizens and visitors to Beijing.
The fortress walls of Wanping have a rectangle shape, 640 m from east to west and 320 m from north to south. They have only two gates - east and west, the bridge starts from its western gate. The main street inside the fortress runs from east to west, from one gate to another. To the north of this street, the Museum of the Second Sino-Japanese War (中国 人民 抗日战争 纪念馆) is currently located inside the fortress, along it there are various shops aimed at tourists. And aside from it, traditional residential neighborhoods are preserved. There is also a museum of traditional Chinese city life.
Damage from Japanese shelling is still preserved on the walls of the fortress, and marked with plaques.
The walls and towers of the fortress were restored in 2003-2004.

Current state

Wanping Fortress was originally built during the Minsk Dynasty (1638) to protect Beijing from Li Zicheng's rebels. Its earliest name is Hongji (拱 极 城, Gongji cheng, 'Gunji Fortress'). Wanping Fortress has long been the center of the eponymous town, which recently became part of Beijing.

With the shelling of the fortress and bridge by the Japanese in July 1937, the Second Sino-Japanese War began, which ended only with the end of World War II (for more details see the Incident at Lugouqiao).

Current status edit |

Pin
Send
Share
Send